Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ledge71
Local

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by ledge71 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 pm

dUg wrote:MP... on the Roy Olo scale about 9 - 15ft. :lol:

Local scale 3 maybe 4ft out the back.
Nice dUg, real nice.
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:26 pm

dUg wrote:
cliffs_anzacday.jpg
I'd kill someone for a bank like that... no, really I would.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm

With the wind blowing hard all night I didn't expect much this morning but arrived to find clean, offshore conditions and overhead sets. Still pretty short period stuff - max 8 seconds but lining up pretty well.
Had about an hour then in a five minute period an easterly squall hit, blowing it out. I went in and in the time it took to shower, put my board in the car and have a quick chat to another guy, it went offshore again.
Yesterday was smaller but did the same thing three times in 90 minutes. :?

What surprised me was that, normally when that happens the conditions don't smooth out again for ages. But the last two days everything went smooth in about 10 minutes.

Anyway, looks like more of the same for the next week.

Wonder what Noosa was like. One of my mates was talking about going up there and didn't arrive at our local this morning so I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm

I've been landlocked. Stuck in a rural centre hell hole without any net coverage or even phone coverage. A bigger hell i have yet to find, though i'm sure i've been close.
The only reprieve that i could find was a croc infested river with a few rapid sections to body surf and bounce along from rock to moss covered basalt crossed sandstone boulder. I managed to close one eye and squint hard through the other and found myself rocking off at burleigh or lennox and then readied myself for the pounding and bouncing ahead of me and the maniacal swim to saftey before being swept into the calm post rapid water where the left over fossils of the jurasic period lay in wait...and no, i'm not talking about you trev.
It wasn't all fun though, i did get to stay a few nights with the mother in law. That was interesting.
Anyway, the week ahead, albeit a shorter more abridged take on a working work, is shaping up to be quite a corker in the surf department. The early and the late will be sure to quench the thirst thats been building and will hopefully bring some joy to my surf starved mind.
Back soon with a report on waves scored and rock-offs negotiated without the rapid and croc run, though i think i may have had found a great new flat day pursuit

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:55 am

Pretty good this morning. Clean, long lines and some size. I had 3 hours. Getting back in through the shorebreak was a test. In the time I was out, the best part of 2' of sand disappeared from in front of the rock wall and steps. Actually down to the coffee rock which I didn't know we had there.
Got some nice waves but local surfer Col (Thornie) blitzed everyone with two barrels straight off the bat.
An awful lot of shortboards out in what everyone reckons is a mal wave. :twisted:
Shame it's a long weekend. :roll:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:32 am

What size was it there this morning Trev?

Was thinking about joining you one particular day over the long weekend, although I'm not liking the sound of the crowd factor there today!!! :(

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 pm

pm sent. 8)
Beanpole

Skipper

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Surfed 4ft Kirra this morning with South wind, was pretty good. Burleigh and Snapper also looked good. How mad is that sweep at Kirra? :D

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:29 pm

bumfluff wrote:Surfed 4ft Kirra this morning with South wind, was pretty good. Burleigh and Snapper also looked good. How mad is that sweep at Kirra? :D
did you use tropical wax or warm water wax ?
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Get rooted troll :D

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun May 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Today was probably the best surf I've had this year (yesterday was the second best).
Today I had my best wave of the year - and my worst wipeout of the year. No, not the same wave, although the wipeout was at the end of a ride.
Great carving turns, still overhead when I pulled off in the channel.
Then I got cocky and on the next wave decided I was gonna get covered up on the inside section which responded by blasting me off my board. Did the human cannonball thing and landed on my shoulder. :twisted:
Of course no one was watching the good wave; three spectators for the wipeout. :roll: They reckon I was only about 3' from making it out. :oops:
Was still stretching my neck when one of the guys stopped laughing long enough to tell me he gets all sorts of aches and pains after surfing and his wife is always telling him he's too old for this sport. I figured him for between 15 and 20 years younger than I am. :lol:

Anyway, great stuff.

There must be waves all up and down the beaches this weekend.

Hope you're getting some up there in the islands Mick. 8) Pete was fairly ripping today. Best I've ever seen him riding.
Beanpole

Skipper

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun May 01, 2011 8:45 pm

yes goat....waves up and down 8)

our banks remain shit....but i have hope things might change after this swell :idea:

the points are packed.....t - tree 1 ft...600 out

wierdly....increasingly...the inside points of little cove and main....have bigger better waves :shock:

hows that work :?

surfed the rivermouth with the streets kids....good see them paddle into something semi decent and love it

they may end up surfers one day...u never know :wink:

p.s have finally got my daughter off the quad fad....put my big cetre thruster fin....kept her small quads fins in front....

it's been a battle...her board is set up with all the options fin wise....but dad don't know shit

( not one push em....they cop enough on land from adults....the water is a freedom....for everyone :idea: )

paddleing back from her first wave....jurys in...." I LOVE THRUSTERS DAD>>>NEVER GOING BACK QUADS"

p.p.s shes got more a bonzer set up :mrgreen:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Hey Trev, getting some waves up here but I would doubt if it's as good as you're getting. Don't let those young fellas get to you mate, I'll be glad to be surfing as good as you when I'm "YOUR" age!

A few pics attached of today. Three to four with the standard clean up sets coming through although the swell was coming for a funny angle and doing the horse shoe thing, as the tide hit dead low we got a little step near the take-off zone (like Shipstearns just 2M smaller) which is right over a big bombie that made for some entertainment. Anyway, 3 of us out enjoying the stoke after a big week in the heat.
Attachments
DSC_2111.jpg
Notice the insect control methods we use on these tropical islands!
DSC_2066.jpg
DSC_2132.jpg
DSC_2395.jpg
What a view!
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon May 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Rainbow, Greenmount through to Cooly yesterday 3-4 foot. Yesterday arvo was less crowded ad the arvo was pretty offshore as was the whole day. Crowds were ok yesterday - but today public holiday in Qld and the swell finally kicked in and was 4-6 and just classic. As was the sweep and the crowds. I see Shearer was hitting the Ox at 6-8 so I'm guessing all over there are folks with sore paddling arms today - but what a day :D :D :D

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon May 02, 2011 6:23 pm

my local point 2 days in a row at the right tide, one can only hope for favourable winds tommorow, scored yaroomba, bit straight but nice to pull into, reminded me why I surf, great 2 days of surfing with morning and afternoon sessions, morning at yaroomba and arvo at my point, been waiting so long for that to break big and good
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Jorgo wrote:Rainbow, Greenmount through to Cooly yesterday 3-4 foot. Yesterday arvo was less crowded ad the arvo was pretty offshore as was the whole day. Crowds were ok yesterday - but today public holiday in Qld and the swell finally kicked in and was 4-6 and just classic. As was the sweep and the crowds. I see Shearer was hitting the Ox at 6-8 so I'm guessing all over there are folks with sore paddling arms today - but what a day :D :D :D
4-6 ft? Was it really that big? (not trying to start another war about wave size just curios)

brownhornet
Grommet

Post by brownhornet » Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Spent. Totally spent
Thursday - Perfect
Friday - Smaller : linking nicely
Saturday - 2 surfs all became a blur.
Sunday - 2 more very sore shoulders after so much paddling - perfect
Monday - Morning beauty. Smaller but linking beautifully : Afternoon outta control size
Tues - I reckon there is one more pre-work

Quality never dropped over 5 days, offshore Wind SW.Crowds. No issues. 3-6ft. Haven't caught a left-hander the whole time. Best stretch of surf I remember since 2007 Pasha Bulka ordeal that sent waves at the coast over weeks (but not non-stop). I'm in love!

God it is great living in an area with no crowds. Like being on the best surf trip ever if it wasn't for the fact I had to work after all the surfing. Bed in 5mins for one last early. Wife not happy!

Rico

Post by Rico » Mon May 02, 2011 9:28 pm

yeah that sweep on the goldie was legendary today, took me half way from burleigh to broadbeach :lol: some giant sets coming through but pretty fat on the exposed beaches, barreling on the points.