Dark Pandemonium: Parko@Pipe.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Dark Pandemonium: Parko@Pipe.

Post by steve shearer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 pm

It'll swing through Monday, and if winds are favourable they'll run.

Looks like a slow moving low pressure gyre being pushed into a semi-stationary position between the Kurils and Kamchatka with multiple fetches entering the North Pac off Japan.

That would indicate pulses of long range W/WNW swell into the medium term, and a likely finish in incon 4-6ft Pipe.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 pm

steve shearer wrote:That would indicate pulses of long range W/WNW swell into the medium term, and a likely finish in incon 4-6ft Pipe.
Yep agree with that. And one would think that assuming Parko makes it through the earlier rounds (when the bigger swell will favour the wildcards) this smaller 4-6ft swell will be in Parko's favour (even if the swell direction means he has to go left!!!).

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:38 am

Yeah I wouldn't be looking for conditions to be in anyone's favour here

Everyone kills 4-6' Pipe and Backdoor. Mainly would disadvantage local trialists who would prefer it large and a bit unruly.

Just the simple things, form, a good board choice and the ability to win a range of heats.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:40 am

bongs future with the Nuade thing still at large and the importance of them sponsoring Joel and the most critical event of the year has got to be on the minds of judges and officials because without Bong continued success their pay packets are going to be reduced next year.
So don't say it will be cooked but on fine line decisions their awareness of the magnitude of the consequences is going to be interesting. Would not temp them with an interference of any kind if I were Slater and that will be certainly a card that he will be temped by some plant to pick up just as at Sunset with Freestone (Bong kid with Egan in the channel caddie)
Let the games begin

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:15 pm

My prediction for the final is Gabriel Medina vs Matt Wilkinson. Wilco will win by .27 in a final wave exchange that will see Gabe scored 7.5 for an airdrop into a backdoor barrel followed by an air reverse landed on the flats. While Wilko will get a 9.5 for a slightly longer but smaller Pipe barrel. Medina will be gracious in defeat on the podium choking back sobs, while Wilko dedicates his win to Dorothy the Dinosaur. Several Brazilian fans will receive injuries while attempting to access the judging stand.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:23 pm

My prediction for the final is a victory to JJF, the world title race having been decided earlier in the event.

JJF will then crown his breakthrough 2012 by declaring his new sponsorship with ... Quiksilver. Kelly will step back and turn some of his attention to mentoring the new Messiah.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:49 pm

pinhead wrote:My prediction for the final is Gabriel Medina vs Matt Wilkinson. Wilco will win by .27 in a final wave exchange that will see Gabe scored 7.5 for an airdrop into a backdoor barrel followed by an air reverse landed on the flats. While Wilko will get a 9.5 for a slightly longer but smaller Pipe barrel. Medina will be gracious in defeat on the podium choking back sobs, while Wilko dedicates his win to Dorothy the Dinosaur. Several Brazilian fans will receive injuries while attempting to access the judging stand.
It would be good to see Medina narrowly lose another final just to watch the brazilians light up social media with hate yet again.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:My prediction for the final is a victory to JJF, the world title race having been decided earlier in the event.

JJF will then crown his breakthrough 2012 by declaring his new sponsorship with ... Quiksilver. Kelly will step back and turn some of his attention to mentoring the new Messiah.
:D
Sounds like you have the inside info Nick

Lolo
Grommet

Post by Lolo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Is Parko a legit world champ if he doesn't win at Pipe but Kelly falls over and hands him the Title?

Kelly has 3 wins

Mick 2

Taj 2

JJF 1

Parko 0

He needs the win or otherwise he gets an asterisk next to his title like CJ for mine.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:23 pm

I reckon Parko has won enough over the years to get a hall pass on this if the points fall his way.

Everyone knew what they had to do at the start of the year. There hasn't been some short call on the tour like what happened in 2001, or tricky sudden late elevation of the tour to world title status like what happened in 1976. KS got a couple of gimmes on the way to at least two of his wins this year. Parko hasn't been given a heat, he's taken every one.

That's how I see it in any case.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:40 pm

is adriano still in the race? i reckon it would be fabulous and hilarious if he came from behind to take the title. who's writing the script this year anyway, and when are they going to send me my contract for next year?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Aren't you?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:57 pm

no, no, i've been busy with the script for the vietnamese u/19 women's football league this year. next year i've got the asp world tour lined up, or so they assured me at the final interview last month.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:56 am

Cutting through all the fluff , bullshit and hype the fact remains the pressure is on Parko. He's NEVER won one EVER. Slater's pressure is self inflicted - absolutely desperate to win 12 , go out with a bang , retire on the ultimate high , 12 World Titles! 3 x more than MR had which back in day some thought a feat that may never be repeated...sure KS will be dark if he doesn't win and feel it because he is obsessively competitive but if he doesn't win the pain will quickly fade I'd say.

Mick , who's won 2 , outside chance and all - zero pressure before contest and if cards start falling into place - normal ( whatever that means) competitive stress to make it all happen - like if he's in the final and has to win it etc.

But our Parko - far out there would be a lot going on upstairs. If he does win it (and I hope he does) it's ridiculous people saying he won't deserve it bc he hasn't won a contest this year - don't you people get it???? It's NOT about this year for Parko it's about his whole career - basically what he's been doing since he was a little kid probably with pushy parents taking him to the local contests then the interstate ones then junior worlds then all those years on tour with the freak plus AI who beat the freak for a while while the Coolie kids plus Taj were always playing second fiddle then his mate Mick finally wins a couple blah blah and all along some people thought and rightly so still do think , he is easily the most stylish and polished surfer in the world.

An incredibly interesting comp coming up. The most dramatic arena right near the shore plus don't forget it's not the most easiest wave to surf if it gets big and mean and ugly. It can be downright frightening - great surfers have been killed out there. Adds to the expression "putting it all on the line".

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:08 am

Parko really blew it by not warming up here in the music comp.
who knows, he might have gotten a lesson or two in the bargain from nick and claudia.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 am

The draw has Slater potentially meeting Bruce and job in rd4. Could be pivotal.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:36 am

Buff_Brad wrote:Cutting through all the fluff , bullshit and hype the fact remains the pressure is on Parko. He's NEVER won one EVER. Slater's pressure is self inflicted - absolutely desperate to win 12 , go out with a bang , retire on the ultimate high , 12 World Titles! 3 x more than MR had which back in day some thought a feat that may never be repeated...sure KS will be dark if he doesn't win and feel it because he is obsessively competitive but if he doesn't win the pain will quickly fade I'd say.

Mick , who's won 2 , outside chance and all - zero pressure before contest and if cards start falling into place - normal ( whatever that means) competitive stress to make it all happen - like if he's in the final and has to win it etc.

But our Parko - far out there would be a lot going on upstairs. If he does win it (and I hope he does) it's ridiculous people saying he won't deserve it bc he hasn't won a contest this year - don't you people get it???? It's NOT about this year for Parko it's about his whole career - basically what he's been doing since he was a little kid probably with pushy parents taking him to the local contests then the interstate ones then junior worlds then all those years on tour with the freak plus AI who beat the freak for a while while the Coolie kids plus Taj were always playing second fiddle then his mate Mick finally wins a couple blah blah and all along some people thought and rightly so still do think , he is easily the most stylish and polished surfer in the world.

An incredibly interesting comp coming up. The most dramatic arena right near the shore plus don't forget it's not the most easiest wave to surf if it gets big and mean and ugly. It can be downright frightening - great surfers have been killed out there. Adds to the expression "putting it all on the line".
jeez bb you want my air ticket?

"It's not about this year for Parko it's about his whole career". There's your overall reporting theme.

You can borrow my digi recorder, notebook etc. go get 'em!

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:Cutting through all the fluff , bullshit and hype the fact remains the pressure is on Parko. He's NEVER won one EVER. Slater's pressure is self inflicted - absolutely desperate to win 12 , go out with a bang , retire on the ultimate high , 12 World Titles! 3 x more than MR had which back in day some thought a feat that may never be repeated...sure KS will be dark if he doesn't win and feel it because he is obsessively competitive but if he doesn't win the pain will quickly fade I'd say.

jeez bb you want my air ticket?

"It's not about this year for Parko it's about his whole career". There's your overall reporting theme.

You can borrow my digi recorder, notebook etc. go get 'em!
No unfortunately I'm way too busy running a hedge fund making money for rich cnuts.

Bon voyage Nick ... have fun.