Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Karlos » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Legion wrote:Here's a question for you Nick. I'm watching Innersection 2. Pete Devries rips and has great style. He obviously works harder than most up there in the Pacific north west. Has he ever tried to take it further? Eg WQS? Not quite good enough? You'd think you'd move if surfing was your passion and you had enough talent.
Well for one thing you really do have to take video sections with a minor grain of salt. They do not show you the number of waves it took to compile the edit.
Reminds me of a time a while back skating the bowls at Five Dock & there was a fairly proficient bloke getting filmed doing a particular mapped out run which he was unable to nail in the couple of hours I was there. He had about 4 or 5 tricks (couple of airs of different variations, a disaster & something else) but just couldn't link them all in the one run. It would have been no more than a 10 or 15 second spot & he just wasn't able to get it. A couple of hours with no success.

Made me wonder about other skate & surf videos & how much filming really goes into them. The guys with the cameras must be extremely patient, especially considering they're not the ones surfing.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Tonks.

If you're in SEQ and looking to build up ability to charge double overhead plus then it's not gonna be often as you're probably well aware.

Being able to paddle tirelessly against sweeps and not get axed on shallow grinding sandbanks will be your main concerns for the most part.

If I were you I'd be doing as much surfing as possible to get nimble and fit, and a lot of chest, shoulders, lats and upper body work as possible to build up paddle endurance.

Good training ground for the next big ECL or cyclone swell that hits would be to get your arse over to North Straddie, paddle out off the tip of deadmans just before widows and surf the entire stretch from deadmans, thru cylinder, thru home beach, then adder rocks. Spend hours and hours doing that full stretch over and over. That'll soon sort you out.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:51 pm

Karlos wrote: Made me wonder about other skate & surf videos & how much filming really goes into them. The guys with the cameras must be extremely patient, especially considering they're not the ones surfing.
Huge amounts - unless the subject is incredibly talented

Like Jordy Smith just released some video of himself on a trip to Mozambique, it was probably a 3-4day trip and they pretty much made a movie out of it.

Most surfers would take several months to compile a few minutes' high quality ftg.

The camera guys? Well they vary from very savvy young guys who are intent on building a career and working up their chops a bit on fun surf footage etc, to wannabe pro surfers who just wanna hang with the surf stars and use their cameras as a meal ticket.

It's boring work but it isn't hard.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Tonks.

If you're in SEQ and looking to build up ability to charge double overhead plus then it's not gonna be often as you're probably well aware.

Being able to paddle tirelessly against sweeps and not get axed on shallow grinding sandbanks will be your main concerns for the most part.

If I were you I'd be doing as much surfing as possible to get nimble and fit, and a lot of chest, shoulders, lats and upper body work as possible to build up paddle endurance.

Good training ground for the next big ECL or cyclone swell that hits would be to get your arse over to North Straddie, paddle out off the tip of deadmans just before widows and surf the entire stretch from deadmans, thru cylinder, thru home beach, then adder rocks. Spend hours and hours doing that full stretch over and over. That'll soon sort you out.
hatchnam, with respect, you're asking a bit much there of a surfer you don't know.

it's v important when advising someone about stuff like this that you don't encourage them to do stuff they may not be anywhere near ready for. Like it's not about what you might do or think you can do, it's about what might suit tonks.

To put it in context, it's a bit like you asking me about getting fit for surfing and me saying yeah OK, 13 training sessions a week, 3 x 4k swim sets, 2 x full ironman sets of 2.5hrs each, 3 board paddling sessions and 3 ski sessions plus two gym/running sets.

I would never do that to someone else without their express permission and a solid knowledge of their athletic background.

tonks my advice remains the same, just try to lift the hours in the water, and if you have some travel time, don't go to, like Oahu in December, but to somewhere within your range but consistent.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 pm

I'm really curious about this tonks . Where are u at on the journey? What waves ridden , experience etce etc what equipment have you got? And would you b prepared to get out of Brisbane to get some real surf time?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:57 pm

Why did you surf 6-8ft caba? A well hit 3 wood could've had you in some properly good waves

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:24 pm

so you got nine weeks available and you want to chase some big waves, or bigger than you have ridden . Correct?

Or are you thinking of seriously zigging hard left and making this a bigger part of your lifes journey.

fcuk knows why I keep saying journey.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 pm

Of course.

In nine weeks you're probably not going to get much further than what you are now. Head to Indo or Fiji and take on some 6-8ft waves on a decent board.

Can you tuberide solid reefbreaks?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:57 pm

alakaboo wrote:Why did you surf 6-8ft caba? A well hit 3 wood could've had you in some properly good waves
Gee that's harsh Boo..But you're right. Caba is possibly the most overrated wave on the planet.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 am

tonks wrote: I, ah, happen to think there's a few things that are more important than surfing.

Could you elaborate on this.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:00 am

steve shearer wrote:Head to Indo or Fiji and take on some 6-8ft waves on a decent board.
Yeah, settle into a good reef break, get your bearings on a solid day. Surf one that's not too ledgey and has a decent channel to escape. With some proper foam underneath you it's pretty awesome.

Disclaimer: I am in no way qualified to give advice on this, just my own experience.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Tonks, would you consider moving to a Pacific island community, or do you have the same geographical focus we've discussed?
Based on your skillset and desire to move, there are a few opportunities with aid and development groups.
I get a few things come across my desk and know a few people....I can't take up most of them due to other factors.
Plus your skills are more useful than mine.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:40 pm

How would you do that or how are you doing that?

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Dear nick do you know anything about the surf in Samoa ? And if so would be able to share some of your knowledge?
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:24 pm

"Ninguém é absoluto o suficiente para se colocar diante das pessoas como o rei da razão. O seu certo pode ser o meu errado, e vice--versa. Cada um é cada um. Devemos, sim, expor nossas posições, mas sem atacar quem pensa o contrário" .

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Oops sorry wrong forum...stirring mofos in other forums around the world.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:28 pm

andy2476 wrote:Dear nick do you know anything about the surf in Samoa ? And if so would be able to share some of your knowledge?
Not enough. I've never been there but I know numerous people who have. I know there's some really solid waves there, sounds like sligtly uneven reef breaks, north side is better, and you can't surf on Sundays. I'll talk to some mates and get some more info for you

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks, been invited to a friends 50th there in April. A few families who except ours are all from rural NZ. Cheap family style village accommodation. So not a debauched shameful resort type experience but a pretty mellow family vibe. Wondering if it's worth taking a board or should I just chill and forget about surfing for a week. Whch if the surf is nearby and baking will be pretty hard to do.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy