Surf buddy or instructor (between sunshine and gold coast)

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

miemie

Surf buddy or instructor (between sunshine and gold coast)

Post by miemie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi, sorry if similar posts have been posted before but I did a quick search on "buddy" and "buddies" and it doesn't look like there's anything relevant ones so here goes:

I'm 26yo female just learning to surf (and I mean standing on the board on small waves *pretty hopeless*)... looking for a surf buddy (preferably someone similar age e.g. 20-35) to go (practice) surfing with on weekdays (I usually go out surfing with a good friend on the weekend)... because I don't dare to go surfing alone... I think having a surf buddy makes it more enjoyable because 1) it gives me more confidence in the water 2) I won't look like a lost idiot paddling up and down and 3) more dining option for the shark (LOL)

I live in Gordon Park, north of brisbane CBD. I like it up on the sunshine coast (caloundra area) so if you're in sunny coast or from brisbane going up to sunny coast that would be convenient... gold coast is okay but I don't like the crowd because I can't watch out for them! I know places like main beach and burleigh are quieter but I was unfortunate to be there mostly on bad days... My fav place is currumbin but that place is packed!

If you're an experienced surfer looking to chillax in small waves on a boring day, you're more than welcome to accompany me surfing, and possibly be my instructor... I can't afford an instructor so the best I can do to compensate for being the lesser surfer is to buy/cook you a meal...

email [email protected] is probably the best way to contact me.

Thanks!

Miemie
Last edited by miemie on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Surf buddy or instructor (between sunshine and gold coas

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:57 pm

message a guy on here called 'bumfluff'.
he'll help you out.
he lives in ipswich but regularly travels to the sunny and gold coast depending on the wind direction, but most dependent on whether or not he's got 'tropical wax' or 'warm water wax' left.
no need for any 'thank you dinners' either.
just swing past a subway on the way back and shout him a footlong, cookies, and large post-mix :wink:
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

miemie

Post by miemie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 pm

... or I'll shout a meal (lunch/dinner) as suggested by Hatchnam

Hatchnam: Thanks for the suggestion :) Bumfluff doesn't appear to have the envelope thingy under a user's name... but anyway, I don't want to be troubling him if he's not up for it, and as a beginner I hate to be in the way of anyone having or wanting to have fun surfing...

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Hatchnam wrote:message a guy on here called 'bumfluff'.
he'll help you out.
he lives in ipswich but regularly travels to the sunny and gold coast depending on the wind direction, but most dependent on whether or not he's got 'tropical wax' or 'warm water wax' left.
no need for any 'thank you dinners' either.
just swing past a subway on the way back and shout him a footlong, cookies, and large post-mix :wink:
How does one man get so funny?

Miemie, your best bet is to hit up Hatchnam for some tips. He'll send you out in 6 - 8ft surf and have you doing standup barrells on your first sesh apparently.. Just remember don't ask any questions, because he didn't. Sometimes I think Hatchnam is Huey himself as he seems to have skipped the whole learning process of surfing and is....well.... a surf God.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:32 am

Sounds good, miemie, you've come to the right place.
As oldman will tell you, surfing is an extremely complex and technically difficult sport. One's somatotype is crucial in determining the level of proficiency and training to undertake.
Obviously then, first, before going any further, you'll need to post a pic of yur pins.

Standard proceedure, goes a long way toward ascertaining what sorts of positions you'd be best suited for .

ps in your "buddy" query, I'm surprised Norm and Allan didn't pop up.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:27 am

miss amy , these men are only going to take advantage of you! how about you come down south , say to evans head , and oneself will be at your service , will be glad to improve your surfing and have a good stirfry afterwards.

this was bought to you by a wanting the surfing world to be a better place because mie mie is now in it HRH bigwayne

miemie

Post by miemie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:22 am

Hi,

Offshore1: i don't think I have a good picture of me recently lol But I can post pics of the surfboard I'm learning on... my PT said I'm a ecto/meso built, I'm 5'3 tall and 55kg... I'd like to think that I'm quite fit but I need to be more comfortable in the ocean (hence the need for a buddy) and also lots of practising. I think I'm improving on my paddling (a little) but catching a wave in deep water is a lot harder than catching a wave when the water is waist-deep. And I agree that surfing is a lot harder than it looks and the surfing lessons that I paid $30-$55 per session for were purely introductory.

Bigwayne: Thanks for the warning :) Evans head's a little too far for a day trip but I'll let you know when i head south for a road trip or something :)

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 am

There's a guy who pops in here every now and then by the name of Sohar Adam. He usually takes care of the lessons and things like that for beginners. Pretty approachable chap and a true gentleman when it comes to the opposite sex.

He travells a bit, but you might be able to catch him for a few sessions when he's on his way back from Ibiza...

miemie

Post by miemie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks bumfluff :) I think anyone who's interested can pm or email me so I don't have to go around troubling other people :)

Attached is the board I'm learning on 7'6 x 21 x 2(2.5?) .. it's pretty stable but the only problem is that it's huge and hard to control (esp when the water gets choppy) - same annoying feeling when I'm on the softboard
Attachments
227188_214709561880391_100000240462804_781480_5098938_n.jpg
Last edited by miemie on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

miemie

Post by miemie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:44 am

This was the first board that I bought (6'11 x 20 x 2 3/4) but I realised it might be a little too ambitious for a beginner and obviously not so stable. But it is easier to glide through in the water, I'm not so confident cause everywhere I read said to start on a bigger board and I prob did not give it too much of a chance before changing to the larger one. But I might start trying to learn on it again...
Attachments
230688_212591325425548_100000240462804_768150_5367848_n.jpg

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:31 am

In all seriousness though, I can give you some pointers on technique either via private message on this forum or by asking on the open forum for all and sundry to answer. But be warned, some of the crew here will take the p*ss out of you for asking kooky questions, it's just how it is.. :D

PS - sharks don't exist - only in Hollywood.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:50 pm

5'3" ecto/meso is just about perfect miemie. If I were your instructor i'd start by working on your backside technique.
Your boards seem a bit on the big side for a lass of your stature but, a bloke going by the name of 'iggy' would be worth a pm as he's gaga over funshapes..and he's from Queensland and misses it something fierce and is probably looking for an excuse to get out of town..
avoid sohar. at all costs. miemie, like the plague. he's been in the desert too long if you know what i mean. laugh out loud.

is that a boomerang hanging on the wall in your second pic or a huntsman spider ?
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:49 pm

They look like his and hers designs on those boards.
Could be a trap. :evil:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:54 pm

We generally like so see a shot of your lawn when you post pics of your quiver. It can tell a lot about a person.

miemie

Post by miemie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:58 pm

bumfluff: thanks :) I'll pm you when i need some pointers... i think being able to practice in the water (and be comfortable in it) is a key to improving my surfing, and hence the call for the buddy. I do watch surfing videos and read forums and stuff but it's not the same without the practice. I think a lot of other people posted questions on this forum which i can read too... Also I'm renting a townhouse, so no lawn :)

offshore1: I will keep the backside technique in mind, might be a bit ahead of what I can do atm though... someone else told me the boards are a bit big for me, but I started on a 8ft softboard and the 6'11 was selling cheaply so I thought I should try but then later found out that I might be too ambitious and should go on a larger board to start with...I struggle with my balance on the 6'11 but the 7'6 was really stable... btw that's a boomerang on the wall :) could have been a giant huntsman lol

miemie

Post by miemie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:14 pm

bumfluff: Thanks for the pm :) I have no idea how to pm/reply you though... anyway, yes I've been going to currimundi (which has become my fav place atm - was good during low tide) and looks like conditions are good (like what you said) for this weekend :) i agree that it is important to work on techniques

disappointed
Grommet

Post by disappointed » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:40 pm

miemie wrote:i agree that it is important to work on techniques
Your ultimate goal should be achieving this move. The reverse head dip take off with a half brain.
thu049dh6 (Medium).jpg

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 am

If you're coming to the Sunshine coast there's quite a few local girls of varying abilities regularly surfing the Alex-Maroochydore stretch that could become surfing buddies for you.
My oldest daughter's nickname is Meemee as her proper name is Ahmee which is every first born Lisu hilltribe's girls name.
Bit of trivia for you.
Goes without saying I live off good Asian food for free cooked by my wife. :D
Also know another Mimi but that's Elle Mcphersons sister.
Not sure if she's single just in case anyone's curious...I'll have to ask her tomorrow if I remember.
Edit: oops, spelled Elle wrongly. Didn't notice until quoted.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.