Advice on uncalled-for drop ins

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:44 pm

^^yeah it's easy to talk on a forum but.

I think we all write down what we'd like to think we'd do in these threads re dropins etc. That's why I always go all Dr Phil, 'cause I'd like to do that, I think it'd be really effective and good all round.

But the truth is I know I wouldn't be like that at all, I'd give the guy a break on one dropin cause we all make mistakes, and if he did it again I'd tell him that was number two, don't get to number three. And magically he wouldn't. Because I am a complete bastard in the water. Even as a reformed grown-up surfer.

bendoor

Post by bendoor » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:08 pm

1. Call LOUDLY for a wave i.e. "i'm on it!!"
2. If he drops in keep on surfing and give out a few "oi" while staying as close as possible, usually they pull off
3. If they're a prick and keep on the wave, surf it out until you both pull off/wipeout. Then don't crack the shits, but say something along the lines of "how was that necessary? I don't spoil your waves, so can you not spoil mine? I thought we were mates"
4. If none of that works and he keeps on dropping in, get a senior club member to have a word with him that they have had complaints of him dropping in on people and to clean up his act. or just resort to violence

twistedrifter

Post by twistedrifter » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:23 pm

I was angry with my friend,
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe,
I told him not, my wrath did grow.
William Blake.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:And if he didn't believe in magic, what would you do then if he did go to number three - O Zen warrior/master of the implied threat?
Nobody goes to number three. :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:05 pm

Wear a Gath and yell out Timmy all the time, like you have tourettes or something. Paddle way to earlier blocking his path and then "Timmy!!!!!"

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:21 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Revolution wrote:Had some dick drop in on me today, how did i stop it? I grabbed his leggy, he fell off then i gave him a spraying.

No violence, just telling him to get stuffed. Didnt do it again.
Come off it dammit, you did not! :lol:

You are sooo not a tough guy.

Nicko don't retaliate with a drop in yourself, Brainiac will just take it as a reason to redouble his efforts and you'll have lost the chance to make a difference.
no one picked up on this :lol:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:40 pm

twistedrifter wrote:I was angry with my friend,
I was angry with my foe,
William Blake.
fucking best first post ever.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:00 pm

wanto wrote:
twistedrifter wrote:I was angry with my friend,
I was angry with my foe,
William Blake.
fucking best first post ever.
you said that about mine too

how could you :lol: :shock:

Nicko
regular

Post by Nicko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:23 pm

twistedrifter wrote:
I was angry with my friend,
I was angry with my foe,
William Blake.

Wanto, gotta agree with you there. Twisted, most thoughtful for a first go. [/quote]

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:35 pm

I had a long running fued with this bloke who constantly pricks out by dropping in and giving cheek. One particular day I paddle out and he's there. I wait my turn for a wave and he paddles in front of me and takes off. Next wave the same and then he tries it again the third time. By now I've got the shits so on this third time I've gone deeper inside and took off and he's not expecting it and falls on the take off landing and tangling up in my leggie. We both come up after the wave passes and I lose it grabbing his board by the tail and punched the bottom of it that would have lft a nice big crater. He's calling me out now and offering me onto the beach and threatening how he's going to punch fuck out of me and I'm responding with "yeah whatever you say ". This was the worst incident I've ever had in the surf and I'm not the violent type but lost it that day.
Eventually he gets out and leaves. Now when I see this dog in the carpark he wont even look at me so he's really only a dog. There's no way I want to make a spectacle of it by rolling around in a stink with this dickhead and despite his mouthing off he's not too keen either and at the end of the day I gave him a bit of a reminder about his actions. Eventually this prick will cop a massive hiding without a doubt.
Surfing is supposed to be about enjoyment but there are times when things can blow up after left simmering for a long time.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:15 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Revolution wrote:Had some dick drop in on me today, how did i stop it? I grabbed his leggy, he fell off then i gave him a spraying.

No violence, just telling him to get stuffed. Didnt do it again.
Come off it dammit, you did not! :lol:

You are sooo not a tough guy.
Not a tough guy aye! doubting what i said ayyyeeee!!?!?! Thats it Carrol, You me Retrovision now :evil:

Oh and it did actually happen, and it was a dick who did it... A dick of a mate :lol: :lol:

But i have given off a few splashes of water into people and a few quiet words, nothing threatening when talking to them, but if they are smartasses then a splash is in order. Only 'fight' ive had in the water within last 2 or so years was actually due to a drop in ( there you go i am tough :roll: :lol: ) at DY point with a group egging on their mate. Although still hardly a fight... one punch connected for either side. I think i did a bit more damage as he went in and i kept surfing, snaking and burning his mates all session 8) (yea i had a couple mates there to, but we were out numbered). (I think i just went up a notch in KKs books :lol: )

Also Nicko i find whats really effective is when they are about to drop in (paddling) just give them a quick lil cutty and spray them, dont know how easy it is on surfboard but on a boogie just a lil lift/spray, you'll most likely get em in their face a nice lil non verbal fuck off and you havnt got much to answer for as they were just about to drop in on you. And if he is a **** odds are he wont be able to catch the wave when getting sprayed in the face/eyes. And yes NC ive done this a few times.

p.s. best option would be to just ask NC about how he deals with his brother :wink:

p.p.s. this is to long of a post :cry:

macgreggor
regular

Post by macgreggor » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:16 pm

And if all else fails and you really get to that point in your surfing desire then move to the country and eat a lot of peaches!

Butts

Post by Butts » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:18 pm

^^^^
Thats a bit harsh Ringo, but oh so TRUE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Rev :oops: :P
Your a growing lad, deal with it :wink:

silvynn
Grommet

Post by silvynn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:20 am

How about this situation? You're at your local point when a boardriders club rocks up, sticks up the comp flags, and the first heat paddles out. You've been out there patiently waiting for a wave in the already crowded conditions. The guys in the heat proceed to drop in on everyone, claiming "we have council permission to have this comp". You can't paddle down the beach cause it's a point. What do you do?

This happened to me a while back. After being dropped in on 4 or 5 times (mostly by the same guy), a set came charging in, I had priority, but the same dude started paddling inside me and I knew he was gonna drop in. So we both took off, I stayed right in the pocket behind him for the whole wave, he couldn't do anything, nice low scoring wave for that sucker, and he had to paddle all the way back out. It didn't please either of us, but at least I had the satisfaction of screwing his wave.

Are you expected to paddle in when the local boardriders rock up? I mean, this ain't the Pipe Masters here.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Ringmaster :cry: your no longer my friend.

Butts

Post by Butts » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:47 pm

silvynn wrote:How about this situation? You're at your local point when a boardriders club rocks up, sticks up the comp flags, and the first heat paddles out. You've been out there patiently waiting for a wave in the already crowded conditions. The guys in the heat proceed to drop in on everyone, claiming "we have council permission to have this comp". You can't paddle down the beach cause it's a point. What do you do?

This happened to me a while back. After being dropped in on 4 or 5 times (mostly by the same guy), a set came charging in, I had priority, but the same dude started paddling inside me and I knew he was gonna drop in. So we both took off, I stayed right in the pocket behind him for the whole wave, he couldn't do anything, nice low scoring wave for that sucker, and he had to paddle all the way back out. It didn't please either of us, but at least I had the satisfaction of screwing his wave.

Are you expected to paddle in when the local boardriders rock up? I mean, this ain't the Pipe Masters here.
Silvyn, thats an interesting question and I wonder what should the rules be :?
Some respect surely should be shown to the boardriders club, as they are representing the local club/break in various competitions. 8)
Generally their comp day will be on one day a month, usually a Sunday.
But should they get full reign of a particular break :shock:
I don't honestly know. :oops:

Anybody else got thoughts on this :?:

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:47 pm

Butts wrote:
Generally their comp day will be on one day a month, usually a Sunday.
But should they get full reign of a particular break :shock:
I don't honestly know. :oops:

Anybody else got thoughts on this :?:
I think it's cool for a comp to take over a peak on a beachy with a couple of peaks available. If they're trying to run a comp on a point that would normally see a couple of shifts of 25 guys on it through the day then they are being unreasonable. A lot of us can only surf on weekends due to work pressures and you don't get surf every weekend.

Apart from local boardriders events. There has been a proliferation of sponsered contests and surf "events". Which result in the denial of public immenity so companies can promote their products. Councils need to be aware that competitive surfers are a tiny minority and ensure that the needs of recreational surfers who aren't organised or backed by sponsership dollars get looked after.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:15 am

I think it's OK for a local boardriders club to get a free kick at part of their beach but taking over a whole pointbreak and expecting other guys to get out of the water? Can't really see that for a normal monthly ptscore. Maybe for a special event, annual memorial contest or whatever.

N+ nowadays co-exists events with recreational surfers while expecting said rec surfers to give competitors -- especially the grommets -- plenty of room to get their waves. This usually seems to work OK. Maybe that's not how it is everywhere ... I mean I know in yrs gone by we used to mercilessly kick everyone off the Peak for club events.