What would you ask 'em? A request

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hardcorp

Post by Hardcorp » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Coops@DY wrote:And Hardcorp prices raised off the back of the FTSE.
FTSE /'futsi'/ n. to touch in secret a person's feet, knee, etc., with one's feet, especially as part of amorous play(?)

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:19 pm

before i went to indo for first time my supervisor at uni warned me if i so much as looked a bugis girl in the eye (i was going to south sulawesi) i would surely arouse the murderous ire of her piratical brothers who would make sure i floated home in many pieces. now i'm starting to worry that these surf industry potentates might have big mean ugly brothers who won't take kindly to nick hitting on their little sisters for handjobs and footsies!

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:24 pm

i also have an idea they're clammy-palmed, and who wants a handjob off a clammy-palmed sissy nitwit not me!

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:27 pm

gee it feels good to be insulting these people i've never met, better not overdo it though so i'll give it a rest now.

Hardcorp

Post by Hardcorp » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:19 pm

Lucky Al wrote:i also have an idea they're clammy-palmed, and who wants a handjob off a clammy-palmed sissy nitwit not me!
An insult… riiiight. Obviously missed it, chuckling at that following part where you'd knock back a handjob from a clammy-palmed sissy nitwit. Good one Lucky.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Hardcorp wrote:
FTSE /'futsi'/ n. to touch in secret a person's feet, knee, etc., with one's feet, especially as part of amorous play(?)
You better not be a bloke!

:lol:

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:40 am

Lucky Al wrote:telling people at parties they're garment merchants is probably a bit of a drag. even 'ceo' is boring. why don't they give themselves grander-sounding titles like 'conquering lion of the surfing tribes and ruler of the seas' or 'fearsome commander of a thousand perfect left barrels'?
I thought it was spelt Gordon Merchant?
Are you saying he's into drag?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 pm

i think this thread has got a bit out of hand. we can't really expect nick to hit the surf industry potentates up for handjobs – that sort of thing will get you kicked out of a press conference quick smart, and after all we'll still want to hear back from nick what the journos asked and potentates answered. at the same time we can't just drop this matter of potential handjobs from surf industry potentates, clearly of great concern to all real surfers of good heart and clear mind. what i propose then is that nick have a good handshake with each and every one of the potentates before and after the conference, taking mental notes on the hand size and shape, grip strength, skin texture and temperature, shake duration and dynamics, style of eye contact, and so on of each of them, and then get back to us with his notes so we can all discuss them at length in depth in order to reach some sort of consensus as to which of the surf industry potentates would be likely to give the best handjob. there, a much more diplomatic approach that will save nick and everyone else involved a lot of awkwardness and embarrassment. what do others think?

Hardcorp

Post by Hardcorp » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:42 pm

Coops@DY wrote:
Hardcorp wrote:
You better not be a bloke!

Afraid so, champ. From my Tempe Spares trucker and BBQ apron with plastic tits to my Warilla (Gorillas) football socks and thongs. Pull my finger. PULL MY FINGER!

:lol:

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Im a fan of the corporate responsibility/hypocrisy questions...

Question * Would you (global surf companies) be willing to release the average pay rate and age of your manufacturing workers in Asia, and would you be willing to compare the cost of production to the Sale price of standard items such as board shorts?

*Do you find it hypocritical conveying the image of exotic surf travel when you exploit cheap labour in many of the Nations that are represented in your marketing campaigns?

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:55 pm

Can I just say its pretty refreshing to know that there are quiet a lot of surfers on here who have an environmental and social conscience...!

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:34 pm

Sure Nick,

how about ask them why none of their products are for sale online anywhere in Australia, but are in practically every other country.

Ask them what they are scared of, and what's with the double standard.

And maybe while you're there, ask Bainy how well O'Neill's strategy of shutting down online sales of their product in Aus has worked, given that you can now buy a top of the line O'neill wetsuit in the US and land it here cheaper than it sells in bricks and mortar shops in Aus. :twisted:

Following that line, then ask the big three how they are protecting territories in Aus, and if they think the writing is on the wall for state reps.

Then for a closer, maybe slip in something about price maintenance, and section 44 of the Trade Practices Act. :twisted: :twisted:

phil osofer
regular

Post by phil osofer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:10 am

I would like to know whether the big 3
RIP OFF THE CURL
QUIKBUCK
DOLLARBILLABONG
are willing to give something back to surfing by going thirds in financing a website dedicated to the design and construction of surfing reefs.

And if the answer is yes would they initiate a discussion about this on the realsurf forums.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Quite honestly there is nothing wrong with having a go. If someone wants to take a big punt, put up their house as collateral and basically risk everything to try and have a successful business then I basically don’t have a problem with it.
It’s not jealousy.
What pisses me off is the short sightedness and greediness of outsourcing the production of our ideas to China, Thailand ect to the detriment of our economy and our future.

NC cant you ask your mates to see if they can please live off a mere $30 million a year instead of $50 mil. It might be rough for a few years but with the right budgeting strategies I think they might be able to survive. Just tell them its an investment in our future.

One more question
Shouldn’t they be paying us to advertise their product?
I don’t need wear a T shirt with Billabong sprawled across the front and back to be associated with surfing culture.
It will soon transform its association to Back- packerism.

Keep it up fellas
NC cracks under pressure :lol:

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:21 pm

Nick - I don't know if anyone has asked this one yet. Given that the marketing activities of Rip Bong quik have contributed to overcrowding at many spots (yes I know a lot of is just population gowth and the shift to the coast) Would they consider funding artificial surfing reefs? $10m could put 10 peaks on a beach that normally has none.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Look everyone: Thank you so much for your input here! It's really given me an outline for the kind of questions you'd like to see answered. I'll have a close look through every response and build a series of questions out of your concerns and my own. Up there on the agenda will be:

a) the palpable anger, disgust, and general demonisation of the surf industry displayed by many everyday surfers, who tend to hold the industry responsible for a range of perceved ills, including overcrowding of surf spots, betrayal of the surf community's environmental credentials, and exploitation of both the surfing life and foreign workforces in pursuit of greater profits. How aware are the industry leaders of this emotional response from the wider surf community? Do they regard this response as something they have to somehow be accountable for, and if so, how?

b) potential funding of artificial reef projects by surf industry companies, in order to provide new surf spots to absorb overcrowding. Is this practical?

c) concern for young surfers who become enlisted in surf company endorsement programs.

d) apparent lack of willingness in the Australian surf industry to co-operate in facing the wider concerns of the sport. (Ie: in the USA, there's an organisation called SIMA, the surf industry manufacturer's association, which provides a collective get together spot for industry companies to address environmentalism, changes in the sport etc etc. SIMA enables over a million dollars in donations every year to people like Surfrider etc, it holds an annual summit type conference where all sorts of issues facing the sport and industry are addressed, etc. The same thing operates in Europe. Yet Australia's surf industry has resisted any attempt to work collectively. Why?)

rack, handjobs etc, well that goes without saying for chrissake.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:36 pm

right, ringmaster! and that's why we should nationalise these immensely profitable businesses which are also national icons and start using their profits to build health clinics and schools in isolated areas far far far from the stupid beaches!! let's take back quiksilver, rip curl and billabong for the people!!!

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:40 pm

And give back our shorts, these things might be comfy to surf in, but WTF do they look like :?: culottes :x .