Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Go for it Headlander.
Someone's gotta show Nick it's not all about him.

:-)(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:39 pm

whaddya mean, you're the one who thinks he's smarter than Einstein and Stephen Hawking.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:whaddya mean, you're the one who thinks he's smarter than Einstein and Stephen Hawking.
Fffffffffftt!
You and facts. :mrgreen:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

xe
regular

Post by xe » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Nick, did you ever find out the origins of the name of Long Reef's "German Banks"?
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:52 pm

No I have not.

I will do so and report back.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I am sorta vaguely hoping it is a wake up call for the ZoSea crew. They'll be thinking 'gosh weren't we clever putting on this Heritage round' but maybe also they'll be a bit gobsmacked at the power of history within the sport. Most of the people involved don't really know shit about that side of surfing, they think they are involved in a sort of Henry Ford like "history is bunk" exercise - what in US biz parlance has become known as a "disruption". I think that is why they were so dismissive of surf photogs etc at that first event at Snapper. But disruption theory is, to use a polite word, bullshit; most things that've been going a while have inherent value that may not be apparent at first to newcomers, and only when that inherent value surfaces and is included in the whole shebang does the operation gain some real momentum. Curren's performance at JBay was a graphic demonstration of the world tour's historical power and value. It illustrated what an outrageously good deal ZoSea struck when they got hold of the ASP for basically fcuk all. Let's now see if it helps propel them toward a functioning profitable business model.
For a perfect example of this take a look at cycling. The grand tours and one day races are totally interwoven with the history of the sport. There are constant references to famous races and stages from the past, monuments to old riders and often famous past riders are present at podium ceremonies. And not just TDF winners or World champ's but stage winners and domestiques.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:37 pm

I found the constant sycophantic jabbering about the heritage heat fairly nauseating.
The surfing was fine, I liked watching it. Well Tom at least.
Occy showed that he shouldn't have taken Wilko's advice on which board to ride.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:05 am

oh I see. You're not struggling with time in the context of Einsteinian physics so much as time's passing as measured by human systems etc - chronology

I dunno, it feels soundly enough based if a tiny bit ragged around the edges, a year is how long it takes for the Earth to get around the Sun in orbit, what more splendid measurement could there be really

A day is sunrise to sunrise, again splendidly practical idea, and the months are basically hooked up to lunar cycles

The trouble is with the fcuken Earth itself, it's not perfectly round, the lunar cycles aren't exactly matched to the year, and the whole Solar System isn't perfect either, it keeps fluctuating by these tiny pissweak amounts, Christ how annoying

fongy you have way too much time to waste over there, there's some really good waves atm, I suggest go and surf 'em.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:08 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:41 am

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:22 am

let me guess, you're trying to pull straight airs.

this is why guys do rotations, not only is it easier 'cause you're using the wave face curve more than the lip, but it tends to keep you moving at about the same speed as the wave, so you end up landing on the lip or whitewater rather than flying wildly out on to the flats.

work on a rotation, like the classic air reverse, be prepared to wipe out a lot, don't push 'em, just try to flow the whole thing together without a lot of muscling. It'll probably take you 150-200 attempts before you get a feel for it but if you can get through that without spraining your ankle or whatever, then you'll start to develop a second nature feeling for how the wave moves in relation to you in the air.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:33 am

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:.....
, human beings have yet to invent anything capable of accelerating to a speed even remotely approaching one tenth of the speed of light.
Well, we did build the LHC that can get a few protons to 0.999999991 c, or about 3 metres per second slower than the speed of light.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:15 pm

yeah I meant with humans in it

I mean there's shit zooming around us at or near the speed of light all fcuken day long, it's just not us.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Legion wrote:Here's my question - airs. I've been doing them a bunch and get the launch part right but my conversion rate is very low. I'm too old for the punishment but it's fun to try. My ankles and knees don't like me. Almost every one I do is off a lip and I tend to land hard on the flats and eat it. Before I break another board (or myself), I'm sure I shouldn't be landing on the flats but where else should I aim. I use the lip and project off and out to the beach - should it be more lateral? Surely then (perceived) height will suffer.
Legion, my airs are otherwise known as falling off, but this Corey Lopez Surfline tip video has a lot of his frontside straight airs. He says, very important to avoid the flats. Often his frontside straight airs are quite lateral, sometimes hooked around, depending on what the wave is doing. He really controls his shoulder rotation to pick his spot for a soft landing. Might be worth a look.

http://youtu.be/KCAIx1sfCmE

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
I mean there's shit zooming around us at or near the speed of light all fcuken day long
micro particles of shit

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:17 pm

give legion a break I say. He's just trying to get the most out of those shithouse Perth beachies.