Does surfing under the influence enhance the experience....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

rmb
barnacle

Does surfing under the influence enhance the experience....

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:39 pm

MP used to enjoy a few joints before he paddled, RCJ and crew apparently enjoyed a few lines of coke before surfing big waves.

I occasionally have a few stubbies whilst checking the surf before deciding to paddle out and enjoy doing so.

So im asking does being under the influence on the odd occasion enhance your surfing experience? Im not talking ridiculously fcuked up just a few beers or a joint whatever?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Re: Does surfing under the influence enhance the experience.

Post by black duck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:58 pm

rmb wrote:MP used to enjoy a few joints before he paddled, RCJ and crew apparently enjoyed a few lines of coke before surfing big waves.

I occasionally have a few stubbies whilst checking the surf before deciding to paddle out and enjoy doing so.

So im asking does being under the influence on the odd occasion enhance your surfing experience? Im not talking ridiculously fcuked up just a few beers or a joint whatever?
I surfed burning palms once tripping on acid. I fcuken ripped that day.... and the orange bubbles were pretty cool too
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Blew heaps of sessions by being whacked off my tits on chillums of hash over the years. Never effectively surfed tripping. Just floated around being weird. Had coke a couple of times but never in really good conditions.

I gather people surf after drinking beer but I basically have a rule never to go surfing after any alcohol. Have done it after one or two beers over the years but I don't like it.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:03 am

black duck wrote:
rmb wrote:MP used to enjoy a few joints before he paddled, RCJ and crew apparently enjoyed a few lines of coke before surfing big waves.

I surfed burning palms once tripping on acid. I fcuken ripped that day.... and the orange bubbles were pretty cool too
That would have been fun.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:16 pm

Acid's too much to deal with in the surf. It's a sensory overload. The one time I attempted it my brain couldn't cope. I kept giggling and just falling off. Kooked it and paddled in. Speed just speeds things up too much. you're too wired and unsettled. Good nights sleep, a big hearty breakfast, a few glasses of water, and two or three really strong black coffees work best.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Coffee could contribute cramping if your after the healthy pre surf. Ive never really been big on drugs apart from a few joints once in a blue moon so wouldn't know the effect but it sounds fun what about magic mushies.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:08 pm

I remember a day at Burleigh as a teenager , after having a large "mushroom" omelette for breakfast.....it was like The Inermost Limits in super slow-mo.....couldn't put a foot wrong......got lip launched and laughed my guts out.....then solved all the problems of the world..... :D

Wyre
Snowy McAllister

Post by Wyre » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:58 pm

I like the idea of blazing a spliff as I cruise the coast, listening to Jimi, finding that sweet set up.. paddling out to smoothly rip the wave apart over and over again.. then quietly return to my car buzzing with the vibe.

The reality is whenever I smoke weed and surf, I suck.

But the first bit, before the actual riding of waves, is great fun!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:34 pm

Yeah, blowing a reefer is better for laying around on the beach......and screwing your girlfriend.

Using MP as an example for surfing under the influence is fraught with danger.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Did it once at a break called Farmyards in Sw WA in the early 90's, pre development it was a 20 minute walk through paddocks to get there.

Rolled spliffs, grabbed boards and started the walk. Was baked by the time I got on the beach. Fairly solid, had forgotten a leggie. 1st wave attempted and over the falls, board washed in, long swim. 2nd wave, rinse and repeat. Didn't try to surf under the influence again.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:04 am

When I was at J/bay in 84 , did not surf straight, put the wetsuit on, smoked a bottle neck and paddled out. If I wasn't nearly falling flat on my face walking across the rocks, I couldn't surf.

Same year scored some pure coke off a Peruvian bloke and entered the comp that is now the billabong pro, the one occy won. Must have worked well for me, I beat Garry Green. 3-)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:42 am

Surfing on mull cookies is really nice.

Nice, relaxed body stone. Great for paddling and smooth surfing.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:11 am

depends on yer age , and roll model of the times really......BRING BACK CAPTAIN GOODVIBES !!!! :d :d :d :dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaFxaAcbr1c

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:51 am

I'm waiting on a post here from Andy Irons.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Never surfed under the influence but got baked on a ski lift once a long time ago & lost all skiing ability. Took forever to get down the bottom without seriously injuring myself & I went straight home. I reckon I'd drown if I did the same surfing.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:59 pm

I reckon I spent half the seventies surfing stoned really. When I was in the equivalent of year 10 the older guys used to just chuck a pebble of hash into a chillum and hand it to the grommets and get them ripped off their minds for entertainment. We went from having a hyper competitive Board riders Club to just total parody and then dissolution in about three years from when I started surfing.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Beanpole wrote:I reckon I spent half the seventies surfing stoned really. When I was in the equivalent of year 10 the older guys used to just chuck a pebble of hash into a chillum and hand it to the grommets and get them ripped off their minds for entertainment. We went from having a hyper competitive Board riders Club to just total parody and then dissolution in about three years from when I started surfing.
Yeah, there was a time in my youth when I wouldn't do anything unless I was stoned, surfing was one of them. Have no idea if it was better or worse for your surfing as some days it would click in and everything would align, other days, not so much...
smnmntll wrote:

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 pm

I remember one afternoon at Tama with a big N/E cyclone swell in late summer. We finished school and bolted down the beach and smoked some completely insane weed. Then, without really looking at how serious the surf was or realising how completely ripped to the eyeballs we were, we hightailed around to Maccas for the rock jump as it was too big to jump off any where else. Conditions were pretty good with a moderate offshore and clean swell. Got into the line up and when the first set pulsed in I realised how serious conditions were. Really hard to scratch into them on our little 6 footers with shifty peaks and the swell being so thick and moving so fast. One of the guys I was with was rescued by the Westpac helicopter (then known as Wales) as he freaked and lost his board on a bomb set. I managed to scratch onto the edge of one, survive the drop, turned and then got worked as the whole section folded on me. Pushed me into the beach, thank fcuk.

The only guy who didn't go out that day was the guy who had the weed. He knew...
smnmntll wrote: