LOST @ Collaroy. Blue Wayne Dean 9'1" mal

The new place to register any boards or other surfing equipment for sale.
Or, if you want to report something lost or found, list it here.
There's no time limit on how long your ad can run but please help us to keep the relevant stuff at the top by changing the heading to include the word "SOLD" when you've disposed of the item. An admin or mod may elect to alter the heading for you if there's no activity for a long period of time.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

illiards

LOST @ Collaroy. Blue Wayne Dean 9'1" mal

Post by illiards » Sun May 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Today (24 May 2020) I got absolutely pummeled by a cleanout set and the leggie just got pulled right off. By the time I crawled ashore in the vicious shorebreak the board was 300M offshore heading NE. Could not summon the energy to swim after it. Hopefully it has been picked up/washed ashore. Sentimental value.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: LOST @ Collaroy. Blue Wayne Dean 9'1" mal

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:54 pm

well illiards one of my racing squad lost a race board off the back of White Rock on the same day. Couldn't turn it up even with a jet ski search. Last week it washed up on Soldiers Beach on the Central Coast. So maybe cast your net a bit.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:26 pm

I was hoping someone would respond to poor illy's plight.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:55 pm

Do salvage rights apply here?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:51 pm

I wish more mal riders would lose their boards ;)
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:23 am

Pre leg rope boards lost at Kirra used to end up on Sth Straddie.......if someone hadnt retrieved them from the Shorebreak and sold them to a surf shop before the owner got to shore.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Lost mine at the Alley Currumbin early one morning.
First out, pretty big. Got lip launched on take off and snapped my leggie.
Finally made landfall at Laceys Lane and started running north.
Had to swim out into the channel at 19th Ave, Palm Beach to retrieve it.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:31 am

One winter back in the 80's my sister and I were crewing on a 41' Morgan Out Island ketch with the owner, a retired airline pilot, knocking around the Bahamas.
We were anchored for a time at what is considered the most secluded island in the Bahamas, Cat Island, named for Arthur Catt, a pirate and contemporary of Blackbeard.
Anyway, talk about a deserted island, you could walk for miles on the beach and not see another human being all day long.
Late one afternoon, after a full day of hiking, Sis and I were returning to the anchorage, we saw the first person we'd seen all day, a grizzled old wisp of a native woman coming down the only road after a day of beach combing.
She had a big beautiful Portuguese green glass net buoy ball and, now get this, a fcuking sweet little twin fin perched atop her head!
There had been a huge run of swell recently, this fragile board somehow made it ,unscathed , past jagged limestone reef and shoreline, to a safe sand landing.
We spoke with her.
The items were for sale.
We checked out the board.
It was a Classical Glass, made back in our hometown in NC. Unbelievable.
Sis asks if she'll take five dollars for it.
She did.
We took it aboard and eventually back to Carolina.
Some time after returning home and news of Sis's find spreading, it turned out that a local guy was on a surf trip to a neighbouring island many miles of open ocean away, San Salvador.
He had gotten absolutely pummeled one day, lost his board, barely made it to shore and watched it float away out to sea.
Sis should have happily returned the board to the hapless hodad, that's what my girlfriend and I felt, maybe ask for a finder's fee or something if she was inclined

My brother from Hawaii said Hell No, Law of the Sea! (which really isn't the "law of the sea," strictly speaking).
Sis kept it and surfed it for a couple of years. I suppose that's what Arthur Catt would have done.
marauding mullet wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:22 am

Neat little story offy
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 am

Fingers crossed pirates don't capture illy's stick.
marauding mullet wrote:

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:38 am

Good one Offy! Got any pics from that trip?
Those glass balls are fantastic. There’s a surf spot in Bali named Greenballs, apparently named so after a surfer found one washed up on the beach.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks boys, I'm pretty much exclusively only on my phone now, but I'll see if I can't find and post a pic or two.
marauding mullet wrote:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:37 am

One more little story about Cat Island then I'll shut up (hope you find your board by the way Illness).
Thinking of the thread hereabouts talking sharks, and Steve of late saying he prefers surfing with a bit of a crowd in the water to being the solitude bait on offer.
One day I brought my mask fins and snorkel over to the ocean side of the island to see what was out there.
I think you probably can guess the rest.
Nobody for miles around, not even my sister this day, I swam out to a jagged limestone dry reef about a quarter mile from the beach. Fish everywhere , crystal clear water, gorgeous. I was playing in God's creation.
When you're twenty, you're immortal , you're the main character in life's panoply.

Unless there's an enormous shark cruising the gutter between you and shore.
Honest to God, it was the biggest fin I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot,
. His fin was three feet out of the water if it was an inch.
This grey mother.fcuker was as menacing as the plague .
I was shitting myself.
Alone.
Nobody literally for miles.
I was no longer the main character.
I was a supporting role.
Lunch

Obviously I made it back to the beach, easily besting any of Carroll's marks for speed.
And far more aware of my mortality.
marauding mullet wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:42 pm

Haha. Yep.
The old shark between you and the beach trick.
SAF!
My last two years of high school we lived on the beachfront at Bilinga and I would often surf before school.
Typical beachfront, channel between the beach and a sand bar.
The deepest part of the channel was always just inside the sand bar. Deep enough to be that blue black colour.
If you lost your board it would always float past the deep bit which you'd then have to swim through.
The choice was always between going for broke and churning the water like a sick fish. Or float out there quietly and hope to go unnoticed. And four times as long to get your board.
Beanpole

Skipper

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:35 pm

So your sister ripped off the woman by giving her $5 for it and then wouldn't return it to it's owner. niiiccceeeee
offshore1 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:31 am
One winter back in the 80's my sister and I were crewing on a 41' Morgan Out Island ketch with the owner, a retired airline pilot, knocking around the Bahamas.
We were anchored for a time at what is considered the most secluded island in the Bahamas, Cat Island, named for Arthur Catt, a pirate and contemporary of Blackbeard.
Anyway, talk about a deserted island, you could walk for miles on the beach and not see another human being all day long.
Late one afternoon, after a full day of hiking, Sis and I were returning to the anchorage, we saw the first person we'd seen all day, a grizzled old wisp of a native woman coming down the only road after a day of beach combing.
She had a big beautiful Portuguese green glass net buoy ball and, now get this, a fcuking sweet little twin fin perched atop her head!
There had been a huge run of swell recently, this fragile board somehow made it ,unscathed , past jagged limestone reef and shoreline, to a safe sand landing.
We spoke with her.
The items were for sale.
We checked out the board.
It was a Classical Glass, made back in our hometown in NC. Unbelievable.
Sis asks if she'll take five dollars for it.
She did.
We took it aboard and eventually back to Carolina.
Some time after returning home and news of Sis's find spreading, it turned out that a local guy was on a surf trip to a neighbouring island many miles of open ocean away, San Salvador.
He had gotten absolutely pummeled one day, lost his board, barely made it to shore and watched it float away out to sea.
Sis should have happily returned the board to the hapless hodad, that's what my girlfriend and I felt, maybe ask for a finder's fee or something if she was inclined

My brother from Hawaii said Hell No, Law of the Sea! (which really isn't the "law of the sea," strictly speaking).
Sis kept it and surfed it for a couple of years. I suppose that's what Arthur Catt would have done.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Yeah I know, not her best self, I'm afraid. And it isn't the only disagreement we've had.
marauding mullet wrote:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:36 am

Well, to be fair, it was $5 US, not Aus.
marauding mullet wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:06 am

Good point.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan