Vego Surfers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bonusbeats
Local

Re: Vego Surfers

Post by bonusbeats » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 pm

so what animals have people whacked?

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:40 pm

I've been a veg for over 40 years. I used to have a reason. Then I learnt that it embarrassed others. I pulled my head in and found a way to eat around any menu and still retain my vegetarianism. If it walks, runs, crawls, flies, slithers or climbs then I don't eat it. Over the last 20 years I have eaten things that swim. Of late, I have decided that is not OK. What one eats is a personal thing. It is like one's belief system. I think your's is bullshit, you think mine is bullshit ... but I'd rather have a beer with you and embrace what brings us together than argue about things that we will never agree upon, even if you are wrong.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:41 am

it was a drag being vego when i was a kid. other kids were always wanting to argue and prove i was wrong, and sometimes they even wanted to hold me down and shove meat in my mouth. it riled a lot of people. by the age of 10 or 12 i'd learned to lay low as a vego. now it's just a joke, like everything else.

peterb
Grommet

Post by peterb » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:45 am

I can also assure you my lentil chickpea curry would beat the living crap out of your charcoal covered steak
Last edited by yomutha on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total. yomutha

ok...lets have the recipe

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 am

I love vegetarian food... it goes well with steak!
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:04 am

peterb wrote:I can also assure you my lentil chickpea curry would beat the living crap out of your charcoal covered steak
Last edited by yomutha on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total. yomutha

ok...lets have the recipe
I've got one.

Ingredients:
220gms of red lentils
1 Onion chopped
1 large ripe tomato chopped (use two if you like)
2 cups of water
1 and 1/4 cups of coconut milk
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp black peppercorn seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 clove
1 tsp garam masala (I always make my own but you can use the shop bought one)

Method

Grind seeds, clove and spices in a mortar and pestle, add the garlic and grind into a paste.

Add all ingredients to a pot in one go, including the spice paste, bring to the boil and then simmer for approx 30 minutes or until lentils are soft. You may need to add more water so keep that in mind.

DON'T use cumin or coriander powder, it has nowhere near the flavour of freshly ground seeds.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

peterb
Grommet

Post by peterb » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:33 am

thanks...will give it a go

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Yeh mines nearly the same as yours Hatchman

2 onions
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tbs oil
1/2 tspn chilli powder (add more if you like it hot)
1/2 tspn tumeric
1/2 tspn paprika (bit more if you like it hot)
3/4 tbs cumin seeds
3/4 tbs coriander
400g can red lentils
400g chickpeas
400g crushed tomatoes
1 tspn garam masala
Bit of salt
You can add some coconut milk if ya want as well

Chop onions. Crush garlic. Heat oil in pan. Heat onions and garlic til soft

Add chilli powder, tumeric, paprika, cumin, coriander and salt. Stir and heat for a couple of minutes

Add chickpeas, lentils and tomatoes (if you chopped em up, try and keep as much juice as you can. Much easier if you just buy a can of crushed tomatoes). Simmer covered for 20 minutes. Stir in garam masala. Simmer for another 10 minutes.

Serve with chapattis or Naan bread! Serves 4 people

Hmmmmmmmmm

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm

I'd like to try and eat less red meat, I think I'll substitute one red meat dish a week with fish.

As for vegetables, I love em, but find that serving them in new and delicious ways can be a hassle and if you just stick to, fresh/raw, steamed or wok'd they can get boring pretty quick.

May have to try that recipe out.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Mmmmmmm, curries, baba ganoush, hummous,guacamole and all the other sauces people use to cover the taste of meat! Lentils and Beans Nachos Vegetable are only boring if your cooking is boring if you are a vego who eats meat and three veges without meat you will get sick, if you eat only meat you will get sick. I played high level rugby as a vego only ate meat in the scrums as every good front rower should! 40m years now.
Strange thing though people think a vego doesn't drink alcohol, beer and wine are vegetable products yeah!!!!!
One torture is my local break has NE offshore straight across a BBQ caramelized onion smell wafts through the break promoting severe munchies after getting out.
Sixty and still surfing Jaffa
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:30 pm

this is not some crunchy hippy book full of lentil burger recipes -- it's just the best complete book for cooking vegetables.

deborah madison 'vegetarian cooking for everyone'

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Cookin ... 765&sr=8-1

CaptKooK
Grommet

Post by CaptKooK » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:05 pm

A good way to get the vego message across is to first get the person you are arguing with to watch a doco called 'Earthlings' its free on the net.
People like to say 'each to their own' which I think is cool if your not killing anything. Say I kill your dog and put it on the barby and I'm like 'each to their own, animals are here for us to eat'

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 pm

What you eat is up to you but i have to say that vegetarian meals, and iv eaten heaps of em, are a bit like chinese food: one hour after eating i'm fricken starving again. And farting like a night on tooheys new.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

CaptKooK
Grommet

Post by CaptKooK » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:02 pm

maybe not much protein in the meals you've been having. A big part of the vego thing is about not just thinking about yourself, compare your gas problem with what's going down in those factory farms that are so well hidden.

On the subject of gas, the methane from cattle is about 30 times as bad as Co2 for the environment.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Well i used to hang with a bunch of Seventh day Adventists and im pretty sure they are all vegos and they know how to make a decent feed. Personally, im more into not eating anything in a packet or tin, or anything with presevatives or colouring etc. rather than whether it walks on the ground or grows from it.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

CaptKooK
Grommet

Post by CaptKooK » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:18 pm

cool, you should check out 'Earthlings' on google video, definite eye opener!

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:20 pm

While we're talking about CH4 with cattle; they contribute 15% to the amount of methane in our atmosphere!

Also, it takes 17 kilos of corn, grains etc to produce 1 kilo of beef, economically speaking. Also producing 1 kilo of beef uses 100,000 to 200,000 litres of water, depending on conditions.

Yep, eating meat doesn't affect the environment/economics at all...

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:34 pm

That Earthlings movie is also extremely good.

http://video.google.com.au/videosearch? ... full&src=3

I love the term "speciesism". Humans really are specieist...