shark fatality @ Ballina

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mad
charger

shark fatality @ Ballina

Post by mad » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 am

Had a lot of sightings, near misses and nibbles lately, but the man in grey suit struck big time this am. Heard it on the radio and its just happened so light on for details;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... northcoast

A 16-year-old boy has been killed by a shark on the New South Wales north coast.

Regional lifeguard co-ordinator Steven Leahy says the boy was attacked at Lighthouse Beach in Ballina.

He is believed to have suffered serious leg injuries.

No further details are available at this stage.

Keep a low profile Merks

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:54 am

That's really sad :cry:

And only 16 as well :cry:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:56 am

To be expected as the mullet are on their spawning run, muddy rivers driving them out into cleaner water, the earliest run for some years, ask Fong.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:07 am

^^^^^^^^^ The gar are on as well purt, which is bringing in the tuna. Chatting to a mate in the waves this am and he's going fishing in the river for tuna chasing gar near the walls (Clarence R.) soon as he drops off the sprogs at school. Tailor started their run as well.

Been cloudy and dark skies which tends to create an eerie feeling in the water as well. I've had a weird feeling in my gut for the last few weeks in the surf, which I've just brushed off as paranoia :shock:

sir_fur71
regular

Post by sir_fur71 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:13 am

Yeah, sad story. Poor bloke, what a nasty way to go.

I grew up at Ballina and saw a lot of sharks around North and South Wall, when the mullet and taylor are around (as mentioned above) and also in general as there is always food for them at river mouths. The sharks tend to round the fish into the corners of the beaches, breakwalls and headlands are great for cornering prey, you don't want to get caught up in that.

Not sure if this kid was a boogie boarder? They said it bit his leg. 3 boogie boarders have been taken in recent years at Ballina, maybe they look more like food? Turtles perhaps?

Brings up the old arguement of whether we hunt them down or not? As sad as it is, the sharks are just doing their day to day thing to survive and unfortunatey by being in the water it makes up possible prey.... Still sad and scary when it happens.

My sympathies go out to the family and friends of the victim. I can't imagine how they feel.....

spongeInside
Local

Post by spongeInside » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:14 am

damn.. that's some bad news. Poor kid and family.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:20 am

That is bad news and there are bait and surface fish everywhere up and down the coast at the moment so the sharks would never be too far away.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:40 am

You just dont expect it to happen to yourself. Poor kid

mad
charger

Post by mad » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:47 am

Bit of an update from the ABC website (posted the link above), there's some audio as well. Ball's had some big rains over the last couple of days;

A 16-year-old boy has been killed by a shark on the New South Wales north coast.

Surf Lifesaving NSW says the boy was bodyboarding with a friend at Ballina's Lighthouse Beach just after 8:00am (AEST), when a shark bit him on the upper leg.

Spokesman Craig Roberts says the teenager's friend had to swim him into shore from the popular North Wall surf break.

"When lifeguards attended the scene, as you can imagine, it was quite a stressful situation," he said.

"He was unconscious and the lifeguards and ambulance officers had some severe haemorrhaging to deal with."

Ambulance spokesman Patrick Cantwell says paramedics arrived at the beach around 8:30am, about 15 minutes after they were called by a member of the public.

"Tragically, when our paramedics arrived on the scene, the male had died," he said.

Conditions treacherous

Regional lifeguard coordinator Steven Leahy says conditions are treacherous at the site of the attack, just north of the Richmond River estuary.

"We've had lots and lots of rain over the last 24 hours and the water is dirty and murky," he said.

"It's one of the things that we would always say, 'That's not a good time to go swimming'."

Mr Leahy says poor visibility has ruled out any search at this stage.

"Unfortunately, while we would like to get out on the water and up in the air looking for sharks, the weather is absolutely abysmal and that prevents that," he said.

"So as a safety precaution, I've closed all the beaches in the Ballina Shire."

'Big shock'

The surf lifesaving duty officer for the far north coast, Gary Meredith, says there were only two people in the water at the time of the attack.

Mr Meredith says the event is devastating for the local community and there is a sense of disbelief on the beach.

"It's a big shock," he said. "We're just trying to get through it this morning."

He says sharks have not been seen in the area in recent months.

"Like most spots along the north coast, in probably the last six to 12 months we've had a few sightings of sharks, but it's been nothing to be too concerned about," he said.

"We've had to close beaches for short periods of time until the sharks that have been sighted have gone through, but for the later part of our surf season, we haven't seen many sharks at all around this area."

It is not known what sort of shark attacked the teenager.

Police are investigating the attack.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Kill em all! before they kill us!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:05 pm

That really is terrible, poor family will be devastated.

Wake up call for all of us to have a few first aid skills in reserve for this kinda moment, 'cause you never know.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:That really is terrible, poor family will be devastated.

Wake up call for all of us to have a few first aid skills in reserve for this kinda moment, 'cause you never know.
I concur.

Looks like a case of mistaken identity again which many shark attacks seem to be as it doesn't appear that he was bitten repeatedly.

Based on other posters comments it looks like the classic shark attack danger signs were present such as being near an estuary, baitfish around, overcast and murky.

Those bullsharks/whalers seem to be the nastiest and most dangerous around NSW.

A bigger board probably increases the protection too as a mal is much harder to chomp through than a boogieboard..... no smart comments thanks "smmntl".

My condolences to the family.

Plop

Post by Plop » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 pm

Edited as not appropriate given the circumstances.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:35 pm

I'll go first ... plop, you're a complete f'ckwit ....

spongeInside
Local

Post by spongeInside » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 pm

tomtom wrote:
Plop wrote:Edited as not appropriate given the circumstances.
Plop.... Isn't that the sound that's made when your shit hits the water?
:lol: :lol:

in his case, it was probably the sound that was made as his mum shot him out of her burger like a cheap ping-pong ball.. obviously doing damage to his head at the same time

ferdy
Grommet

Post by ferdy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:51 pm

hmm the mullet were running. That is prime time for shark attacks.
They are just going for anything that moves.
I got hit by a bronze whaler years ago at Seal Rocks when the mullet were running. it is a very dangerous time of year for surfing..

If you have ever seen a school of mullet on the beach you will see sharks and kingies and whatever just hitting the school..

anyway... rip to the young bloke..
and best wishes to family and friends..

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Plop wrote:Edited as not appropriate given the circumstances.
Plop if that poor guy was a member of my family or close friend I'd either;

1. Ram a baseball bat up your a.rse so hard it would "plop" out through your stomach on the other side.

2. Pay some huge homosexual HIV ++ bears to triple fcukyou so hard the blood , guts and semen would slowly "plop" "plop" "plop" out of your bludgeoned anus.

Just a thought you stupid insensitive cnut. :evil:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:16 pm

POPCORN!!! someone get me some popcorn!!!