Which is the greater evil?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Which is worse?

Dope
40%
Alcohol
60%

Total votes: 20

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:14 pm

2nd Reef wrote:I think the crucial point is motive. Why are you taking the flippers, coke, mushies or beer?

Is it to loosen up and have a laugh with friends?

A temporary escape from your reality?

Do they provide a crutch when you cant cope?

Or, you just dont know any other way to be?

Gotta be truthful to yourself, and make the right decision. The outcome then is usually moderation.
Good points.

If you're an addict or youve been an addict there's no moderation, I reckon you are an addict for life (even if you don't take it anymore, youre still an addict, just a reformed one)

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:54 am

crack wrote:pot is worse for the mind. alcohol is worse for the body
That is probably a good way to put it but chronic abuse of both will lead to both mental and physical problems. My own personal observation is that reformed pot smokers seem to be better off than reformed alcoholics. This leads to another aspect not yet discussed - anti-social behaviour.

In the case of pot it generally means veging out and not saying much (anti-social perhaps but not really anti-social behaviour) or laughing a lot more than usual (if it's good), but in the case of alcohol, it tends to fuel violent behaviour, fast driving and over confident risk taking mixed with poor judgement. Alcohol is a significant factor in many assaults by young men on other young men, and in sexual assault on women, as well as domestic violence.

I'm also pretty sure you wouldn't find fights breaking out outside the "hash house" at closing time :lol: :lol: In my own experience I've seen some particualrly violent types that I knew mellow out a bit more on pot. It doesn't seem to stop the ultraviolent types but plenty of guys that I knew that would get pissed and look for trouble tended not to and I'd say this effect is even more pronounced on the average temperament.

When I was straight I found stoned people stumbling around much funnier to watch in general than pissed people. I mean if you were so out of it and drank the bongwater you are funny for life but if you fell over pissed it was funny for only a week.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:31 pm

Only time I occasionally wish I had a refer is on a quiet day at the beach or in the country when your kicking back lazing in the sun. Definitely not on the agenda with kids around :roll:
Then again lazing around tends to be off the agenda with kids around anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plus being even more absent minded and vague than usual is not a good look on the job front.

I shudder to think what my lungs must look like after a lifetime of chillums and bongs including ones mixed with Camel, Drum and Rhino tobacco in India and Nepal :x :x :x :x

still here
charger

Post by still here » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:50 pm

My liver is evil .... it must be punished ! :evil:

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:29 pm

alcohol is:
-physically addictive. withdrawls can be fatal - that's how tracey pew from the birthday party died.

-toxic (drink too much in a session and you overdose and die. about 50 college kids die from alcohol overdoses each year in the states. it also destroys your organs - liver disease. in the u.s. in 2000, Alcohol consumption caused 85,000 deaths.

-neurotoxic/ it causes serious, permanent brain damage. http://www.answers.com/topic/alcohol-re ... al-disease

but the best advertisment for alcohol are the addicts sitting on streets in the their own shit and piss drinking metho or royal reserve port, homeless and unwanted by even those that once loved them.

despite alcohol being such a shit drug, i'm all for people drinking it if they want. hell, my partner has a right royal good time on the stuff. but they should know what they are doing. unfortunately, a lot of people posting here seem completely clueless about both weed and booze.

this is pretty lazy given the amount of credible information avaialbe online.

don't believe anything the herald or the tabloids say about drugs. they are commercial entities seeking a profit through selling advertising in their papers. they have no interest in truth.

cs
regular

Post by cs » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:59 pm

I think the anti-social problems accociated with alcohol tips the scales of evil its way.
I had to get off pot too, because of the paranoia and loss of motivation.
HStill ave the odd joint, usually on the 5th at the royal Av, whenever the boys get together for a bash...

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:51 pm

I was going to post a comment to this thread but then got all paranoid and now I can't remember what I was going to say and can't be stuffed trying to remember .... I'm off to lie under the stairs in a foetal position if anyone needs me.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:58 pm

That last post reminds me of the old Vortex arguements he used to get into and WIN. Where is he anyway???

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:37 pm

such devasting and original wit there ronald, calling someone a gay lid rider. i'm sure i'm not the only one who is reminded of a later day dr johnson.

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:56 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
bonusbeats wrote:
but the best advertisment for alcohol are the addicts sitting on streets in the their own shit and piss drinking metho or royal reserve port, homeless and unwanted by even those that once loved them.

No chance that they may have been down on their luck in the first place and turned to alcohol as solace? Part of the downward spiral as opposed to the cause?
No? I didn't think so...
ron, i just want to apologise for the nasty comments above. even i can recognise a cry for help when i see one.