Surfer or bodyboarder:the big decision

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Chamberess
Owl status

Surfer or bodyboarder:the big decision

Post by Chamberess » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:26 pm

Has been in the back of my mind for a while now and by no means do i want this to turn into a sh*t fight of which is better (we all love the waves,thats what counts boys)

What made you decide to choose stand up surfing over bodyboarding or vice versa?

Did you ever try out the other option before you made your choice,or do you simply do both?

September sessions comes to mind where you see the likes of Dorian,Machado and co taking to the bodyboards...

insomniac
regular

Post by insomniac » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:42 pm

*waits for token reply from smnmntl*

Deadbolt
Local

Re: Surfer or bodyboarder:the big decision

Post by Deadbolt » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:59 pm

Chamberess wrote: September sessions comes to mind where you see the likes of Dorian,Machado and co taking to the bodyboards...
did they have a crack on a lid? how'd they go?

i chose a lid because i always had access to one and it was fun bashing round in the beachies. i stuck with it because i love the feeling of hitting the lip and getting launched. i'll probably have a crack on a shortie sometime next year, and if all goes well ill purchase and have a choice when i go to the beach.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:16 pm

your response is welcomed,no hard feelings.

Deadbolt>by lidders' standards let's just say they just went out for a splash on them :lol:

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:43 pm

I can ride both, but my surfing almost always gets sacrificed for booging.

I started booging earlier than surfing so I am naturally better at it, hence, if I have the choice I will pick boogie as I can get air and almost always get barrelled.
Once my joints start to ache a little and booging becomes too brutal (shore breaks and sucky reefs) I'll pick up the surf board again and get stuck into those Alley mush burgers.

fong

Re: Surfer or bodyboarder:the big decision

Post by fong » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:56 pm

Chamberess wrote: Did you ever try out the other option before you made your choice,or do you simply do both?

i've tryed both :shock:( footy injury saw me boogie 4 six months back in 2000 :cry: ) and i prefer standup.....but thats just me :P

and just add another :idea: ....i've spent some sessions on a kneeboard.....and thats by far the best surf craft 4 deep barrel riding :!:

if u half decent at drop knee....i strongly reccommend u give it a go :wink:

(can worms opening :lol: )

i think boogie is harder fitness wise than footboarding :shock:

i've paddle away from breakwall on number occasions 'cause bitch of a rip while local boogies froth....and carry on over the shorebreak closeouts :lol:

fairdinkum......u could show 'em a perfect peeling point and they all want go back to there onshore b'wall :shock: ....i kinda respect 'em 4 that 8)

ehhh....so on topic.....tryed both....love me standup.....but see nothing wrong with howeva u have a go :wink:

p.s theres lots ways surf....i'm just startin explore options :wink:

I'M GONNA SHAPE ME SELF A QUAD :lol:

HairY_SteveN

Post by HairY_SteveN » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:09 pm

Nick-W wrote:I started booging earlier than surfing so I am naturally better at it, hence, if I have the choice I will pick boogie as I can get air and almost always get barrelled.
Once my joints start to ache a little and booging becomes too brutal (shore breaks and sucky reefs) I'll pick up the surf board again and get stuck into those Alley mush burgers.
what a kook.isnt shorebreaks and sucky reefs what bodyboarding is about?sounds to me like you're shit at both surfing and bodyboarding.especially since ur claiming "almost always getiing barrelled" and you can "get air". haha

insomniac
regular

Post by insomniac » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:31 pm

and now the calls of "KOOK" start up, to help others feel better about themselves...

rabbity7
regular

Post by rabbity7 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:20 pm

When I started surfing, like most people I sucked. I really sucked. But I kept trying at it and now I surf everyday without fail and love it. Back in my mega kook days if it was too big for me(over 2 foot), anybigger and I would nosedive every wave or just go over the falls, I would take the lid out. And that was fine, I built my confidence up in bigger waves. But I got to a point where I realised the challenge was going away. Every wave was the same. Take off, no challenge there cause u lying down, go across, maybe do a little spin or something repetitive then pull into a close out or try some roll. I found I got better much faster on a lid than a surfboard but then got to a point where its all the same. Thats when I stopped lidding altogether and I haven't looked back since. No matter how good u r on a surfboard there is always room for improvement. I don't think I'll ever stop improving. There will always be somewhere I haven't gone in my surfing. Thats what I love about it. Besides it feels fricken awesome. There is no comparison between a good barrel on a lid and a good barrel on a standup. It just feels better on a standup. Feeling the power of the wave and the speed you generate off it. I know its harder but the rewards are so much greater.

Nick-W wrote:I can ride both, but my surfing almost always gets sacrificed for booging.

I started booging earlier than surfing so I am naturally better at it, hence, if I have the choice I will pick boogie as I can get air and almost always get barrelled.
If you keep trying at surfing you can get air. And its proper air. I'm not sure about getting pitted almost everytime cause its kinda hard in 1 foot mushburgers but if theres pits to be had, theres pits to be had no matter what your riding. And like I said before it feels so much better to get a nice clean barrel on a stand up.

I'm not saying I'm the best surfer myself but atleast I'm improving and I know I'll be able to keep on improving.

I know lots of people who used to be lids and where really good at it and have since converted and are not the best of surfers yet but they haven't turned back. They love it. And its not how good you are, its how much fun your having that counts. I've actually got a friend who lidded who a fair while and was pretty good. He could do all those rolls, spins and ARS' or what ever they are and then started surfing and now he fricken rips over me.

So maybe give it more than just a couple tries before you give up on surfing, lids. Its well worth it. I gave a lid another try the other day for the first time in a couple years. I still stand by my decision and I hope u lids can see how great giving a standup a go can really be.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:24 pm

Sorry, have we met before ?

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:33 am

started standup surfing when i was about 8, got really sick of seeing my friends having loads of fun on their bodyboards so i left the stick in the garage and i think we got rid of it the year after. been just over 10 years and im glad i stuck to my chosen craft.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:48 am

when I started surfing I don't think anyone was body boarding, morey boogies existed but no one was riding them outside the flags. When I was about 14-15 I knew only a few guys who were riding them on point breaks and bigger waves etc.
When I was 9 years old there was only one option and 31 years later it's still fibreglass and under 6'6"

rabbity7
regular

Post by rabbity7 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:07 am

Nick-W wrote:Sorry, have we met before ?
Dunno. Why?

Killuminati

Post by Killuminati » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:37 am

boogd 4 8 years, travelled round scored perfect waves, Won contests, recieved recognition, Came home couldnt quiet find the same stoke due to the inconsistancy of the east coast, gave standing up a go and iv never looked back not even 4 second. I remember getting a 2 ft pit n claiming it . The feeling was unparallel to even a 6ft 6 second tube laying down. I believe most boogers seriously dont wat they are missing lying down.
It really is just a natural progression. And you still have all your ocean knowledge. Each to they're own but I just cant understand how friends of mine can still go out when it's 2 ft and fat, and do the same thing they've been doing 4 over a decade. Yeeeww

howsitgoin
regular

Post by howsitgoin » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:46 am

Started skatin when i was 10. Did that for about 3 years but when all my mates stopped it got boring. They all started surfin or boogerin so i thought maybe its time i learnt (specially since i lived about 100 metres away from the beach). Got a fish when i was 14 (it was so wide i couldnt even carry it under my arm :D ), then got a mini-mal, then got a shorty (6"3). Im pretty bad on the shorty but im gettin there.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:17 am

my home break has been shark island since i was ten (86 ish), and cronulla point before that.
rode both a kmart booger and a hand me down single fin surfboard, but mum couldnt afford constant ding repairs.
so it became more and more of riding island on a kmart booger.
i still dig boards of all types from short to long, but i suck at shortboard surfing, maccas trays at hollow spots have been my latest board of choice.

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:29 am

people trying to pass over their opinions as facts, as 'real'.
this i cannot stand.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:33 am

chose a boogie cause its all i had and fell in love with it. learnt stand up after boogieing for about 6 months and now ill do which ever i feel like at the time. usually its to booger but sometimes when the waves are a little fatter ect ill go for the stand up, but sometimes i just feel i wanna go carving so ill stand up aswell.

id say 2/3 ill booger maybe 3/4. i just enjoy it more