Fast Eddie

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

kayu
Local

Re: Fast Eddie

Post by kayu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:18 pm

rmb wrote:
localbogan wrote:
As for the WSL they are a business and if they can do without dealing with local stakeholders of course they are going to avoid it. Perhaps in modern times they can simply ignore extortion attempts if thats what it is.
They are not a business. They are an organisation backed by corporations , and operating on a global scale . The sad thing is that local communities ARE being shut out.....and shafted by these corporations , and people just accept that as the status quo without question . Its happening globally , and this episode in Hawaii is just another example of a far bigger problem........no different to the money hungry parasites that want a cruise ship terminal on the middle of the Gold Coast . Eddie Rothman has a well known colourfull past , but he's not the one on trial here.......

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:33 pm

kayu wrote:It's a well known fact that all corporate involvement in sport is about one thing, and one thing only......money. All corporate decisions are made with one thing in mind......the money.......end of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4nQvB9Yink

i posted this the other day on the honorable Stewart thread
wrong place i guess

cheers huie

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:03 pm

The link was posted at the start of the thread.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:08 pm

kayu wrote:
They are not a business. They are an organisation backed by corporations , and operating on a global scale . The sad thing is that local communities ARE being shut out.....and shafted by these corporations , and people just accept that as the status quo without question . Its happening globally , and this episode in Hawaii is just another example of a far bigger problem........no different to the money hungry parasites that want a cruise ship terminal on the middle of the Gold Coast . Eddie Rothman has a well known colourfull past , but he's not the one on trial here.......

I have to agree on all points made their Kayu.
It would be good to see those Eddie Rothman has called out within the WSL respond to Eddies concerns if they are a view held by the wider community but I doubt they will just like how Bobby Martinez was shafted.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:11 pm

Someone correct me if Im wrong but the WSL are now taking ownership of events instead of just rating them?

I am not sure how it all works but apparently Bells was owned by Surfing Victoria up until last year when the ASP took ownership of the event??

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:32 pm

Fed up to the back teeth of corporate interests taking ownership of everything that belongs to us all . The rot has well and truely set in......revolution is becoming inevitable.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:16 pm

kayu wrote:Fed up to the back teeth of corporate interests taking ownership of everything that belongs to us all . The rot has well and truely set in......revolution is becoming inevitable.
Is this revolution a reaction to the structure of surfing events & how business' choose to spend their advertising budgets by way of sponsorships?
I'm dying to strap on the backpack & make a statement for this worthy cause, can you suggest some suitable locations to commence this jihad to protect the sporting futures of some poorly educated affluent 1st world children.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:42 pm

Slob it seems like strapping on the backpack has become a thing of the past for Jihadis judging by recent events but if you would like a location I would suggest the US open of surfing for maximum carnage.

I think a revolution is going a little bit too far perhaps a change of direction away from the WSL is the way to go. I enjoy watching contests when the waves are good such as the Chopes contest last year but I also applaud what the likes of the Lennox Head and the North WA locals achieved by lobbying to keep a contest away from their respective breaks.

The Da Hui Backdoor shootout ran today with the likes of Bruce Irons, Jamie Obrien, Mark Matthews, Ian Walsh, Dingo Walsh and Damo Hobgood. Looking at the pictures it seems like mr Rothmans crew got good waves.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Its got fuck all to do with backpacks or jihads...I think the revolution has already started . It's just people waking up , and deciding to think for themselves , instead of swallowing the nonsense....simple as that.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:17 pm

rmb wrote:
I think a revolution is going a little bit too far perhaps a change of direction away from the WSL is the way to go. I enjoy watching contests when the waves are good such as the Chopes contest last year but I also applaud what the likes of the Lennox Head and the North WA locals achieved by lobbying to keep a contest away from their respective breaks.
Revolutions don't have to be about anarchy rmb.......or violence......just spend your money wisely , and ignore the relentless marketing machine , and live how you want to live . The most important community in the world is your local........everything mainstream media these days , is weak as piss , and on the make.[/quote]

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 pm

kayu wrote:Fed up to the back teeth of corporate interests taking ownership of everything that belongs to us all . The rot has well and truely set in......revolution is becoming inevitable.
I don't understand the concern that the ASP/WSL have taken ownership of surfing. They don't affect me too much. They don't claim to have a patent.

I don't have to ask them permission or pay a fee to the WSL if I want to go surfing.

It's like saying whoever runs pro darts events somehow takes ownership of darts. Nup, I can play darts whenever I want and however I want.

This seems a strangely unique surfing paranoia, particularly as pro surfing is such a tiny aspect of the surfing pastime.

The ASP/WSL run a few professional surf events at a few beaches, if they are allowed by local authorities, if those local authorities deem it within their tourism promotional interests. Mr Rothman seems to believe that gives them an obligation to fund and support non ASP/WSL Hawaiian activities. They perhaps don't think so, particularly to those who are hostile to them. I think Mr Rothman has displayed a similar attitude to those who aren't on his side. C'est la vie.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Foamy I cant really see that there is anything to gain from a fcuk the ASL/WSL viva the revolution type attitude as kayu was kinda alluding to in his last post if your not into it just switch off from it and don't buy into it. I guess the issue Fast Eddie has is previous arrangements have been altered in regards to the pipe masters and the amount of local wildcards which I agree with him is crap.

You are right the WSL don't own surfing and are only a small part of the sport it still doesn't make them exempt from engaging with local stakeholders such as the local hawaiians when they want to claim the premier breaks in a region for a few months of the season. No wonder a few of the locals want a slice of the action.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Fast Eddie needs to buy a decent pair of sunnies that actually fit his head.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Hes got a pretty big head.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:05 pm

rmb wrote:Slob it seems like strapping on the backpack has become a thing of the past for Jihadis judging by recent events*Fashion always seems to pass me by, or maybe I'm capturing a retro look* but if you would like a location I would suggest the US open of surfing for maximum carnage.

That circus regularly self destructs just fine all by itself thanks to an enthusiastic fan base.
Warm ups already underway for Aust Open & Biarritz.
Last edited by Slobadan Madicubich on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:07 pm

rmb wrote: You are right the WSL don't own surfing and are only a small part of the sport it still doesn't make them exempt from engaging with local stakeholders such as the local hawaiians when they want to claim the premier breaks in a region for a few months of the season. No wonder a few of the locals want a slice of the action.
You are right and I am sympathetic to that view. I was recently talking to a young Hawaiian guy who spends 6 months of the year in Australia. Gets jobs on road crews in Central Australia etc. He says, there is so little work in Hawaii and it is so hard to get. You can try to join the police or sell pineapples by the side of the road.
Surfing is all they've got, in a way, and if outsiders just take it, it doesn't leave them with much. I can totally respect Rothman's view that these Fly In/Fly Out rich people, who are mining surfing, should be putting some money into the local community, who are the descendants of the people who actually invented surfing.

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:40 pm

I got misquoted somehow on one of those cut and pastes above...no big deal but I think Eddie could benefit from seeing this documentary, he seems to have a lot of anger in him
http://beyondrightandwrong.com

Bobby Dazzler
Local

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:01 am

both the ASL/WSL and rothman use hawaii and hawaiian surf culture to enrich themselves at the expense of hawaii and hawaiian surf culture.