hayden shapes

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:52 pm

just call him up and get him to make you a custom.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:21 pm

oh well my brothers mate has one and he swears by it.... may be a bit bias though cause he is mates with the guy (created the logo for him i think)

lrsa_04
Local

Post by lrsa_04 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:03 pm

get a Brandon they are sick boards and i think they are pretty cheap

CLS

Post by CLS » Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm

I bought a Hayden shapes before christmas last year. Was lucky to get it shaped before hayden went to indo.

I am around 80-85kg at 185cm, ordered a 6'4" somethin somethin. Can't remember the details because I snapped the thing in early february in marginal surf. It had a std glass job, but felt ultra light. I snap my share of boards but usually in heavy conditions but this thing snapped when I was attempting to land a floater in 3-4ft surf. Damn thing scraped all up the inside of right leg to boot.

The board surfed ok though, probably a tad twitchy and reponsive for my level of surfing. I am back to the old dog, a 10yr old board that I borrowed from my mate last time I snapped a board and didn't give back. The thing is a dog but when the waves get sucky it comes alive.

I am about to get another board but don't know where to go.....the shaper I used before hayden (Shaping Co - Greg Webb on the goldie) had made me a heap of boards but he botched the fins on the last one (the board hummed! when I did bottom turn going left and then sketched out) and I thought it was time for a change.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:55 pm

Ive had a couple they go alright, my first one snapped about 50 cm down the board on a very average day at whaley when i did a floater. it was a very average wave, a bit fat and hardly the sort of wave you would snap a board on.

I sold my second one reasonably soon, but used it at schoolies and didnt have many problems with it, i just was in need of cash

The one i have at the moment is one of his summer shortboard designs and I love it, i was sort of planning for three strikes and his out (however he is very well priced) but my surfing has improved ten fold on this board and it feels much stronger then the last 2. so yeh i guess its luck of the draw, not sure if i will get another through him, but the one i have at the moment is excellent

moneyman
barnacle

Post by moneyman » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:45 pm

uther wrote:Nah but I want to know if they are good quality etc.
and your complaining against grommet post whores who only talk for 1 line. well:

a) your also a grommet

b) you have written atleast 4 one liners in this thread.

anyway, i am thinking of getting one of his shortboards BUT i saw a really nice al merrick board at sds today for $640 that im thinking of saving up for. Doesnt he sell the boards at the surfboard house at mona vale? im pretty sure thats where his shaping shed/place is. There fkn cheap aswell and ideal for me because i really am sort of beginner/intermediette...like i can stand up and carve but sometimes i have a bit of trouble like everyone. mind you i am 13 and started in december. anyhoo, they look like a great board but i need the cash. any other good shapers in the sydney area? hmmm, is $750 for a Greg Webber a good price or not?

cheers, (sorry uther buddy)
Ka ChInG !!!!!

Hecko
regular

Post by Hecko » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:22 pm

just out of interest, it seems like snapping boards is a pretty normal occurance. i bodyboard n haven't really surfed stand up much so its interesting. in the back of my mind i wouldn't mind getting a stick for when the waves r a bit fatter, but not if ya snap $600 boards reguarly!

moneyman
barnacle

Post by moneyman » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:36 pm

hey uth,

i surfed bower when it was 3 foot and racecourse/racetracks when bower wasnt even working but my first time at winki it was low tide, 2 foot barrels and i was scared shitless because of the near-dry reef that was straight infront of me.
Ka ChInG !!!!!

Cales

Post by Cales » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:51 pm

Hey Uth,

I've got a Haydenshapes, shortboard, bought it and took it to Bali in Feb this year and I'm pretty stoked with how it feels, although i don't blow up in the water or anything.

Pretty fast board compared to what I was riding before with was a bit more boaty

Glass job is pretty good and it's not heavy, doesn't ding overly easy, couple o dongs on the rail from launching off the back and clippin me knee's but nothing unusual. Snapped my other board in Bali but this one held up...

Chatted to Hayden about where my surfing was at and he was really helpful...

Ultimately, i rate him, good everyday boards, at a good price

Cales