How do you define a kook?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

how do you define a kook?

utterly clueless ( couldn't duckdive a 1' shorey )
56%
anyone from Manly
44%

Total votes: 16

lovinglife
regular

Post by lovinglife » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:37 pm

well it was time to bring out the big guns and nothing says 'i love you' more than a red hot Toney Award :lol:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:58 pm

"eggrolls" all too true eh. :shock: 8)

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:19 pm

bookster wrote:
FishStick wrote:People who surf occasionally.
Either you surf or you don't. I can't stand half-arsed Sunday only people. These are the people who make up the majority of the crowd on a weekend and who are kooks.

They surf the same as they did last year and the year before. Hardly a turn usually going straight for the beach.

Unfortunately I have friends and family that fall into this category, and they wonder why I always drop in on them?

:lol:

"I'm sooo hardcore coz I surf more than someone else"
That attitude makes you as much a kook as anyone else in the water :roll:
Don't put words in my mouth. :evil:

If these Sunday surfers loved surfing, like I do, then they would surf more and get better at it. If they don't love surfing then why do they have to ruin it for those of us who do by sitting in the already crowded line up and getting in the way of the ones who are passionate about the sport?

They most likely couldn't care if they were doing something else, so why don't they do something else if it's not that important to them anyway?

If they aren't going to put in the time and effort then why bother? Being just a standard surfer who can catch a wave and ride it out to completion takes a lot of practice. I think a lot of beginners think surfing looks easy but don't realise how much time is needed to get good. Then they wonder why they are still at the same level 2 years down the line.

I've seen a fair share of people in their late 20's who want to learn to surf. They just frustrate themselves and those around them because they never get better because they don't go often enough. Why bother?

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:21 am

lovinglife wrote: Kookie

I wouldn't mind getting paid what Tom Boonen gets paid, or Robbie McEwen (Aus) for that matter, who is just to the left of Boonen. McEwen surfs too but I think he knows where his bread is buttered.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:38 am

FishStick wrote:
bookster wrote:
FishStick wrote:People who surf occasionally.
Either you surf or you don't. I can't stand half-arsed Sunday only people. These are the people who make up the majority of the crowd on a weekend and who are kooks.

They surf the same as they did last year and the year before. Hardly a turn usually going straight for the beach.

Unfortunately I have friends and family that fall into this category, and they wonder why I always drop in on them?

:lol:

"I'm sooo hardcore coz I surf more than someone else"
That attitude makes you as much a kook as anyone else in the water :roll:
Don't put words in my mouth. :evil:

If these Sunday surfers loved surfing, like I do, then they would surf more and get better at it. If they don't love surfing then why do they have to ruin it for those of us who do by sitting in the already crowded line up and getting in the way of the ones who are passionate about the sport?

They most likely couldn't care if they were doing something else, so why don't they do something else if it's not that important to them anyway?

If they aren't going to put in the time and effort then why bother? Being just a standard surfer who can catch a wave and ride it out to completion takes a lot of practice. I think a lot of beginners think surfing looks easy but don't realise how much time is needed to get good. Then they wonder why they are still at the same level 2 years down the line.

I've seen a fair share of people in their late 20's who want to learn to surf. They just frustrate themselves and those around them because they never get better because they don't go often enough. Why bother?

There are stages in peoples lives due to work and family where they just can't get down as often as they did when they were young so a weekend session becomes a sanctuary for them to escape the grind. I went through that when my kids were young, thankfully I have more time now. 8)

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:16 pm

Slowman wrote:
lovinglife wrote: Kookie

I wouldn't mind getting paid what Tom Boonen gets paid, or Robbie McEwen (Aus) for that matter, who is just to the left of Boonen. McEwen surfs too but I think he knows where his bread is buttered.
is this a caption contest?

if so, i'll bet he's saying:

i'm out, i'm gay! finally i've summoned the courage to tell my parents i'm freakin' gay!! :roll:

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:56 pm

Fuck who here hasnt been dropped in or had someone of lesser ability than them and called them a kook.

A kook is someone who is shit. Moved across from surfing now e.g. fongs boat borrowing adventure he would be called a kook.

for that matter your all kooks :roll:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:17 pm

if i was paddling out a spot and i saw a dude that was a splitting image of me, i would probably think he was a kook