Secret Girls Stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:27 pm

I used to see one pro surfing chick in particular dropping in on anyone and everyone on the Gold Coast, including myself on a few occassions... Watching The Hothouse on TV last night I got to see video footage of her snaking ways! But dammit, she rips, so whaddya gonna do...

CLS

Post by CLS » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:59 pm

I grew up around the cooly area, and learnt to surf on the fabled southern gc points. I have had run ins with a certain female pro out at snapper/greeny/kirra on many occasions. Clif I agree she was definately a mean one. Used to have many pet names for her. What can you do though when she is usually taking off deeper than you? One wave on the old big groin bank (pre-superbank) made everything worth it though. Back to the topic though - there used to be heaps of girls in the water up there, something you definately don't see so much of down at the "bra".

CLS

Post by CLS » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:46 am

I was recently living on the mid north coast (so many good waves, so few crew - I will never tell) and there were a few local girls surfers, I remember watching one girl taking off on a double head wave, get to the bottom, lip catches her and she ends up with two smaller boards. Orsom to see her charging. Go Kate if you are reading this.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:16 am

have to agree with cls. not enough girls getting stuck into maroubra. the guys there are overflowing with testosterone ... but ... maybe you girls could come in and change the vibe a bit. would be nice to see. maybe the bra boys would 'chill' some more. the south end seems more friendly so chicks could maybe start surfing there some more. go grrrrrls. respect.

tg

Post by tg » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:07 pm

Have been surfing regularly at maroubra for about 8 years and as my earlier post says, no hassles form the boys. Definitely more women out there now than when I first started surfing there. Haven't really witnessed much real aggro in the water there (maybe 2- 3 incidents in that time) and always between men. If we can all stay chilled where ever we are, I think that's the way to go. Patience is the key as we are all surfing in more and more crowded conditions. To the other girls who surf at the 'bra ... hope to meet you soon.

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:35 pm

I'm a fat chick & I ride a longboard. How do you reckon I'm viewed in the line up?

soulman

Post by soulman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:55 pm

Having lived, surfed, and raised a family at Maroubra I reckon I've seen enough to comment that girls in the lineup do generally mellow the testosterone thing. Years ago there was a Pro women's surfing contest at Northend. All the boys put on their best behaviour. As soon as the event left, the atmosphere changed back to normal.

In today's Maroubra surf report, Roy encourages the girls to compete in the Boardriders. A few years back my daughter was surfing in the Microgroms, my sons in the juniors, and me taking up space in the opens. It was fun, until the behaviour of some of the guys made my wife and I come to the decision that "Enough is enough". My wife, daughter and sons see enough rubbish in life. I hope the MSA has improved so that the girls can surf, judge, help out, and enjoy being part of things without feeling uncomfortable or compromised. I know that some of the guys having been trying hard to get MSA firing. Perhaps having some females on the Committee will help to move MSA forward.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:28 pm

see, the girls are way cool. if they can chill maroubra maybe they are the future for surfing in a different sort of way? hmmm. a matriarchy in the surf ...

soulman

Post by soulman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:26 pm

G'day dudes... Well im a chic that used to live at maroubra and i am the 'soulmans' daughter. When i went in a competition for MSA, my friend and i were the only girls in our heat and the rest were all guys so i wreckon that there should be more chic surfers for more fair, friendly competitions and to also make more friends and to have heats to ourselves without the guys. In every competition that the 'city beaches' have, there are way more than double the amount of guys then there are chics.
Another contest i have been in was held by 'Christian surfers' and there was 5 females but our ages were all over the place since we only had enough females for just the one heat. the youngest was about 12yrs old and the oldest was in her 20's and as you can see the chics in their 20's were more experienced than the 12yr old girls.
In the many contests i have been in there have hardly been any girls at all and we were surrounded by men and guys.
I hope for the future that we see in contests as many guys as there are girls.
cya later dudes... 8) :wink: :D

soulman

Post by soulman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:10 pm

"I hope for the future that we see in contests as many guys as there are girls."

I think she meant it the other way 'round! Or maybe she knows something about the future of surfing that we guys don't... Perhaps it will be the end of the Bra Boys as we know it, being overtaken by the girls, and renamed the ... :shock:

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:05 am

Morty wrote:I'm a fat chick & I ride a longboard. How do you reckon I'm viewed in the line up?
look again I don't want to be cynical but to be brutally honest...

I'd say somewhere between invisible to inconvenient.

But you know who you are and that is more important than what other people think.

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:16 pm

Hey, there are girls out here reading this and still surfing through winter too. There's a crew of boys and girls who go out at Dee Why every Saturday morning at 7, all year, rain or shine, waves or no waves. There's quite a strong mid-week crew as well. I've been in the line-up at Dee Why when there have been more girls than boys (ok, it was once but still. . . ).

We still need a lot of help with surf gear though. Those bikinis may look great when we're duck-diving but try getting the things back on after they get ripped off in the waves. I can see how the guys might like that too but I would love any recommendations on good bottoms that stay on :?:

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:23 pm

Hey Fletch, I goddam laughed right out loud when I read your last comment. Too bad those aggro fat old male longboarders couldn't become a little more invisible, especially the ones in budgie smugglers.

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:39 pm

I'll probably get lynched for suggesting anything other than bikinis but have you tried a short john:

http://www.ripcurl.com/content/anmviewer.asp?a=669&z=87

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:56 pm

Here's an interesting area in the girls surf arena....the WETSUIT!
I've worn wetsuits for various water activities for the last 20 years, and I dont think any wetsuit manufacturer has nailed the femal wetsuit design......so I designed one myself. Tell me if you agree girls.....A short leg suit rubs on the rail and suit leg. They presume that as a girl goes from size 10 to 14 her boobs get enormous....not so. They are always too big in the boob area. The body lenght seems never to be right, too long or too short in the body. Choob suits (no arms, short legs) give terrible under-arm rash/chafe. If you're interested in what my design is like, email me.