BOM issues tsunami warming for east coast OZ!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

evow

BOM issues tsunami warming for east coast OZ!

Post by evow » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:37 am

Doing my regular morning check of weather sites and chatting at work, just saw that BOM has issued a tsunami for the east coast of australia as far down as Lrd Howe Island.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDN23900.txt

This is due to an earthquake (8.1) off the solomon islands but here is the general summary

At the time of this warning it is not known if a Tsunami was generated. This
warning is based only on an evaluation of the earthquake's potential to generate
a Tsunami.

A series of waves associated with this tsunami may impact Australia later this morning, reaching Norfolk Island from around 12:08 pm [Norfolk Island time], Lord Howe Island from around 11:16 am [Lord Howe Island time] and the NSW coastline between 11:00 am and midday.

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:46 am

Interesting to see what eventuates.It's quite funny how panic alerts are in place since the Indo Tsunami.I mean a few years ago you never heard anything about them & now it seems after every tremor people are waiting for one.

Not sure if I have worded this properly , but sometimes it seems very alarmist

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:27 am

i just fueled up the jetski

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:28 am

austeve wrote:I mean a few years ago you never heard anything about them & now it seems after every tremor people are waiting for one.
When was the last Tsunami warning issued for Australia? I'm only aware of one possible warning since the Boxing Day Tsunami (can't remeber exact details). There are tremors/quakes almost every other day in the South Pacific and Indo.

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:37 am

thermalben wrote:
austeve wrote:I mean a few years ago you never heard anything about them & now it seems after every tremor people are waiting for one.
When was the last Tsunami warning issued for Australia? I'm only aware of one possible warning since the Boxing Day Tsunami (can't remeber exact details). There are tremors/quakes almost every other day in the South Pacific and Indo.
I didn't mean necessarily just warnings for Australia but worldwide in general.

mpaineau

Post by mpaineau » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:46 am

Although the tsunami is likely to be small by the time it reaches Sydney (at around 11am) these warning should be taken seriously as there is much uncertainty. For more on the tsunami threat to Sydney see:
http://tinyurl.com/2hnlx5

Mike

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:50 am

Nothing doing..10 - 20 cms for Nth Qld.
Just as a matter of interest does anyone have an idea on how big before it would cause damage around Sydney region ie how high would water levels need to rise to start taking houses etc out ?

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:56 am

This will be very interesting event. Its a straight line of deep water from the solomons down to here. We will find out soon enough is the energy is directed towards us or elsewhere. Fraser island and the Gold Coast will be the first to show if anything sisgnificant is happening as there is no Barrier reef to slow the thing down.
Probabaly wil be a fizzer - but then again!

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:04 am

Bom has updated warning at 9.56am - warning still current!!
From my current location 2m ASL - I have just realised I need to visit somebody in Beacon Hill

mpaineau

Post by mpaineau » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:12 am

The deep water waves heights of the Boxing Day tsunami were typically 10 to 20cm. The danger is their wavelength, which can be 10s of kilometres. This causes the waves to bank up when they reach shallow water. Reports of wave height need to refer to location (deep water or beach?).

For the same reason (huge wavelength) coral reefs do not stop tsunami. There is plenty of evidence of large tsunami reaching Cooktown.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:12 am

Pretty Heavy, a guy was calling one 10ft in the Solomon Isalnds...any idea how far or how intense a tsunami of that size would eventuate if it arrived in Sydney?

All my family and most relatives are holidaying and staying with each other in qld...on the beach front :|

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:31 am

Coogee Beach closed apparently. :roll:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:32 am

How about everyone report in around lunchtime as to effects.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:34 am

Damage wrote:Coogee Beach closed apparently. :roll:
what did they do with all the poms? they musta opened the pub early...

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:36 am

WANDERER wrote:
Damage wrote:Coogee Beach closed apparently. :roll:
what did they do with all the poms? they musta opened the pub early...
Threw soap at them & they ran to the hills

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:37 am

All QLD & NSW beaches shut as a precaution.Manly Ferries suspended as well

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 am

News on TV just said a 15cm wave washed up in Honiara and PNG got a 60cm wave, but a BOM guy on Willis Is off Qld Coast said he has seen nothing there and it would have come through there at about 9am.

Can't be too careful though, we should be thankful ...

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:50 am

Listening to 702 and keeping an eye on the online SMH one can't help but feel that we are currently in the midst of a nice piece of classical hysteria and uninformed semi-panic. :o

Better to be safe than sorry sure, but it sort of exposes that there is no co-ordinated central body that knows exactly what is going on and is able to pass on the appropriate info to those that need to know.

More like key-stone cops. Heaven help us when something massive actually does happen.

Gonna be a schemozzle methinks. :shock: