eh!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

wanto
barnacle

eh!

Post by wanto » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:09 am

:x

describe what would happen if this went on at your local:

womble123

Post by womble123 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:12 am

It bloody well is (well close enough anyway) - normally surf at the Point! And it can be damn frustrating - at least Mark is making some money from it I suppose...

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:15 am

That's a big swim school isn't it wanto.

If it was at my local I would probably laugh and then paddle out pretty much where I intended anyway.

While they are a nuisance they usually don't venture out to the unbroken waves. Certainly I never see them attacking anything other than white water.

So I would handle it the same as I handle all crowds. Pretend they aren't there.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:56 am

what happens after graduation? kook plague!

look at manly, the original surf school zone.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Re: eh!

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:10 am

wanto wrote:describe what would happen if this went on at your local:
I'd shrug my shoulders and think ..."eh, just another day"... :cry:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:34 am

wanto wrote:what happens after graduation? kook plague!

look at manly, the original surf school zone.
I'm not sure that there are that many who graduate wanto. I suspect the surf schools cater for those who want to be able to say that they have done it, and do it without killing themselves or anyone else.

With all the surf schools that are around, I'm not sure that there are more surfers because of them, if you know what I mean.

ether
regular

Post by ether » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:54 am

happens everyday at mine & i find them pretty harmless. i've never found myself surfing near a bunch of schoolies, so i guess the instructors do a pretty good job of keeping them away.

and graduation? well, at least you get people paddling out with some sort of a clue as to what's going on. they're probly going to go anyway.

can't say i'm thrilled with the pic though... :?

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:they were at Longy yesterday morning, .
so was I ..... does that mean ..... :oops:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:37 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:they were at Longy yesterday morning, nothing new, seems when the wind is out of the northern quadrant all the operators switch to Longy on the autopilot.
Think there is a dedicated Longy school as well RRRRon, part of MG’s Manly Surf School

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:49 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:Are telling me Wanto that they never roll out at Avalon?

That tells me two things: either you have finally put that fence up, or, it really is different down in that funky little enclave.
The council only issues surf school permits at Newport and Palm Beach.

Avalon is reserved for the local Surfing Pensioners' Society.

Did a bunch of follow up studies on surf school graduates a couple of years ago that indicates an ongoing commitment to surfing is only made by around 5% of graduates. That may have changed in the meantime, but I doubt it.

It still doesn't explain bodyboarding.

cousteau
regular

Post by cousteau » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:15 pm

... ironically although places like Manly have such massively overpopulated lineups full of backpackers and surf schools, everytime I go for a wave there you can pretty much get any wave you want, where as back up at my Peninsula locals i'm fighting for every bloody wave with ten people in the water!

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:54 pm

cousteau wrote:... ironically although places like Manly have such massively overpopulated lineups full of backpackers and surf schools, everytime I go for a wave there you can pretty much get any wave you want, where as back up at my Peninsula locals i'm fighting for every bloody wave with ten people in the water!
the average standard of surfer is usually higher at a place like av compared to manly..

cousteau
regular

Post by cousteau » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:08 pm

stoive wrote:
cousteau wrote:... ironically although places like Manly have such massively overpopulated lineups full of backpackers and surf schools, everytime I go for a wave there you can pretty much get any wave you want, where as back up at my Peninsula locals i'm fighting for every bloody wave with ten people in the water!
the average standard of surfer is usually higher at a place like av compared to manly..
...ahhh of course :roll:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:36 pm

I'd still be in police custody

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:they were at Longy yesterday morning, nothing new, seems when the wind is out of the northern quadrant all the operators switch to Longy on the autopilot. They flail about harmlessly on the tidal flat in front of the lagoon, out of harms way...
... then dry up the beach, so it's usually okay to go out after that :wink: .

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:08 pm

stoive wrote:
You trying to bag a root mate? :lol:

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:13 pm

stoive wrote:
nup.
there are more kooks down at manly, that doesnt mean that more god surfers come out of that end of the nth beaches, just that more shit ones come out of the bottom :lol:

central coast has a bunch of great surfers.
some of the kids here fucken tear.
im not one of them

poostance
Grommet

Post by poostance » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:50 pm

see it all the time out front of mine at miami on the goldie. they dont go past waist high, so overall pretty harmless.
Nick Carroll wrote: Did a bunch of follow up studies on surf school graduates a couple of years ago that indicates an ongoing commitment to surfing is only made by around 5% of graduates. That may have changed in the meantime, but I doubt it.
i agree most wont stick with it. big difference between standing up in whitewash, and taking a drop on an unbroken wave.. let alone paddling out + paddling into the thing.

its actually pretty fun watching people stand up for the first time and seeing the stoke in their face