Just in case someone didn't get it yet . . . .

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: Just in case someone didn't get it yet . . . .

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:05 am

dinosaur wrote:Im just digging his vibe for some reason. Although I find most his claims preposterous. I'm happy to buy a ticket for a ride on the Roy bus. Shine on you crazy poo shaped diamond.
Absolutely. I'm with Roy, you're carving them up here. (pun :oops:
Roy's stuff is just brilliant woodcraft. IIRC, the apparent expert who found great flaws in his woodwork wasn't actually an expert at all, just another screen jockey who had never put plane to plank.

If you don't get it, just lob in with a quick comment along the lines of 'I don't get it.' I won't think any less of you. :mrgreen:

I'm glad TrevG is enjoying woolly's writing. It's good that someone on this planet is on the same wavelength as woolly. Me, I'd rather be aligned with Roy on this one.

The price of $528k is the price that he puts on it. If you have ever made something by hand you get to put a price on it. That's the way it works.

In any case, current marketing theory shows that this is exactly the way that high end marketing works. You put a $200k handbag in the Louis Vuitton shops, and the darlings from Double Bay look at the $20k handbag and think "What a bargain." Are you guys sure that Roy isn't playing you off a break.

Long live the eccentric from NZ. I don't know what you are adding to society Roy, but the world needs more eccentrics, and craftsman.

Screen jockeys, well, we've got an abundance of them. :lol: :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 am

Hatchman wrote:^^

And 20 kilos for a surfboard?? You've gotta be fcuking kidding! If you wore a rope it'd rip your leg off in even average surf. Imagine losing one of them at a reef a decent way out to sea
You might like a nice hot cup of harden the F*ck up :|

We lightened the new one up by 10 pounds already, just for the weaker types.

Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:25 am

oldman wrote:
dinosaur wrote:Im just digging his vibe for some reason. Although I find most his claims preposterous. I'm happy to buy a ticket for a ride on the Roy bus. Shine on you crazy poo shaped diamond.
Absolutely. I'm with Roy, you're carving them up here. (pun :oops:
Roy's stuff is just brilliant woodcraft. IIRC, the apparent expert who found great flaws in his woodwork wasn't actually an expert at all, just another screen jockey who had never put plane to plank.

If you don't get it, just lob in with a quick comment along the lines of 'I don't get it.' I won't think any less of you. :mrgreen:

I'm glad TrevG is enjoying woolly's writing. It's good that someone on this planet is on the same wavelength as woolly. Me, I'd rather be aligned with Roy on this one.

The price of $528k is the price that he puts on it. If you have ever made something by hand you get to put a price on it. That's the way it works.

In any case, current marketing theory shows that this is exactly the way that high end marketing works. You put a $200k handbag in the Louis Vuitton shops, and the darlings from Double Bay look at the $20k handbag and think "What a bargain." Are you guys sure that Roy isn't playing you off a break.

Long live the eccentric from NZ. I don't know what you are adding to society Roy, but the world needs more eccentrics, and craftsman.

Screen jockeys, well, we've got an abundance of them. :lol: :lol:

Cheers Oldman, that's pretty much the way we are playing it.

Got an interesting offer last week of a pair of ultra high end .45 cal semi auto handguns brand new with tooled leather holsters as a trade.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 am

^^^^

I'm sure Roy has already figured they are no good and that a wooden gun that weighs ten times their weight, resembles a howitzer, can't fire a shot in a straight line and takes 10 minutes to reload is a far better design and worth $528,000 for his troubles as well.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:59 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:Also I'm not aiming to have the majority of people riding my boards, although some influence on mainstream surfboard types is inevitable ( it's already happening btw )
I remember you saying that you had built some smaller versions of your boards, around the 5'11" - 6'0" range with the tunnel fin. They sound more like something that these guys could identify with, why not bring a few of those out at as well?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:14 pm

So checking back, i see there is no evidence to support that those giant board are good in the surf. Obviously they are well made and look good. But they are to be hung in someones pool room or den. Not for surfing.

In the quest to make a buck, 3ft waves become 8ft waves, trimming = turns. Fcuken hell.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:32 pm

Roys boards are destined more for the corporate boardroom than the ocean just like footy memorabilia, artwork and the odd boutique plant.

Probably a good thing really, those driftwood planks are liable to kill someone in anything over 3 foot surf, even he can barely stay upright in 2 foot slop :lol:
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:47 pm

I think the goal is to sell one. Just one. Heck, the money is enough to self-sustain yourself silly for the rest of your sarong-wearing life. I hope you sell one Roy.

Roy can't get into slinging matches over the details of surfability; either because he truly believes (I'm not judging here) what he says, and you guys just don't get it, never will get it, and therefore there's not much point, or; He doesn't need flapping holes in his workmanship to scare off punters. Publicity is good publicity, until it threatens your half-mil-plus-change. Woolly has the appropriate market sussed; the ultra-cashed up tools who are looking for a bigger out-there to remove themselves from the second-gen cashed-up stand-up paddler movement. Roy needs just one of these fine folk to be trawling the internet for a digital surf community to whisper out a reference to a savant living out there in the hills creating pure surfing nirvana. Just one - the first one - will be all it takes; Roy will be off, scarpering into the hills hooting with joy; he'll be set for life.

Roy, I just hope you will not have too many hands grabbing at your cash once it's in your hand. I'd love to know how you go once cashed-up yourself. Just promise us all that it will not be the ruin of you.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Coops@DY wrote:So checking back, i see there is no evidence to support that those giant board are good in the surf. Obviously they are well made and look good. But they are to be hung in someones pool room or den. Not for surfing.

In the quest to make a buck, 3ft waves become 8ft waves, trimming = turns. Fcuken hell.
They are excellent in the surf and every aspect of their design is functional, design wise I never do anything for show.

Regarding wave size, it has nothing to do with money. A foot is a foot no matter how much you want it to be something else. I'm just measuring waves in actual feet. Doing otherwise makes it impossible to do correct calculations of wave power.

Regarding trimming equaling turning. It does. When a board is in trim the fins experience a positive angle of attack and the board is using one rail. . . the board is thus in a perpetual turn. That's just physics.

The argument here is betweeen reality and physics on my side and knee jerk social posturing on the other. . . we all know which one has the higher ground.
'

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Hatchman wrote:
Roys boards are destined more for the corporate boardroom than the ocean just like footy memorabilia, artwork and the odd boutique plant.
They are highly functional surfboards which are light years ahead of the current state of longboard design.

'

those driftwood planks are liable to kill someone in anything over 3 foot surf
The boards have superb control capabilities, they go better and better as the waves increase in size, I've ridden them many times in waves up to 20ft plus and have an excellent safety record on them.

even he can barely stay upright in 2 foot slop :lol:
Here you are just utterly and completely full of sh*t.

My main aims when surfing are a) to make the wave and b) to never fall off. I almost never lose my board. That is partly due to my surfing focus and skill, and partly due to the excellent anomaly free design of the boards.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Toby wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:
Regarding trimming equaling turning. It does. When a board is in trim the fins experience a positive angle of attack and the board is using one rail. . . the board is thus in a perpetual turn. That's just physics.

Absolute rubbish! You might want to revisit those physics books.
It's 100% correct.

A board in trim surfs on one rail and the fins experience a positive angle of attack, thus from a flow point of view the board is turning.

You can't change that just because you don't like it, and only an idiot would try to deny it.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Dae wrote:I think the goal is to sell one. Just one. Heck, the money is enough to self-sustain yourself silly for the rest of your sarong-wearing life. I hope you sell one Roy.

Roy can't get into slinging matches over the details of surfability; either because he truly believes (I'm not judging here) what he says, and you guys just don't get it, never will get it, and therefore there's not much point, or; He doesn't need flapping holes in his workmanship to scare off punters. Publicity is good publicity, until it threatens your half-mil-plus-change. Woolly has the appropriate market sussed; the ultra-cashed up tools who are looking for a bigger out-there to remove themselves from the second-gen cashed-up stand-up paddler movement. Roy needs just one of these fine folk to be trawling the internet for a digital surf community to whisper out a reference to a savant living out there in the hills creating pure surfing nirvana. Just one - the first one - will be all it takes; Roy will be off, scarpering into the hills hooting with joy; he'll be set for life.

Roy, I just hope you will not have too many hands grabbing at your cash once it's in your hand. I'd love to know how you go once cashed-up yourself. Just promise us all that it will not be the ruin of you.
Thanks for the good wishes.

Sales wise if one is sold at the big price then more will sell, so although we look forward to selling one we also look forawrd to selling many.

A quiver is the ideal way to enjoy these boards, so selling quivers is also a goal.

Regarding the functional capability of the boards I know what I'm talking about and do discuss it with naysayers, I'm not scared of what they say publicity wise but do prefer to correct their misconceptions when I have the time.

:D

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Sweet jesus. You could buy your own island for the price of a quiver.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:23 pm

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.