A.P.E.C.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:03 am

2nd Reef wrote: And Johnny H, the little turd, dared call Sydneysiders churlish for being upset about it. The arrogant liitle shit! Most Sydneysiders are against it, so as far as I can see it's the first time he's disregarded a poll when making a decision. Pity for him that it'll be one that people remember, and so close to an election.
There was the GST & of course Workchoices where he ignored the polls. He must figure we'll forget by the time the election comes along. Hell, we have before, but I reckon he won't be so lucky this time around.

The waste of money is disgusting, but the private zoo on Garden Island as well as shutting down Bondi on a weekend so the wives can eat at the Icebergs is beyond comprehension.

And as for disallowing protest & that list of people banned from the city, WTF? Is this China or Australia? But we get a day off so all's OK right? Are we that f*ckin' easy to buy off? I hope not.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:34 am

I used to always imagine myself as a riot squad commander chasing down the dole bludging hippy scum protesters and beating them like seals and now when I see how much of tax payers money is used towards feeding those boofhead dignitaries, prawn cocktail canapés, I get so angry that I now imagine myself running into one of those functions and head butting as many of those dickheads as I can before getting dragged off by the men in white suites.

Our hospital system is in crisis and our own people are getting turned away to die because of a lack of State and federal funds.

I reckon I would love to see someone do a ”Maria Antoinette” on them.
If our heads of state are not working properly we might as well get rid of them.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:54 am

This thread made me check out SMH for the first time in ages, and I was surprised to see a quote from a Communist Party of Australia spokesman at the start of the APEC article. I'm sure there was no Communist Party of Australia last few times I voted. Anyone know when it started up again?

still here
charger

Post by still here » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:55 am

Have you all forgotten ....

AUSTRALIA INSTIGATED APEC !! .... (in fact it was the governing Labour party ... so put that in your pipe and smoke it ) .

Sydneysiders are so up themselves they don't want to be inconvevienced . They'd prefer to foist it on anyone else .
Real considerate !!
Canberra is a dump and I'm sorry to break it to you but some things are about "impression" .
It is simply naiive to think Rudd et al would do it any different .

A last point of irony is that for protesters this Apec thing is a complete blessing !!

I was inconvenienced yesterday and probably will be tomorrow , but I'm happy for an extra public holiday and I hope everyone gets there point across peacefully .

PS . I may still change my tune

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:01 pm

wanto wrote:big wigs being wined and dined on tax payer dollars so openly and oppressively in the 70's 80's or 90's ??
Your key word is probably the ‘open’ part Wanto. Like any big business, they have the propensity to want to outdo the last event. Take the Olympics, each one has to do the last one type mentality.

Until eventually someone with some kahunas has a look at the bill and says it just ain’t worth it.

Don’t think the ‘alleged’ terrorist threat/security has helped so it would be intersting to see what happened previously or will happen in the future.

Still, you can guarantee there are some companies just rubbing their hands together for this jaunt.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:05 pm

wanto wrote:don't you think the biggest protest now would be to not protest? total indifference, no body to rattle the 10 foot cage, 1000 cops with nothing to do. impossible, i know, but ....
Yep, that is exactly what I am thinking wanto. I think it would be hilarious if nobody went to protest, if we all the did the truly Australian thing and accepted the public holiday and had a long weekend and forgot what we were getting the holiday for.

Imagine what the TV channels would do if no protestors turned up. They would have to find 15 minutes of their half hour news to report on something worth reporting on.

A yawn is the best form of protest

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:07 pm

iggy wrote:Might be a chance that john or george could get assassinated :D Now that's cricket !
Be careful iggy, you might find a knock at the door at some unwelcome hour after that post!

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:35 pm

still here wrote:Have you all forgotten ....

AUSTRALIA INSTIGATED APEC !! .... (in fact it was the governing Labour party ... so put that in your pipe and smoke it ) .

Sydneysiders are so up themselves they don't want to be inconvevienced . They'd prefer to foist it on anyone else .
Real considerate !!
Canberra is a dump and I'm sorry to break it to you but some things are about "impression" .

A last point of irony is that for protesters this Apec thing is a complete blessing !!

I was inconvenienced yesterday and probably will be tomorrow , but I'm happy for an extra public holiday and I hope everyone gets there point across peacefully .

Bob Hawke started it.

It was in Canberra.

The US wasn't invited.

It was a forum for creating ties through business. Had nothing to do with security or military might.

APEC has become a very different thing these days.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:58 pm

None of you will care too hoots if this low develops in the tasman as the models are suggesting.
Could be a very good long weekend, very unlikely that there will be any surfers anywhere near the protests. Looks like it could get better and better through the weeknd too. Not sure what the wind will do yet but I reckon it will be alright in S half of NSW and all Qld points. The North coast is gonna be right in the firing line with swell and howling onshores.

I suggest that the world leaders re-consider their choice of quiver and pack a decent 6'8" pintail.

jfdi
regular

Post by jfdi » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:26 pm

Glad I'm not anywhere near it. Sounds real depressing. Its a big effort for me on occasions just to walk up to the local milk bar. :roll:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:43 pm

2nd Reef wrote:

Real considerate !!

Bob Hawke started it.

It was in Canberra.

The US wasn't invited.

It was a forum for creating ties through business. Had nothing to do with security or military might.

This last line is the thing. Without the rentacrowd (same faces at the front of every protest, whichever state it happens in) there would be a lot less need for all the $$$ spent on security.

Only natural though, that security assumes a higher profile given the mess the world is in today. And you can blame that on the over the top fanatics from every religion!!

ether
regular

Post by ether » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:50 pm

TrevG wrote: Only natural though, that security assumes a higher profile given the mess the world is in today. And you can blame that on the over the top fanatics from every religion!!
Can we? Feel free to elaborate.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:00 pm

APEC helps to keep you rich whilst keeping others poor.

(Others = those who might otherwise overtake you)

Isn't that what you'd prefer?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:08 pm

ether wrote:
TrevG wrote:

Only natural though, that security assumes a higher profile given the mess the world is in today. And you can blame that on the over the top fanatics from every religion!!
Can we? Feel free to elaborate.
Thanks ether. It probably does need some more detailed explanation.

Like many Aussies in this day and age, I can boast a number of friends who are moderate in their views. In other words they are able to live, work and play with members of religions other than their own, without fireworks. Leaving Buddhism aside for a minute, the three major religions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism all share the same God. The friends I am talking about are happy to acknowledge that and respect one anothers' views.

Their are fanatics among all three of these religions who espouse the "ours is the only path etc etc crap". You can trace most of the troubles in the world back to the crazies.
And I only left Buddhism out because it doesn't share the "one God" theme as the other three as related to the above notes.

In fact, although I am agnostic, I can tell you that the truest religious experience I can ever recall took place in a Buddhist Temple in Hawaii.

razorback
Grommet

Post by razorback » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:30 pm

Who the fuck cares it's happening, these people have been voted in to represent their countries. It's not a meeting to see how much money they can spend but to but for better economic relations, trade agreements etc between the countries. The reason it costs so much is because people feel the need to protest so security is blown out of preportion. Its like arguing with a footy ref after he's made the call its not going to do anything your just going to get upset and angry. And why do so many people wanna give G bush so much shit when he's not even our leader, I know we'vw been roped into these current wars but if we don't back them they don't back us, so if shit was ever to hit the fan in OZ the US is a country u want behind u...

However I do think it would be fun to get into a wettie and pad up a bit and head for the water cannon for a bit of fun...

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:37 pm

TrevG wrote:
2nd Reef wrote:

Real considerate !!

Bob Hawke started it.

It was in Canberra.

The US wasn't invited.

This last line is the thing. Without the rentacrowd (same faces at the front of every protest, whichever state it happens in) there would be a lot less need for all the $$$ spent on security.

No mate, the last line isn't 'the thing'.

Perhaps I should've elaborated, but when I said security, I didn't mean security against protestors. I meant national security, which is counter to APEC's original intention.

Putting aside the arguments of globalisation, the purpose of APEC has been changed. It's original intention altered. So yes, Hawkey and Labour started it....but with a different vision.

Anyway about globalisation....still dont know where I fully stand on it but was thinking this morning. One of the results of globalisation is that the jobs of unskilled people get replaced by software or by cheaper labour markets in other countries. Therefore people in developed countries (i.e us) have to keep developing our skill range and making sure we are educated enough to be useful.

But if the government keeps raising HECs who are going to be the ones getting the required education? (I started studying again this year. In ten years HECS has nearly doubled).

Say goodbye to egalitarianism. Open the door and say hello to a burgeoning, simmering underclass.

Doesn't affect you?

Lets see how stable our society is in 20 years. Lets see how the IT industry handles it when the majority of work is done offshore. Many folk go to the IT industry cos you dont need tertiary study and lotsa skills are learnt on the job. However, is there an industry that is any more prone to mobility than IT? None that I can think of. Most IT workers I know work from a city office and have contracts to work on remote locations. Not hard for that office to skip the country and still work remotely. And there is a rising Indian middle-class that have the skills and will work for a lot less than you.

If he is going to welcome globalisation, well good on him. Do it. But make sure we've got our house in order here before we open the doors.

Murrum....are you out there??

ether
regular

Post by ether » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:07 pm

TrevG wrote: Their are fanatics among all three of these religions who espouse the "ours is the only path etc etc crap". You can trace most of the troubles in the world back to the crazies.
Nah, I don't buy it, Trev. Not denying there's fanatics out there, but that's not where all the troubles come from.

Did George Bush launch his invasion to convert Iraqis to hardcore Christianity?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:17 pm

ether wrote:
TrevG wrote: Their are fanatics among all three of these religions who espouse the "ours is the only path etc etc crap". You can trace most of the troubles in the world back to the crazies.
Nah, I don't buy it, Trev. Not denying there's fanatics out there, but that's not where all the troubles come from.

Did George Bush launch his invasion to convert Iraqis to hardcore Christianity?
You haven't heard Dubya spruiking about God on his side??