Crowds: Goldie or Sydney?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

muggo
regular

Crowds: Goldie or Sydney?

Post by muggo » Tue May 29, 2007 4:33 pm

Which area is the most crowded surfing wise? I was thinking today that wherever I end up working after the completion of my degree (2008) it'd have to be near some surfable coastline. I've never surfed around Sydney but have noticed a fair bit of complaining re: crowds (same goes for the GC) So which one takes the title for most crowded :?:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue May 29, 2007 4:49 pm

iggy wrote:GOLD COAST BY FAR
and the award for the least amount of consistent swells
Yuck! What a dump. *Flick imaginary side part from side to side and sips Latte with legs crossed like Peter Allen*

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue May 29, 2007 5:04 pm

Anyone still got those pics of South Steyne and Collaroy in that July swell?

Mrs Kreepy
Local

Post by Mrs Kreepy » Tue May 29, 2007 5:08 pm

i'd rather the goldy crowds over sydney crowds due to the fact that everytime i surf in sydney i get the sh#t's after about half an hour because of all the knobwrench poser kooks out there that get in your way and follow you around when you paddle to different, less crowded peaks.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue May 29, 2007 5:11 pm

Gotta hate that. Use whatever "local knowledge" I may possess - wind change, tide filling, etc move to another spot and hang there 10 mins. Get one decent wave and 1/2 the friggen beach comes over to say hi.

Edit: Bogus sh-sh-sh-shark! call's are about to make another come back :lol:

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Tue May 29, 2007 5:23 pm

Shaunm wrote:Gotta hate that. Use whatever "local knowledge" I may possess - wind change, tide filling, etc move to another spot and hang there 10 mins. Get one decent wave and 1/2 the friggen beach comes over to say hi.

Edit: Bogus sh-sh-sh-shark! call's are about to make another come back :lol:
Haha there's no escape! I fall in the kook category, but I can use the knowledge built up over the last few years to try and get a sneaky break alone, but yes, 1 wave and there's a towsand b*stards on it like seagulls. That short spike yesterday? I was at a break alone - in 5 minutes 7 people and 3 on the beack lined up, 10 minutes and the next pack had drifted down and a few more out as well :roll:

If only I could have made something of the few waves I had available :oops:

Mrs Kreepy
Local

Post by Mrs Kreepy » Tue May 29, 2007 5:32 pm

^^^ act like a maniac. carry a small bag of dog sh#t out there and start throwing it at people if they start paddling towards your sacred peak.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Tue May 29, 2007 5:32 pm

Mrs Kreepy wrote: i surf in sydney i get the sh#t's after about half an hour because of all the knobwrench poser kooks out there that get in your way and follow you around when you paddle to different, less crowded peaks.
u think its different up here?

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Tue May 29, 2007 5:36 pm

Mrs Kreepy wrote:^^^ act like a maniac. carry a small bag of dog sh#t out there and start throwing it at people if they start paddling towards your sacred peak.
Unfortunately there's no 'sacred' peaks, only 'white house' 'twin houses' 'lightpost' 'first stairs' 'surf club' 'second post from left' and other imaginative names.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 29, 2007 6:09 pm

That drives me completely crazy. Fun though when you decide to go for a paddle into deep water just after a set. Baaah, baah, baah. See how many sheep follow before a quick paddle back for the next set :D :D :D

When you get peeved and want to cool it for a while away from the madness only to be joined and snaked in the middle of nowhere.

I'd rather surf crowded gold coast than crowded Sydney because if you get one it is better and goes longer :D

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Tue May 29, 2007 6:34 pm

if you surf on the weekend, a sydney beach is just as crowded as most worthwhile breaks on the nsw coast.
if you can surf during business hours then you can find a decent wave whether or not you are in sydney.
Last edited by bonusbeats on Wed May 30, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue May 29, 2007 6:50 pm

bonusbeats wrote:if you surf on the weekend, a sydney beach is just as crowded as bawley or blueys.
if you can surf during business hours then you can find a decent wave whether or not you are in sydney.
I'm with bonusbeats there. It's all about the hours. The early doesn't avoid crowds either. Weekday mornings after the work crew have left is your best bet, and probably true of both Sydney and Goldie, but goldie may have more unemployed and holidaying surfers to keep the crowds throughout the day. In that case Sydney weekdays are probably better.

Tills
Grommet

Post by Tills » Tue May 29, 2007 7:18 pm

So there's the solution then? Find yourself a nice job working arvo shifts?

GCLuke
regular

Post by GCLuke » Tue May 29, 2007 7:19 pm

i rekon the crowds here and overexaggerated, i mean, i can walk from my house to a beaachy and have good quality waves to myself and JUST my mates, although all the hyped spots like dbah and snapper and just ridiculous. i dont know about syndey though, pretty hard comparison since syndey is like 10 times bigger

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue May 29, 2007 8:05 pm

GCLuke wrote:i rekon the crowds here and overexaggerated, i mean, i can walk from my house to a beaachy and have good quality waves to myself and JUST my mates, although all the hyped spots like dbah and snapper and just ridiculous. i dont know about syndey though, pretty hard comparison since syndey is like 10 times bigger
Luke! DON'T TELL THEM THAT!! I have lived in Sydney for 14 years and I'm coming home soon. "i rekon the crowds here and overexaggerated". Don't tell 'em mate.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Tue May 29, 2007 8:21 pm

When I lived on the Goldy I was a shiftworker and used to often have weekdays off. There was a real noticeable gap between the dawn patrol workers/schoolies and the 'get out of the fartsack whenever' dole bludgers. A classic window between 8 and 9am. Unfortunately it was more crowded than Paris Hilton's pussy after 10am.

Never surfed Sydney to compare but, and glad of that fact

:wink:

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Tue May 29, 2007 8:22 pm

Dae wrote:Unfortunately there's no 'sacred' peaks,
you forgot the twin lightpose infront of the white surfclub on the left! how could u! thats a gem of a wave

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Tue May 29, 2007 8:30 pm

lambert wrote:
Dae wrote:Unfortunately there's no 'sacred' peaks,
you forgot the twin lightpose infront of the white surfclub on the left! how could u! thats a gem of a wave

STFU! geez, now everyone knows :x

You can see them now with their McT supercruisers....."there's one lightpose....and another lightpose! ahaha it's on the left like he said!! ahahaha now I'm gonna sit out the back and half-paddle for everything hahahaha"