Packing List for Samoa

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

J-P

Packing List for Samoa

Post by J-P » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:22 am

Leaving for Samoa (Savaii) on Wednesday and staying at a surf camp in Aganoa.
Can anyone suggest what I need to take?
I was thinking a board and maybe a towel. 8)

In all seriousness, do I need to take a first aid kit?
Imodium?
Betadine? I've been told Betadine is a bad idea as it actually helps coral grow in cuts?

Thanks for the suggestions in advance! :D

BDL77
regular

Re: Packing List for Samoa

Post by BDL77 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:49 am

I was there a few months before the earthquake disaster with my wife and 10 month old son and we didn't take any meds other than the very basics. Saying that we were staying at Sa'Moana surf camp and they have everything. Aganoa is more rustic from what I've heard so a travel first aid kit would be a good idea. Also not sure how things are going in the aftermath of the quake.

Fantastic people, we will be going back.

On my third day I got pitched and slammed into the reef which left me with a fantastic tiger claw reef scratch across my back and a broken toe. The camp had everything to sort my back out and I simply strapped my toes together and surfed for the next 5 days. :D

Very jealous, bl00dy amazing place, have fun.
01.jpg
02.jpg
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:58 am

Sorry forgot to mention - take a 3 board quiver if you can.

I took:
6'1 x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8 - Mackie Twin fin too play with and test in good solid waves;
6'3 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/2 - Hayden blackcat round tail
6'6 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/2 - Merrick MSG rounded pin (my bread and butter board for most of the trip)

If I went again I would bring a step up gun from the 6'6.
- Gerry Lopez

Toby Wan
regular

Post by Toby Wan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 am

stayed there 3 years ago and they drove us around to the other breaks if neither the right or left were working...

other than surfing essentials, take some snorkelling gear or other things to pass the time - the breaks are 100% tide dependent, so in between there were big chunks of time..

also think about taking some extra food/snacks.. was pretty average when we were there.. they do well with what they can get, but seeing as its the less populated island, the supplies they get at the market are pretty limited or poor quality.

J-P

Post by J-P » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:55 am

I'm staying for 15 days so HOPEFULLY we should have some good surf while we're there.
I've got four boards that I was thinking of taking.
3 shorties - 2 6'2's and a 6'4" + a little 5'9" fish.

Is that too many boards? Will I have the oportunity to use the fish?
We're 'hiring' a car so travel shouldn't be a problem. I was hoping to be surfing all day, everyday.
Is that not a realistic possibilty considering tides and the likes even with access to a car?

Helpful info fellas! Appreciate your comments.
Keep them coming! :D

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:05 pm

If you can carry em, then take em. You can never have too many boards. :D

Plenty of surf options for a fish.
- Gerry Lopez

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:09 pm

take crud loads of panadol, peroxide for reef rash, somethin for ya guts, suncreen, zinc, stuff to give local kids.

have fun

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:00 pm

------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:31 pm

if u r hiring a car ,go to blue pacific car rentals. they are on the road as u come into apia. we paid about 600 for 7days and got a 4wd hyundai tucson. they have good cars and more important good tyres. ive been over before and hired a car elsewhere and got 2 flats in 2 days.!
u can get a map for savaii at a site called surfmaps. costs 5 bucks. i did get it a while back, its not to bad. tryed to find it for you but must of deleted it.
print a tide chart off for the weeks u r away. go to www.bom.gov.au look for pacific islands tides.
if any of you been watching survivor, the foafoa camp was set up right in front of one of the best waves in the islands... :wink:
surfline do a good chart for swell size/period/direction. it changed last year so u can only see the coming 3 days unless u subscribe. but if u got internet access, id check it out. remember u got 2 coasts to surf. while i was over there i found the forecasts to be quite accurate. but u need to have an understanding of how to decipher the info presented to u.
bdl77..those pics of pebbles? if not then thet gotta be pasales(wakas)
south coast of upolu is farked still. i seriously looked into going over to help the rebuild. trouble is u have to pay 1200 for a week. my prob is i got a huge mortgage and a family to feed, so its not feasible.ive also had a few bad injuries to get over.. if someone said theyd pay my way, id be straight over. its farked how the relief aid works. surely in a coutrty like that, where 100s of millions of aid is being donated, they could allocate say 10 mill to cover the costs of tradies and their tools gettin over there? :idea: ive been keeping a close eye on the place and they are just not gettin houses buil, meanwhile families are livin under tarpaulins. they are rebuilding 500 homes costing 10k each. now thats only 5 mill. they have received 200 odd mill in aid. i understand the infrastructure costs, but cmon, where is the rest of the dough.?
samoans are wonderful people and its a beautiful place. havent been to savaii yet, but they reckon its the better island, and better waves...
let us know how your trip goes when u get back.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:39 pm

just put lemon or lime on the reef cuts, champ. works a treat, seriously. stings but :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:08 pm

thats a few boards...I try to take less boards when I travel, maybe 1 coffin with 3 or 4 max....never do I take 2 the same size, I prefer to cover all possible surf conditions likely....something for smallish fun waves, something for 3-6 good waves and one for the serious stuff...bey hey , thats just me and I hate carrying shite thru airports and into taxis and busses and boats.....and paying for it too...Enjoy the trip..... 8)

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Coops@DY wrote:Image
Fcuk thats funny Coops, when does Ringmaster want it back? I think he is going "camping" with his pot smoking "buddies" soon.

Toby Wan
regular

Post by Toby Wan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:45 pm

on another note, the aganoa camp owner - aussie dude (forget his name) - is pretty damn helpful with sussing out where is and isn't working..

just have a chat and i'm sure he'll help you out.. if the waves out front are working pretty good, then you prolly won't want to go anywhere else anyway..

ask him about middles or the point as well, think its his favourite break and is an unbelievably long left - about an hour or so SW of Aganoa

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:26 pm

id say also pack a set of good sized testicles and a gun, next friday could be looking the goods with a solid north swell and se trades. and at this stage it looks like no shortage of swell after that for both sides of the island....

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:24 pm

howd the trip go JP?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Yep, would love to hear anything you have to say about the trip.

Is it something you could take the family away on, 2 kids in tweenies years, snorkelling and fishing would be fun for them,

or purely a boys own adventure?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

J-P

Post by J-P » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58 pm

The trip was good. Very good. :D

Not really a place to take kids as there isn't a lot to keep them entertained and the accommodation is very basic (but VERY good).
Maybe it's different on Upolu. I spent the whole time on Savaii though.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:21 pm

whered u surf, and how was it? is the peak out front as good as it looks? ive sussed acom there, just wanna know bout the waves!