Sharks and sealife!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

robzig
Local

Sharks and sealife!

Post by robzig » Wed May 23, 2007 8:58 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed May 23, 2007 9:50 am

I've seen posts on a spearfishing forum about lots of big schools of mullet congregating around the place. The bronzies are after the mullet supposedly, not people luckily :)

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Wed May 23, 2007 11:36 am

Interesting time to be in the water. Westerlies and shorter days kick off the spawning runs of several species of fish. Mullet, Aussie salmon, bream and luderick (blackfish) all form massive schools and leave the estuaries to head north and/or east. So o' course nature being nature they get shadowed by predators like noahs, dolphins, whales etc. About now stockton Beach should have quite a few juvenile great whites doing just this. Work colleague told me this morn there's a massive schools of sambos at southern bondi and dolphins have been hammering em occassionally. Watch those shadows in the water at the mo'.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed May 23, 2007 2:08 pm

Curly had a lot of action this morning.
Schools of baitfish zipping around getting slaughtered by some good sized salmon and of course the dolphins. Pod of about 20 dolphins spent at least 3 hours cruising the lineup while a myself and few crew enjoyed the show and the odd zippering rights racing down the bank

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:19 am

barstardos wrote:Curly had a lot of action this morning.
Schools of baitfish zipping around getting slaughtered by some good sized salmon and of course the dolphins. Pod of about 20 dolphins spent at least 3 hours cruising the lineup while a myself and few crew enjoyed the show and the odd zippering rights racing down the bank
That was very cool, I was there 9.00 till 10.30 and the dolphins swam right through where I was sitting about 6 times, what a great sight.
I think they left when they saw how crowded it got at about 10.00 all of a sudden .... did someone ring an alarm bell :?:

Mrs Kreepy
Local

Post by Mrs Kreepy » Thu May 24, 2007 11:51 am

theres definately been some great fishing lately. Jagging is illegal isn't it.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu May 24, 2007 12:24 pm

I was out at sea at around 10 this morning and saw 3 seperate pods of dolphins and they were large pods. Even saw a seal last eek. Also been catching a few blackfish off the rocks. Theres also plenty of baitfish around . About to have tuna for lunch

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu May 24, 2007 12:54 pm

Mind blowing at Bondi yesterday morning. Never seen so many dolphins up so close. Uge reckons there were 200; they were chasing salmon (the ones jumping out of the water around me were about a foot long!) Awesome sight, big stoke all day. Made up for the crap waves....

PDK
Grommet

Post by PDK » Thu May 24, 2007 2:37 pm

Mrs Kreepy wrote: Jagging is illegal isn't it.
Do you mean jagging or "gagging"?

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Thu May 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Heres a link to the track paths off 4 friendly great whites tracked by satellite around SA. http://www.cmar.csiro.au/tagging/whites ... bined.html There used to be a track map of them going around southen Autralia but i cant find it, they seemed to hang around SA and Vic in the summer and around southern NSWand southern WA in winter. Of course they can be any where but there seemed to be a pattern.

shish
regular

Post by shish » Thu May 24, 2007 3:43 pm

I was out surfing by myself on an isolated mid north coast beach last weekend. A couple of pods of dolphins swam past & then about 1/2 hour later a big black shape appeared right next to me. Must have been close to 3 metres. Scared the fark out of me. Fortunately a set wave appeared and i got the hell out of there.
yeehaa!

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu May 24, 2007 3:43 pm

Mrs Kreepy wrote:theres definately been some great fishing lately. Jagging is illegal isn't it.
yes

Mrs Kreepy
Local

Post by Mrs Kreepy » Thu May 24, 2007 4:08 pm

PDK wrote:
Mrs Kreepy wrote: Jagging is illegal isn't it.
Do you mean jagging or "gagging"?

sh#t :!: , i'm wiping the tears from eyes after that one :roll:

i meant jagging

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Thu May 24, 2007 4:57 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I've seen posts on a spearfishing forum about lots of big schools of mullet congregating around the place. The bronzies are after the mullet supposedly, not people luckily :)
I was out a few weeks ago and saw a MASSIVE school of fish, I thought they were Australian Salmon at the time...but if the fisho's are saying there's mullet everywhere then maybe they were mullet. it was a massive school though, the whole wave was fish! more fish then water! started paddling in pretty damn quick. but then noticed a few guys swimming, the scholl went right past them and they didn't get eaten by anything larger that may have been chasing them, so went back out.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Thu May 24, 2007 6:01 pm

Mrs Kreepy wrote:sh#t :!: , i'm wiping the tears from eyes after that one :roll:

Thought you'd find it amusing.....

Mrs Kreepy wrote:i meant jagging
Really? No need for obviousness LadyBoy.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Thu May 24, 2007 6:03 pm

Mrs Kreepy wrote:sh#t :!: , i'm wiping the tears from eyes after that one :roll:

Thought you'd find it amusing.....

Mrs Kreepy wrote:i meant jagging
Really? No need for obviousness LadyBoy.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Thu May 24, 2007 6:08 pm

SORRY MRS CREEPY!!!

My boyfriend has the sh*ts with me for making him come to yoga with me, so he decided to sabotage my name on here! ':evil:'

That WASNT from me!!!!

I tried to take it back, but ended up sending it again... ':('

lambert
barnacle

Re: Sharks and sealife!

Post by lambert » Thu May 24, 2007 9:37 pm

robzig wrote: Just want to know if anyone else has seen some big sealife of late?
i got some info for ya, last year 4 shark attacks worldwide, already been 12 this year, 8 of whihc have occured between surfers paradise and pottsvile,

a man dissapeared at kingy only to be found the next day in half-a-leg form by a grom @ fingal

i was surfin some of the best dbah with 2 mates, on the whole strip!, turns out they had spotted a 3.5 meter tiger as it came out of the tweed and came in alongside the wall, and proceeded top cruise the lineup for a further 15 minutes and we didnt see it once but it mustve been full ! 10000 pounds of fury boxed up in a cage! hahaha

2 more sharks sighted @ the same spot the next morning,

bout month ago, 1x4 meter tiger and 3x2.5-3 meter white pointers found mungin on a whale carcass of straddie