Surfing Bribie Island

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

lostman
charger

Surfing Bribie Island

Post by lostman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:58 pm

A mate has got the use of a house on Bribie Island for 10 days in september. Neither of us know anything about the surf there. Has anyone surfed there? Is there any? Or do I plan on driving up to caloundra,etc
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:11 pm

Caloundra's no good. Stay on Bribie. Just walk north along the beach and look right. And watch out for passing containers ships!

dreweboni

Post by dreweboni » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:25 pm

bribie island + surfing + september = nil

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:55 pm

[quote="iggy"]the northern tip of bribie gets some good surf, though is inconsistent and largely inaccessible, unless you want to take a boat across from caloundra bar..
quote]

You can, in fact, easily paddle across the passage from around Bulcock Beach, Caloundra. Leave your car in one of the parks there and get a coffee after you paddle back. Certainly you can check out the northern tip of Bribie from Caloundra side of the passage.

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:24 pm

Cheers for the info guys. Iggy nice advice! As a recently single 30 something, the karoke night sounds good!! 8)
Me thinks I'll be focusing on the fishing this trip..
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

dreweboni

Post by dreweboni » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:44 pm

And remember to walk around in bare feet. If you wear shoes you will feel out of place and people will look at you like like your a wilderbeest or sumthin like that.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:28 pm

Hey Iggy,
Is Dickys any good - seemed OK when I was 7?

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:39 pm

Now there's a title I didn't think I would see on the realsurf forums.

I grew up in this little part of the country leaving when I was about 20 for the greener pastures and bigger surf (not at the fkn moment mind you) of Maroochydore.

As mentioned only gets waves on massive swells, and mainly only when it's cyclone produced. For any hope of a wave you need to get "up the beach", i've had a few good days up near the "stop sign" (army bunker that you cannot go any further north past) with just myself and mates out.

The night-life on Bribie is non existant, you have Blueys @ Woorim, the pub on the calm side (known as Sats), or the rissol also on the calm side.

Since i've left the place has become over-run somewhat with 1) bogans (always there...but there seem to be more) 2) single mothers (bonus, at least you know they root) and 3) teenages wearing black wanting to cut their wrists (if only they did)

And you've nailed it on the head when you say concentrate on your fishing. There's usually some good whiting to be had on the beaches, occasional tailor too.

Have fun, i still go back every couple of months to catch up with mates - always feels good to leave though

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:46 pm

:lol: