congratulations realsurfers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:33 pm

[quote=It is a fundamentalist position, by definition. It is a statement that is often made by people who see the world in black and white, and who struggle with the concept of 'grey'. It is a statement made by the sort of people who say "either you're with us or you're agin us"!.[/quote]

Now here's a statement which is open to various interpretations.

I think you are using it to justify the use of recreational drugs, conditionally. However I agree with the statement because the majority of people in this world are shades of grey and IMHO they are the ones who lack the balanced judgement to allow them to take drugs safely.

They are part of the grey majority because they are unable to see things clearly enough to have a clear stance on something. And I think without that clear judgement they cannot assess when things are doing them damage.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:02 pm

TrevG wrote: I think you are using it to justify the use of recreational drugs, conditionally. However I agree with the statement because the majority of people in this world are shades of grey and IMHO they are the ones who lack the balanced judgement to allow them to take drugs safely.
Drugs are a personal choice. Make your choice and work out what works for you. I neither condone nor condemn drug taking, as drugs have no intrinsic value, either good or bad.

If you can only see issues in terms of black and white, wrong and right, then you probably have very little ability to make a balanced judgement on anything, let alone the very tricky game of drug use. In that respect, my view is much opposed to yours.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:07 pm

Beanpole wrote: At least you haven't called me any names yet or questioned my ability as a parent
No name calling beanpole. I welcome your point of view. I also have two children.

Hero worship is a natural phase in a child, it just needs to modified and tempered to make any use of it. A cynic is usually someone who has been let down by their heroes and decided that nothing is worth believing in any more.

BTW, I let my wife get upset about whether the kids eat enough vegies, but I'll be directing their emotional growth.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:16 pm

oldman wrote:
TrevG wrote: I think you are using it to justify the use of recreational drugs, conditionally. However I agree with the statement because the majority of people in this world are shades of grey and IMHO they are the ones who lack the balanced judgement to allow them to take drugs safely.
Drugs are a personal choice. Make your choice and work out what works for you. I neither condone nor condemn drug taking, as drugs have no intrinsic value, either good or bad.

If you can only see issues in terms of black and white, wrong and right, then you probably have very little ability to make a balanced judgement on anything, let alone the very tricky game of drug use. In that respect, my view is much opposed to yours.
I think I see where you are coming from. My concern is that The "greys" are often easily led and as such can find themselves in situations beyond their capabilities.
However, I guess the "B & W" people are very focussed (like - leaders eg Captain of the kangaroos), so the very thing that sets them apart can work against them in that they'' do whatever it takes" to keep them at the pinnacle of their succes.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:24 pm

"at least he died doing what he loved"

vb
Local

Post by vb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:53 pm

It's official. Tomorrow's first anniversary of SI's death will be a quiet family affair. However, November 15 will now become Steve Irwin Day. Mark it on your calendars

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:00 pm

vb wrote:However, November 15 will now become Steve Irwin Day. Mark it on your calendars

Gee, I'll have to arrange to get the day off. Unless it is going to be an official public holiday?

BTW, does anyone else think Bindi looks a little retarded or possibly in-bred at the very least?

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:18 pm

Coops@DY wrote:
JuBu wrote:Good one, Shakespeare. Why don't you threaten me with your wooden spoon?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ouch!
It'd be mildly amusing if I supported penriff.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:22 pm

TrevG wrote:I think I see where you are coming from. My concern is that The "greys" are often easily led and as such can find themselves in situations beyond their capabilities.
We're talking about similar things but not quite the same thing here TrevG. B & W's often have the courage to make decisions, principally because they are ignorant of subtlety and can stride in where angels fear to tread.

And they often become leaders because they will make decisions and will have great self belief. So they can often be great successes.

But invariably a lot of people get hurt by these leaders, as they don't have real leadership qualities, they just believe they do, and they always over-estimate their own abilities. I would suggest it is the B & W's of the world make up the majority of the deluded.

But we are talking about different things when we refer to seeing the grey, as what I am talking about has nothing to do with being led, nor does it relate to self awareness of your capabilities.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:33 pm

Too true. I work with a fine collection of B&Ws. A couple have an answer for everything even when they know nothing about the subject. The modern workplace promotes pseudo knowledge and pseudo experience. Rumsfeld is the extreme example.

Smnmntl no way with an avatar like youve got.

Cynic= Someone who doubts or denies the goodness of human motives, and who often displays this attitude by sneers, sarcasm,etc.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Boozer wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:
JuBu wrote:Good one, Shakespeare. Why don't you threaten me with your wooden spoon?
You had to wait till the end of the round to answer that one.. :wink: :lol:

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Revolution wrote:
Boozer wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:
No, it had already been decided when it was originally posted.

I wasn't going to bother until the sycophant chipped in.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:05 pm

Boozer wrote:
Revolution wrote:
Boozer wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:
No, it had already been decided when it was originally posted.

I wasn't going to bother until the sycophant chipped in.
Let's see. 20 points versus 18.
But a massive -290 points in the For & Against (pretty well double the next worst. I guess when you're bad, you're bad

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:15 pm

Zing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:14 pm

Yawn!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:39 pm

Boozer wrote:Yawn!
Sorry Boozer. I couldn't resist. To be honest, I have always looked favourably upon the Knights.....always favour any team from outside of Sydney. Until the new coach arrived. He's not your best asset.

"JOEY FOR COACH!!!"

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:20 pm

TrevG wrote:....Until the new coach arrived. He's not your best asset.

"JOEY FOR COACH!!!"
No worries, but I think he may be a bit preoccupied at the moment.

Here's a conspiracy theory for you; do you reckon that the purge that Smith has put through the Knights could have anything to do with recent revelations?

Couldn't care less personally. I still don't like him.

Joey is already doing great work with the younger guys. (Mullen & Co)

I hope none of the innuendo rubs off on them.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:06 pm

[quote="Boozer

Joey is already doing great work with the younger guys. (Mullen & Co)

I hope none of the innuendo rubs off on them.[/quote]

I think Joey will come through this OK. If he is sensible from here on in, he'll regain most of his lost ground. I must say I've often wondered about his occasional "out of character" actions. Maybe now explained.

And on Smith's purge, surely each player would have a drugs clause in his contract so there would be no need to go through this action of getting all the fans offside.