Shark?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Felix
Local

Shark?

Post by Felix » Wed May 09, 2007 6:42 pm

The following was posted on http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news

Search continues for missing swimmer - Kingscliff

9 May 2007

A search is continuing for a swimmer who went missing off Kingscliff Beach on the state’s north coast.

About 12:15pm yesterday a 45-year-old man was swimming about 20 metres off shore when he disappeared.

A family member of the swimmer contacted police who commenced an immediate land, air and sea search of the area.

The search resumed this morning at first light.

About 8am body parts were located 350m south of Cabarita headland.

They have been retrieved and taken to Tweed hospital for forensic examination to establish whether they are human remains.

The search for the swimmer continues.

The swimmer is described as slim build, tanned/olive complexion, with short dark hair and wearing white shorts with red and black stripes.

Anyone who has seen the man or has information that could assist the search is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

fong

Post by fong » Wed May 09, 2007 7:37 pm

with a thread heading like shark.....i was hoping for some recipes :roll:

in the interest of kingcliffs chamber of commerce...please don't say shark....tourists or customers don't like the word....thus this poor guys death will very quickly disappear from media reports ( which industry supports local mags. :arrow: ..TOURISM :idea: )

P.S I BET THE CORNER CAN'T GIVE A CAUSE OF DEATH..... :roll:

like hello...theres no body cause the shark ate him :!: :x :roll:

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Wed May 09, 2007 7:52 pm

I'm not paranoid about sharks, seen plenty of them, eaten plenty as well.

I don't give a stuff about tourism, magazines or what the corner (sic) has to say. The topic did say SHARK? (note question mark) and it was a copy/paste from a NSW police media release. I find it odd that no media seems to have mentioned it.

If I was up in that part of the world I would like to know if there is a big bitey taking big bites at the moment, just so that I could be a bit more aware when I'm in the water.

Nothing more, nothing less.

GCLuke
regular

Post by GCLuke » Wed May 09, 2007 7:56 pm

:shock: was surfing there on sunday and monday, didnt even see a fish, but the place has been known for some BIIIIGGGG tigers

Borris
regular

Post by Borris » Thu May 10, 2007 11:57 am

A guy jumped off the ferry to rottnest, (island 18km out from Perth) about four or so days ago.
They found his body yesterday near the fremantle port, along with a 6m white.

Raker
regular

Post by Raker » Thu May 10, 2007 12:04 pm

used to be freaked of sharks.
not too bothered now though, been out knowing there were a heaps in the around (around forster)

now that i say it.. i'll probably be eaten by sharks :)
touchwood

Mrs Kreepy
Local

Post by Mrs Kreepy » Thu May 10, 2007 12:15 pm

Borris wrote:A guy jumped off the ferry to rottnest, (island 18km out from Perth) about four or so days ago.

what do you mean "along" with, had the shark eaten him or just fangin' around him? what a d*ck anyway, who jumps off ferry's.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu May 10, 2007 1:57 pm

Borris wrote:A guy jumped off the ferry to rottnest, (island 18km out from Perth) about four or so days ago.
How far out?

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu May 10, 2007 2:38 pm

I dont get it . The guy jumped off the ferry at Rottnest Island and they found his body at Fremantle along with a 6 metre white pointer.
Was the shark with the body or did they pull the body out of the shark or was the shark acting suspiciously leading all to believe it was the culprit or did the shark eat the guy at Rottnest and swim back to Fremantle and spew him back up :?:

Borris
regular

Post by Borris » Thu May 10, 2007 5:01 pm

The ferry was half way to rotto when the guy jumped off from the top landing.
Witness's say that he intentionally jumped and the police think it was intentional suicide (what a slow way to go though, jumping off a ferry into rough seas then waiting to drown).
The body was found near the entrance of fremantle port, so it had drifted a few km to the south.
The water patrol, that went to collect the body said that there was a 6m (the biggest they have seen so far) shark, in close proximity to the body.
They didn't say anything about the state of the body (ie, only half left), presumably they don't want to stress the family any more.

Borris
regular

Post by Borris » Thu May 10, 2007 5:18 pm

I just found the full story and I don't think they will release what really happened as it is quite gruesome.
Apparently the man was found with lots of scuba diving weights strapped to his body, hence the long time before discovery.
And there was shark interaction.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Thu May 10, 2007 7:14 pm

Edit ok i see the photo shop now.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu May 10, 2007 7:27 pm

It is not fake photo. It is not photoshopped. It is actually real !!!

>>> http://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/sharkattack.asp

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu May 10, 2007 7:28 pm

Borris wrote:I just found the full story and I don't think they will release what really happened as it is quite gruesome.
Apparently the man was found with lots of scuba diving weights strapped to his body, hence the long time before discovery.
And there was shark interaction.
Was a friendly shark just trying to do the neighbourly thing and send him back to port.

fong

Post by fong » Thu May 10, 2007 7:33 pm

kreepykrawly wrote:It is not fake photo. It is not photoshopped. It is actually real !!!

>>> http://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/sharkattack.asp
ok if thats true all i can say it;s pretty sad hey :shock:

and without trying b smart or nothin.....when u look @ wat we do too fish ( i'm as guility as sin here :oops: ) pay backs a bitch ehhh :? :? :? :?

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu May 10, 2007 7:48 pm

Dunes(where that guy was attacked is one of my favorite waves whenever im in South Africa. Its like D bah but ten times longer(the beach), ten times more consistent and bigger on more occasions. Across the bay is Dungeons. Notorious big wave location. To the left of Dunes looking out to sea you have Sunset beach.a hawaiian style big wave location.south you have Noordhoek. a intense fast peak. Barrels barrels barrels .
Its sad now because hardly anyone surfs out there any more and it breaks my heart looking at sickness and not been able to confidently surf it without feeling like you could end up being eaten.

I know they are part of the Eco-system but cant they be part of it where there are no f-cking waves!!!.

shit creatures.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu May 10, 2007 8:20 pm

kreepykrawly wrote:shit creatures.
Much cuter than whales though.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Thu May 10, 2007 8:49 pm

I still call it fake. Lets look at one of the facts the story presents "The victim lost most or all his blood volume before reaching shore, a phenomenom which accounts for the lack of "gore in the photos"

Wheres all the blood staining on the wetsuit?

1st photo looks photoshopy around the hand. The "Bite mark" dosent look consistent with a shark bite either they tend to take the chunk rather than leave a flap and is our skin really that thick? (second photo)