Summer Rubber

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Clif
barnacle

Summer Rubber

Post by Clif » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:08 am

Do you wear Summer Rubber :?:

Or is that an oxymoron :?:

It seems with the rise of marketing bareback is increasingly going the way of ol' Laz 8)

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:16 am

No summer rubber, maybe just a long sleeve wettie top for slightly cooler summer mornings, otherwise a rashie is perfect. cant stand people in rubber in summer

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:39 am

A wetty top is summer rubber :wink:

$200 bucks!!!

I think I should stick to the ol' t-shirt :shock:

Business good huh Salty :?: :lol:

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:51 am

Spring suit for the dawn paddle out (its cold man!)
Otherwise I wear a rip curl short sleeve top. Like a rashy but lined with silver the guy in the shop said it is lined with titanium :shock: is this possible? 40bucks at the SDS sale bondi junction.
As much as I love boardies and no shirt I have now sent four chunks of cancer off my back over the years so its cover up as much as I can.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:55 am

Jimi wrote:cant stand people in rubber in summer
your dad should have worn rubber.

cs
regular

Post by cs » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:22 am

there's a few wetsuit police out there...
I'm happy in my springy, and boardies for a quickie.
I find if i surf for too long in boardies they get wax throught them and get real sticky on my legs...

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:53 am

Shorts for me untill i have a angry rash on my stomach, then i wear a rashie. Might get a wettie top for this summer. The Rippy Stealth looks good.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:57 am

Free balling with boardies... Its summer FFS. I was begining to boil in a wetty today...

Only problem is the hectic rash down near the snail trail... :shock: even more so on a stand up, along with the nipples aswell :cry:
clif wrote:I think I should stick to the ol' t-shirt :shock:
:shock: thats how you get the most hectic nipple rash possible... unless you got one of thse 'made for surfin' t-shirts. dunno hwo they go

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:48 pm

Personally Ive never been a fan of surfing shirtless, how the fk are you meant to protect your chest and stomach from sunburn? I either had to suffer with sun screend up wax, or sun burnt chest.
Living in SA it not an issue tho but like most southern staters i have perment rashie/wetsuit tan lines.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:53 pm

Nappy wrote:how the fk are you meant to protect your chest and stomach from sunburn?
lol nappy, do you surf on your back?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Ringmaster wrote:There may even be a handful of days in January/February when the short sleeve springy gets a run.....but only if the sun is out......

Hee hee. That's one thing I don't miss about Vicco.

Deebs
Grommet

Post by Deebs » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:55 pm

http://www.imperialoldschool.com/defaul ... e=Wetsuits

these are sweet... i've got the beaver tail and it does me from about November - May/June[/img]

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:58 pm

wanto wrote:
Nappy wrote:how the fk are you meant to protect your chest and stomach from sunburn?
lol nappy, do you surf on your back?
No, are you a bogga? Im not lying down all the time, sitting out the back ect......10 mins and the sun toasts ya now dayz.

Especialy if u grew up in cold waters, our lilly white chests are sensitive to the sun :P

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Long sleeve rash vest for the warmer sultry days. Another long sleeve vest with (I think) 1mm rubber for the chest area. Both are quite good and I recommend them.

Springy in the dawn patrol if I make it out for that.

Honestly people, wear something, cover up. 2 hours in summer sun is enough to fry you in a seriously bad way. I have skin that gets super brown but I cover up as much as I can. And why would you want to slap a litre of sunblock on you every two hours.

Smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for life is a benign activity compared to daily two hours of sun exposure in summer.

As a surfer you should know what you are doing. Without question, by far, daylight second, the most dangerous thing you will encounter surfing through summer is the sun exposure.

Next is the flying boards of kooks and angry surfers who can't get a wave amongst the masses.

Drowning and sharks are a mere trifle.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:33 pm

I like shortjohn's...always have and always will. Short sleeve or longsleeve rashie underneath if it's chilly...or blueys.

1mm short sleeve vest and boardies is the alternate.
Rashies on their own with boardies shit me...
Obviously share the same fashion (or lack of) sense Ronny. they're just too easy to get in and out of, no sunburn with only a bit of blockout, no rash and dry boardies (or stubbies for those fashionistas :wink: ).

Thanks for the photo Clif, didn't realise the long johns were so stylin' :lol:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:Rashies on their own with boardies shit me...
Yeah, I know how you feel but what can you do! Gotta wear something.

In spite of my earlier rant about always wearing something, I might go out in a rashie and my sluggoes this summer. The crowds might part at the sight of it and I might get a few waves.

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:50 pm

I've got a long sleeve vest thing, a short sleeve one (because the long sleeve is dying) a rashie & one of those made to surf t-shirts (was on special & I needed one that day), also got the springy (new one this year)

Having said that, if I'm heading out for an hour or so in the summer I usually just wack on some sunscreen & go for it, but I spend a lot of time laying on my board instead of sitting, or under the water next to my board when long lulls come in,

But yeah the sunscreen & zinc on the face & legs (and ears) cover it. and the vests etc. keep ya warm with the earlies & lates (hazards of office work, be warned groms do a trade!)