Anyone Flying Jestar to Bali or Hawaii - board lengths......

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Booked a ticket to Bali/Hawaii on Jetstar?

Yes
63%
No
38%
Not yet, but will
No votes

Total votes: 8

loco4olas
charger

Anyone Flying Jestar to Bali or Hawaii - board lengths......

Post by loco4olas » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Interested in getting a head count on anyone that is flying to either Bali or Jetstar-that is booked tickets already.

Matt

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:25 pm

I booked my tickets already about a month or so ago-flying to hawaii

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:00 pm

when are oyu there chamber?

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:08 pm

Is there only one flight or something? Sry im not quite upto date. :oops:

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:28 pm

Yup.
Flying Jetstar to Bali in April/May.

Board length max 2m with them.
-Anyone know if you get enough leeway to take a 6'8" or 6'10"?

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:21 pm

i'm going to hawaii in june-i know its not the best time for surfing but i wanted to celebrate my bday over there so... 8)

bc>i would call ahead and see if you can book it in beforehand.i know you can pre-buy extra baggage alowance so i think that might be the case for surfboards too

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:14 pm

bc wrote:Yup.
Flying Jetstar to Bali in April/May.

Board length max 2m with them.
-Anyone know if you get enough leeway to take a 6'8" or 6'10"?
That's why I started the thread.

I've been waiting to see if that policy had changed on their site-with the flights starting soon. It hasn't. I called them today and the fella' I spoke to couldn't shed any light-friendly as he was (bodyboarder-so kind of sympathetic). He understood the predicament with board lengths and was stumped with what to do.

I knew the policy was in place when I booked last year-and expected that in light of Bali being a major surf destination out of Aust. and there being limited opportunities on other airlines-they would amend their policy.

I asked if there was anyone I could write to, to raise the issue-as 2m (including board bag) rules out any useful boards for an Indo trip. I was told the only address was the general one on the site:

GPO Box 4713
Melbourne, VIC
Australia 3001

I wanted to see how many others here had booked to go with Jetstar to one of their major surf destinations-to see if we had enough numbers to provide some critical mass to write to them to promote a policy change.

Matt

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:20 pm

i'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

i'd like to think i have a bit of experience now getting what i want outta people over the phone :lol:

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:24 pm

Chamberess wrote:i'm going to hawaii in june-i know its not the best time for surfing but i wanted to celebrate my bday over there so... 8)

bc>i would call ahead and see if you can book it in beforehand.i know you can pre-buy extra baggage alowance so i think that might be the case for surfboards too
It's all S shore that time of the year-still some fun waves. And, who knows, you may get a sneaker W or NW swell.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:28 pm

mmm nw

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:10 pm

haha no

but 10 points for trying :wink:

JaxonB
regular

Post by JaxonB » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:57 pm

went to bali just recently, i had 6'3". another guy i met on the plane had a 6'6". was on garuda

Damien
regular

Post by Damien » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:56 am

I flew Jetstar to bali recently and had a 7'6" boardbag and there was no dramas at all. I didnt even know about the 2 metre policy and they didnt even question me.

I saw guys with mals in board bags too so i dont think it is an issue.

I think most airlines have a 2 metre policy but it is never enforced. If your that worried about it rip the tag off your bag that says how long it is.

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:20 am

Damien wrote:I flew Jetstar to bali recently and had a 7'6" boardbag and there was no dramas at all. I didnt even know about the 2 metre policy and they didnt even question me.

I saw guys with mals in board bags too so i dont think it is an issue.

I think most airlines have a 2 metre policy but it is never enforced. If your that worried about it rip the tag off your bag that says how long it is.
I didn't think they were flying to Bali yet-bloke on the phone said flights started early next month..........

That may be right about the policy not being enforced. I've been PM'd by someone that flew to Hawaii with them (again didn't think they'd started that service yet) and said no dramas with 7' + board bag. So maybe no dramas and I'm getting worked up about nothing-just saw the policy and it's pretty clear about them not taking boards over 2m-again it'd be a crazy policy for somewhere like Indo.
Salty wrote:he longest board I'm taking to Indo is 6'2",

Mate, are you serious? I normally ride a 602 and the smallest I ever take is a 606 mini-gun-never bother with normal boards. Always prefer the extra rail.

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:46 am

salty wrote:I can't imagine they'd do very well encoraging surfers to fly with them to Bali or Hawaii if they don't allow boards longer than 6ft. That's plain silly.

The longest board I'm taking to Indo is 6'2", but my travel bag is 7'. I'm flying Garuda though (I normally fly Qantas) .... perhaps I should check their size restrictions. Anyone know about Garuda?
I flew Garuda to Bali and took my 6'8" and my 7' in October - both in the same board bag which says 7'2" but I think is longer. No problems at all :-)

Damien
regular

Post by Damien » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 am

Loco4olas. I flew Jetstar to Bali in mid January and got back last week. The guy you spoke to on the phone has no idea. You should have no problems at all. If they ask how long your bag is just tell them 2 metres, they aren’t going to measure it. Not that I have ever been asked before.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:53 pm

Damien wrote:Loco4olas. I flew Jetstar to Bali in mid January and got back last week. The guy you spoke to on the phone has no idea. You should have no problems at all. If they ask how long your bag is just tell them 2 metres, they aren’t going to measure it. Not that I have ever been asked before.
hmm well i would be worried because my best mate was turned away from taking his 7'2" double boardbag on Jet star. And domestic flights are strict also.