Good waves - bad surfing!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

barstardos
charger

Good waves - bad surfing!

Post by barstardos » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:33 pm

We have been pretty lucky with some tasty waves around this week. One thing i have found really frustrating is occasionally looking around and seeing a really nice section line up and the kook who got lucky and caught a wave just going straight. You know any half competent surfer would smash it.
I try not to let good waves go to waste on kooks, but you cant be everywhere all at once!!

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:11 pm

one of the plastic/ceramic glocks would work better in the water

prepare
regular

Post by prepare » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:26 pm

who cares?

everyone has to start somewhere :) and as long as im not on the wave i dont care what the rider does with it.

BB

Post by BB » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:32 pm

What a load of crap......if there are fifty kooks floating through the line up the odds are that one of them will be inside you when the peak comes in a shifting beach break. Screw them if they don't look like they are going to use the wave to advantage.
I don't go out on a golf course and whack balls around aimlessly, I don't run across tennis courts when games are in progress and so on, so why should we be tolerant of total beginners. tourists etc in the line up. They all have to start somewhere? Well let them start where most of us did...body surfing in the flags...riding body boards or whatever...then real boards in the protected corners where we weren't in the way!

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:56 pm

I can see your point but if he gets the wave and rides it, then that's what surfing is about, if he pulls back and prevents someone else taking it then thats a reason to complain.

I find some very good surfers more annoying than kooks, they drop in on you, snake you and generally don't care if they run you over. They are the real problem cases in the line up, the real kooks are usually so bad that they don't pose much of a problem.

Really a Kook should describe a guy who just isn't aware of other people in the water or just doesn't care about them regardless if he is a beginner or the next world champ, it's not fair on beginners who are quick learners and are cautious not to piss people off being called kooks.

BB

Post by BB » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:34 pm

A kook is someone making a non-serious attempt, that is they don't really care if they ever surf at a reasonable standard, they are out there for the "experience".......I don't see any problem with taking advantage of them.

The analogy with golf and tennis is inexact but fair, I don't play either but I know enough to suspect that if a group of total beginners booked themselves into a demanding course at peak time and took twenty shots each to reach the green, they might find it harder to book that slot the following week.

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:40 pm

BB wrote:twenty shots each to reach the green.
Pretty much sums my golf up!

Played a few weeks ago and shot 10's on the first 3 holes. :(
A man goes to the zoo.
When he gets there, there was only a dog.
It was a shitzu.

BB

Post by BB » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:08 pm

I'm talking about fifty minimally skilled kooks sitting anywhere you want to place them........even 3ft Curly was a lot more fun before they turned up. It's a social, cultural change. Most surfers used to be fairly serious about what they did. They lived near the beach, knew most of the other surfers and went about their surfing with a bit of dignity and style.

Now the majority at any given moment meet none of those criteria; they don't live near the beach, they only know the people they came with and they have no dignity or style in their approach. Do they have a right to do what they do? Absolutely! Am I obliged to follow some set of arbitrary rules to maximise their "experience" ? Absolutely not.

The other cultural change is competition; it used to be assumed that you would compete for waves and if you were at a serious spot, that competition would be intense with no quarter asked. Now the dominant ethic is to be chilled out and share the waves.........but you know I never really got the hang of that and I'm not going to start trying now.

coastsurfer

Post by coastsurfer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:53 pm

I would have to say that once in a while just about every surfer out there looks or acts like a Kook. If a guy is out there trying to learn, and he screws up a wave, Give the guy a little encouragement he will get there eventually, or you could be the typical try hard hero and bag him out for giving it a go.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:19 pm

Kooks can be used to your advantage. If the crowd is thick sit in the middle of them and take every wave that comes regardless. If they are genuine kooks they don't mind you dropping in, and you're not really dropping in on a guy if he is going straight and you're going to use the wave fully.

Of course you do have to be careful of the kooks boards that are out of control if you are going to use that tactic.

Yesterday I had one of those surfs that I'm not proud of. I think I even caught myself doing a 'pooman' stance at one stage. Three days ago I didn't even know what a pooman stance was, then I learnt from this forum. Now I'm out there doing them.

Proof positive that typing on a keyboard does not improve your surfing.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:32 pm

coastsurfer wrote:I would have to say that once in a while just about every surfer out there looks or acts like a Kook. If a guy is out there trying to learn, and he screws up a wave, Give the guy a little encouragement he will get there eventually, or you could be the typical try hard hero and bag him out for giving it a go.
i see where you are coming from coastsurfer, but i tend to agree with BB & wanto...(everyone has their kook moments, but generally you know if they are 100% kook or just having a bad hair day)...

banish the kooks to the corners - when they are up to speed then they can have a crack at the good stuff...
it's partly our fault as well, we aren't intimidating the kooks enough to banish them to the corners...
instaed we are being PC & friendly, and having a chat to them in the lineup...
fuck that - put shit on 'em & burn 'em...
fuck i remember as a youth i was run over by a kneeboarder at manly, just because i put myself in a shit position paddling out...
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

mad
charger

Post by mad » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:37 pm

So OM what's it gonna be -Oldpooman or Poo oldman? I was thinking of referring to you as Notso, but now I'm all confused!

But on the point you made, I used to hit D'Bah of a Sunday arvo when it was total kookarama (tribe in tow of course), and would get heaps of waves by mere virtue I looked like I knew what I was doing. Just sat out the back to dodge the madness.