Surfing in the Army

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

DAC2000

Surfing in the Army

Post by DAC2000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:02 am

I am about to join the armed forces and and wondering whether I will still be able to get serious surf time? Any Army or SAS out there? :)

Holy Smoke
regular

Post by Holy Smoke » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:37 am

no surf in iraq

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:06 am

Not much at Swanbourne but watch out for the "white pointers".

Frin
Grommet

Post by Frin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 am

You would have been better off joining Navy or RAAF if you wanted to surf - Army locations are mostly in the North (Townsville, Darwin) away from the coast (Canberra, Albury, Wagga). Best you can hope for is Brisbane, Sydney (but even then Holsworthy is a fair way from the coast), or Perth.

Navy is best, with Sydney and the South Coast at Nowra, or Perth, RAAF has Williamtown in Newcastle.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:27 am

Charlie don't surf.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:35 am

giving up the surf and 'he was only 19'... :?

still here
charger

Post by still here » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:38 am

Make love ..... not war .

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:33 am

smnmntl wrote:If you're joining the army you were never anything but a kook in the first place. But you know, thanks for making us, like, safe from terrorism and everything.

Hup hup hup hup hup hup hup hup
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

JuBu
regular

Re: Surfing in the Army

Post by JuBu » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:41 am

DAC2000 wrote:I am about to join the armed forces...
Does 'about to' mean you still have time not to? If so, don't.

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:04 pm

All you civvies giving us shit eh, leave your craptastic opinion's to yourself.

DAC2000, Navy is the best option if you still want to surf, in particular Clearance Diving, Dive school is in Balmoral at HMAS Penguin, Clearance Diving Team 1 is based at HMAS Waterhen in North Sydney, then there is CDT 4 at HMAS Sterling on Garden Island in Rockingham Perth, W.A.

Being on a CD Team, you work a half day on friday.

Even if you are a Pusser there is a high chance that you will spend most of your time at Sea.

My advice? you can't have both. even if your a Raafie, Digger or Pusser. you really insist on serving and still want to Surf?, The Reserve (Chocko, Weekend Warrior) Try before you buy.

What job are you going for?

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:57 pm

All you civvies giving us shit eh, leave your craptastic opinion's to yourself.
Why :?:

mudguts
regular

Post by mudguts » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:31 pm

puurri wrote:Not much at Swanbourne but watch out for the "white pointers".
hehe.

dont listen to these other people slagging it off. defence can an excellent step up into the world. its great as a young fella, money, plenty of time off, good mates. see Australia at the least, if not parts of the world, if you get posted well. its what you make of it. I used it as a stepping stone to make opportunitys for my self i might not otherwise have got. take it for what it is.

two lines of advice

1. GET A TRADE. dont go in as a nothing cos you will come out in 4 years or 20 as not much better. chose wisely and you will build a good skill base for the rest of your life. also, go SF, its way cooler and better. too many mates wanna get out but dont know what they will do, so cant.

2. Dont stay in too long. assimilate back into the real world before you are thirty.

Army postings in sydney are generally pretty easy to get, can live anywhere south of city and be at work in 40 mins(holsworthy).

RAAF- youll get fat. but there techos learn good skill sets.

NAVY--not for me. they spend along time away from home, most of it locked in a tin can. pretty av conditions all round. very incestous.

CLEARANCE DIVERS-----POSERS. he he he. but not a bad job.

so dont be discouraged by those other people. each to there own.

all my perspective of course.

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:29 pm

I agree, also

Once you are serving don't stop studying, too many bloke's just sit at the booza at the end of the day, attend Night School and get as many Quals as you can. Higher School grades, etc.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:16 am

About to join? Then consider your position and how you value your way of life seriously first. Ask yourself what you want out of your time in, then ask yourself if your willing to potentially comply to directions given to you by someone you pity, hate, or are very good friends with. None of these can be easy. Imagine being micromanaged in almost every facet of your life, towing a line you may disagree with, doing tasks regularly you may hate, moving every couple of years sometimes without a choice so if you cop somewhere bad, you live with it. Doing everything above but on the otherside of the world for 6 months and no surf. And so on and so forth.

If you still want in, you crazy bugger, then jump in with both feet. RAAF and RAN are slacker physically but think they're king cool. If you're a poser then jump in with both feet. Army has much much more potential for landing in the poo, but if you're up for a challenge then approach it smart. Keep an open mind, keep in mind things aren't as glossy as the brochures, don't settle for something that will not get you a decent job on the outside (don't do an armed corp unless you're chasing overseas cash - if so then you're a poser and join the RAAF or RAN instead).

If you're joining then do it for the right reasons, there's already enough idiots serving, don't make it worse. And trace a job that posts to Sydney if you want to surf, there's plenty about.

DAC2000

Post by DAC2000 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:05 am

Thanks for the insights, yeah I reckon it beats what im doing now, thought about the navy for sure but..................as for the pisstakers, "nothing but a kook" crikey is that the best you can do, lame, hardly worth defending ya from Mr Al Kaida.

Cheers

Holy Smoke
regular

Post by Holy Smoke » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:01 am

DAC2000 wrote:hardly worth defending ya from Mr Al Kaida.
Cheers
you mean Al-Qaeda ?

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:25 am

You don't need to spell in the army, just grunt

DAC2000

Post by DAC2000 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:16 am

Al Qaeda? Nah Im talking about Big Al who runs the fish and chip shop down Augusta way.

8)