swimming to shore in big surf

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mondo
Grommet

swimming to shore in big surf

Post by mondo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:25 am

what are you guys experiences of having to swim into shore after snapping a leggie in big surf. im sometimes more concerned about that then getting held down in big surf. what advice do you guys have?
No fins, heavy impact zone that has a strong suck out. Or big onshore rippy days. Breaks a long way from shore that have a big dead zone with strong cross currents between you and the beach. do you guys prefer swimming through the foam? or zig zagging through the channel back to land? there's gotta be some heroic stories from some of you hellmen who charge the big nasty days

Holy Smoke
regular

Post by Holy Smoke » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:50 am

good question. not being a powerful ocean swimmer has always prevented me from paddling out on big, ugly days. i really don't mind getting pounded by the big ones...it/s annoying as hell but not scary. what scares me most is losing my board and having to swim a LONG way to land. although i can do 50 laps of a 50m pool, in the ocean it scars me when big and rippy. usually when out back i make a mental note of where i am going to swim to if i lose my board. what course i'll take etc. so that i am prepared when it happens.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:01 am

I have only ever snapped a leggie once out in the surf. That was at a place called the Pines in Vic. It's a pretty small reef-break, mainly mal riders, and I was absolutely rooted having to swim 50 metres in a steamer and booties to catch my board.

I'm not a bad swimmer and reasonably fit as well. After that experience I now always make sure I replace a leggie every 6 months or so. Getting caught out at some places down here without a board, such as Gunnamatta, on a decent day with the rips at full steam would be damn nasty.

Although I tend to avoid the big stuff anyway.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:16 am

was surfing a sydney reefy with a mate the other week. swell fairly solid but not one of the bigger days.

it was a sat morning and i noticed some guy paddling against the rip on a mini mal over at the beachy .. chuckled to myself .. weekend crew blah blah

about half hour later the nose half of his board washes through the reefy. we send it in on a bomb.

no less than an hour after that the other half, including legrope wash through as well! :shock: my mate salvages the leggy :lol: (no leg attached)

also, surfing the same beachy a few days later i snapped my board and had the fins end attached to my leg. was trying to bodysurf that in and copped it across the jaw. got me pretty sweetly too. lucky i got the rail and not the fins.

aitch
regular

Post by aitch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:25 am

Years ago on a trip to Bali I got caught inside at Ulus, I swam under the first of the set on the corner, got driven way down and as I started the climb up the leggie it snapped. Seconds later the second wave of whitewater raored overhead and I kinda went into that limbo stage. When I surfaced I was well on my way to Padang and despite copping a few racecourse sets on the noggin I felt way more positive about swimming into the reef, rather than trying to go round again.

Using the whitewater, even underwater, at least your heading into the shore. And after about 10 or 15 I was at least able to get up on some rocks and get a rest. I couldn't imagine having to do a sunset beach swim out, let alone a few times in a row.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:50 am

First up, you should check the water movements before you paddle out in the event your leggy or board breaks. But of course big wave surfing requires a certain cavalier attitude so this safety measure is often overlooked.

All breaks follow a certain pattern; water pushes down the reef or point where the waves break, and then heads back out to sea, usually through a deeper channel (beachies are similar though they are harder to read and the pattern can change). This means that to hit the beach you've usually gotta be in the whitewash, and that means you're gonna get rolled a bit. But as long as the whitewash is pushing you towards shore just suck em in and roll with it. Keep remembering you're heading away from danger towards safety.

Sometimes the deep water can be the danger. You think you're safe cos your not getting hit, but without realising it you're getting taken out to sea or along the beach away from an easy port. Stay with the whitewash, it's you're lifeline to shore. When you get to a gutter swim like a madman.

Do swim training in the ocean. It's very different than laps in a pool. I've done the Perth to Rotto swim a couple of times but be buggered if I could swim 50 laps in a pool. Probably be lucky to do half that.

I haven't had any real problems with getting back to shore for many years so I think it's an experience thing (dont worry I'm typing with one hand and touching wood with the other)

PS: Not that sort of wood!

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:19 am

the biggest worry i have at cronulla is if oneday i get caught in the voodoo express out behind south cronulla that runs all the way to voodoo.
one day i had just come in from island when this guy missed a wave coming in from cronulla point.
next thing he's off down near wanda and the helicopter was after him.
i thought it was my brother so was getting ready to go get him (thats another story).
the helicopter guys were calling it 20 foot.
they picked the guy up and got bravery awards.
i reakon that would be a bad experience as the next port in is botany bay in that size swell. thats if you got swept through merries reef alive.
touching wood it never happens to me.

2nd reef, do you have any tips on swimming in the pool when used to swimming in the ocean?
i have trouble with going between the two.
in the ocean im swimming with flippers and over and under chops.
then hopping in the pool, my swim stroke is all screwed up.

Butts

Post by Butts » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:53 am

Interesting :idea:

Losing your board, breaking a leggy in big surf :shock: pfft :P
Try being out there with a camera :shock: :shock:
Only got one arm to assist, get thrown around like a bloody washing machine when you try and come in. :oops:
And the camera acts like a bloody anchor :twisted:
Bodysurfing the whitewater, don't happen. Anything over 4ft of whitewater
makes you do upside down cartwheels, and then you have to work out
which way is up :lol: :lol: :lol:
You HAVE to take the whitewater, cause if you get caught by an sort of water
movement (rip/sweep/channell) you have 1 of 2 choices:-

1. Ditch the camera and swim for it
2. Ride it out, and try and come in another way

2nd one is not necessarily a good option either, cause generally the reason your coming
in is because your starting to get tired :oops:
Or your batteries are dead :x
Or your memory card is full (hopefully with keepers) :lol:
Or your camera's just DROWNED :evil: :evil:

So after my experiences with the camera, I've never had an issue coming
in whenever I've broken my leggie 8)

My thoughts: "If you don't reckon you can swim in without your board, then don't bloody well go out" :wink:

Stokie
Grommet

Post by Stokie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:10 pm

I generally feel a lot more confident copping waves on the head if i don't have a board attached to me, so i've never had any problems. However i've never been out in anything over 8ft and i bodyboard so i've always got the swim fins to help me in.

Smolchy
Grommet

Post by Smolchy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:48 pm

Face the shore and try and bodysurf in , even the whitewater will push u back to the beach just put your head down and kick and swim like a muthafuka , I also havent really been out in anything over 8ft but have chased my board back to sure plenty of times, this is where swim training pays off, Butts check my swimming thread heaps of swimming gurus left tips for pool swimming.

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:27 pm

Nearly drowned myself on two separate occasions in big top-to-bottom surf at DY point after losing my board. Both times were after having had the flu and, in my enthusiasm to catch one last ride, staying out too long.

I only just got in. I had absolutely nothing left. If I’d been caught by the rip and had to go round again I’d have been a goner.

My rule is now: If I can’t swim in without my board, I don’t go out.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:29 pm

There is some real good advice in this thread. Don't be tempted to swim out the back and wait for a lull. You'll just tire yourself out. As the others say, stay in the white water and as long as you are headed for shore you should be OK and the upside is, if you do drown they won't have to drag your body so far back to the beach.

Still hate clubbies, a leftover from the 60's, but thankyou to the old man (who was a clubbie) and his mates for teaching me how to swim in the surf and bodysurf.

The worst thing you can do is panic. Once your neck starts to tighten you are in trouble. Stay loose, even underwater. A body that is full of air will float for a while. Breathe....but only when you are above water!

Local

Post by 2260 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:28 am

2nd reef is spot on.

The whitewater is your friend. After a set, start to swim in directly though the break zone. If a bomb comes, get to the bottom and curl up, once you feel it just get to you, swim up so you get thrown around a bit and dragged in behind the white wash, not infront of it. repeat this two or three times and you should be close enough to shore.

oh and never fight a rip, much better to conserve energy and take a few on the head in the impact zone.

Tills
Grommet

Post by Tills » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:49 am

2260 wrote:2nd reef is spot on.

The whitewater is your friend. After a set, start to swim in directly though the break zone. If a bomb comes, get to the bottom and curl up, once you feel it just get to you, swim up so you get thrown around a bit and dragged in behind the white wash, not infront of it. repeat this two or three times and you should be close enough to shore.

oh and never fight a rip, much better to conserve energy and take a few on the head in the impact zone.
That's pretty much what I do right there. I generally don't go out on really big surf, as I'm still learning the craft, but I must admit my ambitions far outweigh my abilities, so I tend to find myself being thrown around a bit. :p

I'll pretty much follow the wash in. I'm pretty confident with my stroke, although I suffer with my fitness. Or lack of. I'm also quite confident at holding my breath for extended periods so I'm normally pretty comfortable with curling up in a ball and toughing it out, and then going for broke when I get a lull.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:01 am

^^^^

Are you from the Mornington Peninsula as well mate?

Tills
Grommet

Post by Tills » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:08 am

Hatchman wrote:^^^^

Are you from the Mornington Peninsula as well mate?
I'm from Melb Hatch, but I get down there a fair bit as my mate has a house in Sorrento.

breaks
Grommet

Post by breaks » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:25 am

Big surf at a beach breaks seems to have the habit of pushing you into shore. IMO small(ish) surf at a reef break is far more trecherous without a board. Once snapped my leggie in 3 foot surf at Voodoo's (heavy little wave, caught on the inside) and proceeded to "ride the rapids" for several hundred metres - including getting stuck on a number of coral heads when they sucked dry, only to get smashed by the next wave etc etc: end results = cuts on hands + feet, ripped wettie, fins smashed out of board - all while a "mate" ashore laughed his head off :P . Give me 6+ foot at the local beach anyday!
So anyone with good advice on getting ashore from a reef break after getting seperated from board on the insde??

surfingmaster

Post by surfingmaster » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:21 am

My
Last edited by surfingmaster on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.