The Early

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

The Paddler

The Early

Post by The Paddler » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:46 am

The sky is highlights of gold, red and purple as the sun announces itself for the day. I park the car, full of anticipation. The forecasts are for an increase in swell to break the flat spell of the last few days. The air is cold and crisp, there’s hardly any wind. Just a puff of offshore, producing a glassy finish to a shoulder high perfect peeling wave. It’s peaking in front of the clubhouse breaking left and right. There’s already someone in the water, must have gone in at last dark.

There’s some familiar faces checking the scene. “looks good”, “Yeah”. “Swell’s come up”. “It’ll probably be bigger later in the week”. “Yeah”. “Going in? ‘Yeah, I’ll see you out there”.

The wetsuits dry so the colds a bit more bearable. A quick change, walk down the sand which numbs the bottom of your feet until you hit the wet sand which is bit warmer. Then toes in the water, which is warmer still. It’s a bit cooler than last week, but still warmer than the air.

The paddle out is easy, just a bit south of the break, over the faces of the unbroken sections. The water feels warm as you turn to paddle in to your first wave. You get your share of waves, like the others out there and after an hour or so you are ready to face the day. You catch your last wave into the beach and walk up the sand to the car. Your feet are so numb that they feel like you are walking on pads and your towel feels like sand paper on your skin. But that is soon forgotten as you warm up.

That’s it - the early – and the stoke stays with you all day. :D

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:28 am

*sigh*

Man I miss it right now - best time of day for a surf.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:05 am

here's this mornings early ....

It was dark, windy and freezing ....
there was 1 familiar face , my brother, the only other person I know who is as mental as me for going surfing on mornings like this ....
the wettie was still a bit damp from yesterday making it even more uncomfortable ....
the ice cold sand that feels like crushed glass was quite pleasant compared to getting in the water ..
the paddle out was a torturous nightmare of pain, duckdiving feels like your being hit in the head with an ice pick ...
an hour later with my hands siezed and my feet aching the sun finally pops up behind the low clouds and warms my ears for a few minutes before I head in ...
then .... the excruiating pain of getting out of the wettie in the cold wind ...
finally , into the car and the heaters on ... but theres a text message from eldest daughter ... stop having fun and hurry up and get home and drive me to school ....

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:16 am

fat, shit waves this morning. better off waitting till later.

Sausage
regular

Post by Sausage » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:13 pm

I run like a maniac to the waters edge to warm up my feet. Thats the worst part of the early for me, that and running back up the beach after the surf.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:20 pm

Worst part of the early (well with the past month) is the thought, Fuck i shoulda taken the wetty outa the plastic bag nd dried it :oops:

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:31 pm

Revolution wrote:Worst part of the early (well with the past month) is the thought, **** i shoulda taken the wetty outa the plastic bag nd dried it :oops:
haha that sucks.
i hate cold wetties.
better than no wetty at all i spose

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Buy a spare, and grab one of those dryers on the road side. Not heat in them but if they blow any air they'll work. One up from the gentle spin cycle.

jako89
Grommet

Re: The Early

Post by jako89 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:12 pm

The Paddler wrote: Then toes in the water, which is warmer still. It’s a bit cooler than last week, but still warmer than the air.

....The water feels warm as you turn to paddle in to your first wave.
Certainly much different down here in Vicco.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Re: The Early

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:25 pm

jako89 wrote:
The Paddler wrote: Then toes in the water, which is warmer still. It’s a bit cooler than last week, but still warmer than the air.

....The water feels warm as you turn to paddle in to your first wave.
Certainly much different down here in Vicco.
:lol:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:48 pm

I have always made it a policy to avoid the early if at all possible unless its absolutely perfect, in some great location or I happen to wake up early and feel like a surf. :D

cheesey101
regular

Post by cheesey101 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Revolution wrote:Worst part of the early (well with the past month) is the thought, **** i shoulda taken the wetty outa the plastic bag nd dried it :oops:
ohh your not wrong their , definately a rookie mistake

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:53 am

Sausage wrote:I run like a maniac to the waters edge to warm up my feet. Thats the worst part of the early for me, that and running back up the beach after the surf.
A couple of years ago I bought some booties for rock jumps up north in winter.
Now I always wear 'em for the early surf. Cold sand. Warm feet. No worries.
And no, I'm too old to care if it looks 'cool' or not!
check it out. 8)

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:52 pm

lateralus wrote: A couple of years ago I bought some booties for rock jumps up north in winter.
check it out. 8)
I'm with you- booties are Good.

I wonder how long till I get one of those wetsuit hood/caps?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:59 pm

bookster wrote:
I used to wear one occasionally after I got my ear drilled out. Usually if it was really cold and really windy. I remember nearly taking off on one windy day. It kind of inflated from how windy it was. Must have looked funny.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:38 pm

the japanese guy who appears first in this clip isn't a very good surfer, but he's a very early surfer - five o'clock every day without fail, all year round: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7790&hl=en

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:39 pm

i wonder if my pans and zooms will ever be steady? maybe not, i love beer so much!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 am

bookster wrote:
lateralus wrote: A couple of years ago I bought some booties for rock jumps up north in winter.
check it out. 8)
I'm with you- booties are Good.

Standard attire in Vic for the winter. I like them and the extra grip is good but I'm glad to be able to get rid of them come the warmer months so I can feel the board under my feet again.

Booties keep me a lot more stable on the board but I find that I don't turn and maintain my stance as well compared to bare feet.