Where are they now ??????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where are they now ??????

Post by Kunji » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:10 pm

You dont hear much of Mark Foo these days.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:13 pm

^^ :shock:
signatures, finally got it covered.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:19 pm

^^ its been a while

Duke Paoa Kahanamoku

omar

Post by omar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Dae & Trev G

That photo was in Surfing World September 65 issue and the surfer was Terry Wall and the photo was captioned ' Caught inside the tremendous shorbreak where he nearly drowned, champion Victorian surfer Terry Wall lies across his board and prepares to meet the onlaught' and to quote Surfing World ' Terry after completing three high scoring waves and up to that stage possibly equal favourite with Conneelley was caught inside the shorebreak. Powerless to do anything, he abandoned his board and dived to the bottom. But as the shallow water in close was so turbulent and the rip very strong, he was swept alongside the rocks at Winky Pop point. After being hit by four waves he was finally flung by the fifth wave onto the shelf of Winky Pop where he was able to scramble to safety'

If I knew how to post a photo in this forum I would scan the photo and post it here, as it is an awesome surf photo. The other photos from the contest are pretty good as well-It would certainly rival Bells in 81 for size

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks for that omar, great reading. I've been trying to track it down on the net but haven't come up with anything except the cover of that issue, with ' The Greatest Contest Ever' in the summary. Teases.

offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:53 pm

I remember that Rob Wolfe guy too - he was in the QLD "Line Up" mag every month.
So too John Shortis
Robbie Keane was in SW heaps
... maybe they're all in Ulladulla with Roy and HG

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:45 am

used to see John Shortis at Sunshine Beach when I would go up there sometimes, he was a very busy surfer, always moving and waving his rms, ripped but it was probably what the comp judges wanted about that time....Yeah, and good ol 'Line up' magazine, so thin and cheap but had some good local shots in it and you always knew someone in it and it wasnt all about comps and ads.....

Robert Wolffe really ripped so be cool to know where he is, probably hanging around Caloundra still, someone would know, I might ask a few Sunny Coast crew about that age... 8)

Where is Chappy Jennings, NC you might know ??? My ten yr old son reckons he had too many cream puffs and died ( ala Kongs Island )...

Craig Pitchers, Matt Branson ??? I used to surf with Jye Gofton a bit up the Sunny Coast but dunno where he went or wat he is up to these days, anyone know ??? he used to rip there for a while, could've went further than he did I reckon, think he surfd against Slater once and pushed him too.... 8) 8) :?: :)

omar, send the pic via e-mail to someone who can post it, TrevG is good at it and very helpful bloke :roll: 8) , did it for me once coz I have trouble with it too, wish I could do it, got lots of stuff I wish I could post, going to get someone to show me soon...have done it once with my photobucket but have tried unsuccessfully twice since...Be good to see that pic you guys are talking about... 8)

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:12 am

omar wrote:Dae & Trev G

That photo was in Surfing World September 65 issue and the surfer was Terry Wall and the photo was captioned ' Caught inside the tremendous shorbreak where he nearly drowned, champion Victorian surfer Terry Wall lies across his board and prepares to meet the onlaught' and to quote Surfing World ' Terry after completing three high scoring waves and up to that stage possibly equal favourite with Conneelley was caught inside the shorebreak. Powerless to do anything, he abandoned his board and dived to the bottom. But as the shallow water in close was so turbulent and the rip very strong, he was swept alongside the rocks at Winky Pop point. After being hit by four waves he was finally flung by the fifth wave onto the shelf of Winky Pop where he was able to scramble to safety'

If I knew how to post a photo in this forum I would scan the photo and post it here, as it is an awesome surf photo. The other photos from the contest are pretty good as well-It would certainly rival Bells in 81 for size
I was after a distraction last week so did google pic search. Turns out the pic wasn't from Witzig but from another great photog of that era, Barrie Sutherland (I found a thumbnail of it and was going to post it but figured there could be copyright issues). I know it and the story behind it has cropped up in the the two longboard mags a few times over the years. I started giving my old copies away awhile ago so probably don't have it anymore.

Thanks for the background Omar
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:47 pm

This is getting interesting O.K.heres a few moore old chargers
Greyham(ces)Wilson,Paul Green,Scott Lindley,Little Ando from narabeen I think his first name was Dennis,Michael Tremlow,Mark Eymes,Mark Heymes,Tod Lee,Tod Ingham,Paul Burnett,Simon Law and Ive always wondered what happened to Ken Oliver too.Ive left alot of guys out cause I either know whare they are or I just cant quite grasp there names.

omar

Post by omar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Nothwithstanding the copyright issue regarding 65 Bells, I reckon these photos are too good not to share
Attachments
Bells 65 002-1.jpg
(123.17 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:31 am

What ever happened to Larry Blair?
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:40 am

^^ still around running some sort surf/fishing guided tours, on the cenny coast. but not heard anything about 2yrs now

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 pm

That's the picture! Thanks for that. Where is that supposed to be breaking? Surely not the shorebreak??
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Yeah thanks Omar, great pic even at that resolution. Also a nice reminder of who really holds the power between man and ocean :lol:
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:28 pm

I cant help thinking about a guy from Bondi called George Wales,good surfer (goofy footer).The last time I saw him he'd just been nocked out of the Lightning Bolt Eliminations by Pam Buridge.He stormed up the beach threw his boards in the car jumped in with his wetty still on and screeched his way out of narrabeen car park.Pam went on to be world champ a few years later but I never herd of George again. :?:

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:00 pm

George - Lives on the Goldie and surfs the Alley regularly - if I'm not mistaken.

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:00 pm

Greg Anderson runs cleaning business on Northern Beaches,
Still one of my favorite surfers of all time.....has the uncanny ability to ALWAYS get the wave of the day, even if he is only out for aquick one.....check out the Rusty video
"No Thrills For The Cautious"...ripping.

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:47 pm

Good feedback,it leaves me wondering who was Dennis?O.K.heres one for the shire boys/girls -Ross Marshall great natural footer was doing great in all the comps in late 70s early/mid 80s then just vanished ? :|