Fins: FCS H2

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

collnarra

Fins: FCS H2

Post by collnarra » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:02 pm

I often speak to board makers and ask 'em where the next performance breakthrough is going to come from. Invariably they say a) materials and b) fins.

With that in mind, has anyone tried these FCS H2 fins I've seen advertised in the mags? I see that they're up for an Australian Design Award, too.

Apart from some technical detail, none of the other message boards I've looked at (swaylocks etc) have any info on what they're like to ride.

The FCS website also has a video, but it freezes about five minutes in, every time I try to watch it (at home and office). I guess they've got a test drive program for them in surfshops, but I used fixed fins so it's kinda moot (another thing most shapers say: fixed fins are still superior to removeables)

cheers,

Col.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:02 pm

wanto don't confuse someone being dirty about an individual as opposed to a company if you known Brian well enough you might understand what I mean.

As for the H2's all those that I know who have ridden them like them especially in small waves, my experience is that they are fast thru turns and where you are expecting a normal fin to push back against you these keep going so it takes a bit of getting used to as the resistence isn't where you expect it to be thru turns as speed is manitained (not sure I was clear enuf)

Jessep
Local

Post by Jessep » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:08 pm

all the reports ive heard have been good

im gonna get them soon

lrsa_04
Local

Post by lrsa_04 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:28 am

ive got these fins and they are bullshit. worth the 130 dollars
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:38 am

Hey LRSA,

Thanks for the response. How do you think they are better than normal fins? I am super curious,

cheers,

Col.

lrsa_04
Local

Post by lrsa_04 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:48 am

they just seem so much different to normal fins. has a bit more drive and is really loose off the top just holds its line really well. i have ridden it from 1 ft beachbeaks to 4 ft snapper to 6 ft bower. they are good in all conditions. choppy clean anything.

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:27 am

i rode sum prototypes of these puppies ages ago and hated the f%kers. BUT, i ride loose boards and for my size, pretty small boards. i need me boards to ride 'in' the water as opposed to 'above' if ya know what i mean, cause i use me rails as much as me fins to get the job done, and the h2's messed all that up by lifting the tail out of the water a bit. they are very fast, no doubt, but i lost alot of direction and couldnt go rail to rail as quik (the only way i get speed). but if you ride boards that arent so delicate, BUY THESE FINS. heavy backfoot surfers will love them.

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:06 pm

Hey LRSA + Nubby,

Hope you don't mind me asking - how much do you guys each weigh (kilos)?

-- Hawkeye

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:07 pm

Strikes me kinda weird that these H2s don't come in different sizes like the G- and FG-series fins, for guys of different weights, or at least mention whether they're good for light, medium or heavy surfers.

The young guy at LineUp said he found they were real fast, drivey and loose, but tended to skip out when it was bumpy. He's about 15kg lighter than me (I'm about 80kg).

I tried a set of GYU-X's Friday at Longy - big improvement over the G5's - more drive, speed, AND looser. The GAM's on Sunday gave slightly more drive but too made the board too stiff - took em out and but back the G5s.

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:52 pm

70-75kgs......depends on how much surfin or slothin im doin.....right now im at 71.......and when ya doin test rides, its best to do it at a point or reef where the waves are similar, also helpful is riding different fins for say half a dozen waves, then come in, change em, get another half dozen and so on. helps you narrow down what different fins actualy do to your board.

lrsa_04
Local

Post by lrsa_04 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:17 am

i weigh 75 kilos.