congratulations realsurfers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

vb
Local

congratulations realsurfers

Post by vb » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:06 pm

no discussions yet on a certain mereweather surfer's dilemmas

Holy Smoke
regular

Post by Holy Smoke » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:12 pm

mark richards arrested for possession of ecstasy ?

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:27 pm

Holy Smoke wrote:mark richards arrested for possession of ecstasy ?
well he has got a bad back....

sydney
barnacle

Post by sydney » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:10 am

Ringmaster wrote:What a joke...............

A.J has retired from the game and thought he'd pop an eccy while on holiday in London. Big fuggin deal :P

Society has gone mad these days :P

Fu.cken moral crusaders...............love to see the skeletons in their closets..................
haha... and the 15 years prior... :) Hardly performance enhancing you'd think though.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:19 am

I think he dealt with it badly, there are times that you should just keep you're trap shut and just give out enough information to keep people satisfied .... I don't go around telling my kids, family and friends what I got up to in the past (thank God I can barely remember anyway :wink: )

He could have made a brief statement and come clean to a point, and salvaged a career and enabled the NRL access to his emense talent and experience .... now he's unfortunately probably going to go down in history as the opposite to what he really is, and Newc's and other clubs for that matter will miss out on the skills he could help develop in the players .....

Ringer's is right ... so what he did a few things that God knows how many other everyday and high profile people have done, but by 'coming out' the way he did he has created his own media frenzy forcing actions from NRL and Newc's .... a damn shame I reckon' ....

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:31 am

^^ I agree, I don't really give a shit what he has done in the past, but someone of his status should of just kept his mouth shut. I bet the NRL are absolutely spewing about this as he was sitting up on a pedastal as their dream player for all the kiddies, now it has just come crashing down.
But lets remember at the end of the day, he is a footy player and they're not the smartest bunch of blokes.

And one last thing, he's not the only one, I know two very high profile players very closely that hit all that shit hard, and they've told me stories of a lot of shit that happens. So much for drug testing...........

But I personally don't really care anyway, its just another reason to put the boot into footyheads. :wink:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:00 am

Doesn't make me think less of him but very difficult to explain to a nine year old who has grown up idolising him. I wasn't planning on following up the PMs invitation to have drug talks with the kids just yet.

Its a bit like finding out Jeff Hakman was a junky :shock:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:49 am

Yeah, I agree. Its terrible for little kids to have heroes. The sooner they see that theres nobody to look up to the sooner they can become more grown up and cynical about the world and become real non losers like you smnntl :?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:40 am

Are sports people really role models? Do they really set meaningful examples? I wonder. Recall reading a recent study that cast a lot of doubt on that. Kids are way more likely to take Dad and Mum and other close relatives on board as their true role models in life. Of course this is an awkward fact for the sports-star industry to deal with; why pay a "sporting hero" a million a year if he or she doesn't really matter all that much?

I wonder too if well known people only become meaningful role models when they are seen to show some real human qualities. Johnsy's probably hurt himself more than anyone else over the years -- but I tell you, I admire his willingness to tell the truth in public. Got a lot more guts than some other "sports stars" we can probably all think of.

And I swear I'll choke on the next sanctimonious article about the subject. Journalists pretending moral outrage! Perhaps they could write a headline for it: "POT CALLS KETTLE BLACK".

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:56 am

Interesting to see mention in the papers about whether Joey had been suffering from depression or bipolar disorder for which I guess you could read what used to be called manic depression. Having known a couple of people with this problem it would explain the rollacoaster ride his career seems to have been. More than a few surfers have ridden this ride over the years.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:12 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Are sports people really role models? Do they really set meaningful examples? I wonder. Recall reading a recent study that cast a lot of doubt on that. Kids are way more likely to take Dad and Mum and other close relatives on board as their true role models in life.
Who were your sporting heroes when you were nine Nick?
I'm sure they weren't really true role models at the time but I'd bet you were happy to believe they were.

I even still surprise myself by thinking some league players are geniuses for a few brief moments on the playing field. As usual this is dispelled when they drop the ball, open their mouths and/or are on the front page of the paper.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:15 pm

smnmntl wrote:
Not believing in heroes doesn't equate to cynicism, you fking re.tard. And it doesn't mean you can't look up to anyone.

Kids are resilient and I'm sure they can carry the burden of this heavy truth.

You on the other hand are a moron, god help your own kids if you have any. I'll bet you got a big hero-worshipping grief stiffy when Steve Irwin pegged it.
Your a tool. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Beanpole wrote:Who were your sporting heroes when you were nine Nick?
Johnny Sattler and Ken Rosewall.

Maybe we were luckier a few years ago, being a sportsperson then wasn't nearly as much of a wank as it is now, so the world they inhabited was a lot more normal than the utterly weird world of the modern sports star.

But now I think about it, I was still acutely aware that I didn't KNOW these guys. As influences they were nothing compared to my Dad or my peers at school.

jfdi
regular

Post by jfdi » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:01 pm

Beanpole wrote:Interesting to see mention in the papers about whether Joey had been suffering from depression or bipolar disorder for which I guess you could read what used to be called manic depression. Having known a couple of people with this problem it would explain the rollacoaster ride his career seems to have been. More than a few surfers have ridden this ride over the years.
Well I'll be one to admit to having this type of illness. Been battling it all my adult life. But I am sure there are others here who have experienced same or far worst things too.

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:24 pm

jfdi wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Interesting to see mention in the papers about whether Joey had been suffering from depression or bipolar disorder for which I guess you could read what used to be called manic depression. Having known a couple of people with this problem it would explain the rollacoaster ride his career seems to have been. More than a few surfers have ridden this ride over the years.
Well I'll be one to admit to having this type of illness. Been battling it all my adult life. But I am sure there are others here who have experienced same or far worst things too.
I think it was MG on Thursday night who made the comment that, if there's a positive to come out of this, it's Joey will get out there and preach the evils of recreational drug use.

Fair enough. But I reckon the greater "positive" would be to highlight the issue of depression in its various guises, and the effects.

Did the alcohol abuse bring it on or was it already there?

It's none of my business.

It's up to the people close to him getting together to help in it's treatment.

Certainly not the open media's.

JuBu
regular

Post by JuBu » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:42 pm

smnmntl wrote:... big hero-worshipping grief stiffy...
Don't care about this topic at all, but that is one ace concept - "the grief stiffy". :lol

Did you make that up, or did you read it in one of your doctor's books when he left you alone in his office for a minute?

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:49 pm

JuBu wrote:
Don't care about this topic at all, but that is one ace concept - "the grief stiffy". :lol

Did you make that up, or did you read it in one of your doctor's books when he left you alone in his office for a minute?
How about we make up a shit thread elsewhere for you to carry on with this shit.

Fuck off outta here.

JuBu
regular

Post by JuBu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:05 am

Boozer wrote:
JuBu wrote:

How about we make up a shit thread elsewhere for you to carry on with this shit.

Fuck off outta here.
Good one, Shakespeare. Why don't you threaten me with your wooden spoon?