Full volume shortboard?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Beerfan

Full volume shortboard?

Post by Beerfan » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:59 pm

After selling my kayak, and having the cash burn a hole in my pocket, i bought myself a reasonably decent 6'6" shortboard. A bit old with a few minor dings, but, generally, a decent board. Anyway, to my surprise, i can actually get up on this thing ( im a newb, and i've been on a mini mal for the past 4 or so months ). But, i dont like the fact that it feels like im swimming when im paddling!!, and it doesnt float as well as the mini mal. Is it possible to still get the same manouverability if i made an exact copy of the board, only it was around 3" thick??. I think that way, it would float me easily, paddle, and catch waves much easier, but would it still turn at the flick of the hips??, and could i still catch the small ( 1ft ) waves?? ( i dont mind the small waves coz then i have them all to myself!!! ).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

buzzy too lazy to login

Post by buzzy too lazy to login » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:35 pm

You can definitely go thicker at the same length. There are always tradeoffs though. There's no way a thicker shortboard will be as responsive as a shortboard with identical dimensions (except thinner). That said, a thicker shortboard can be plenty responsive for an average surfer...it will paddle like a longboard and be more responsive than a longboard. And bear in mind that for us older guys a thicker shortboard really isn't that much different to the boards we learnt to surf on. A typical MR twinny of the late 70's would be around 21 inches wide and 3 inches thick, which is about what a fuller volume shortboard would be nowadays. Indeed, that'd be heading toward the thick end of thick. I always have a thicker board in the quiver for smaller days or when I'm more unfit.

Miller and McCoy probably do the best of them imho, but plenty of shapers do fuller volume shortboards nowadays, including (I've read) Simon Anderson.

Beerfan

Full volume shortboard?

Post by Beerfan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:14 am

Thanks mate. I guess 3" is at the thick end of thick!!. I think even 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 would be good as well. Thanks for the advice

mad
charger

Post by mad » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:42 am

I've been surfing 2 3/4 shortboards for yonks and its worth the pay off. If yer not catching waves your not having fun.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:50 pm

Beerbaron, there’s lots of ways to achieve floatation (other than waterwings :D ), extra width, extra thickness, don’t take as much off the rails or generally leave more foam throughout the whole foil of the board.

A nice outline on a fairly wide board is still easy to turn, yet maintains stability, something I think would be good for you (and me :? ).

A thicker board will float you higher but won’t increase the stability, it will just be corkier.

I made a 6'4" x 21" x 2 3/4" and it turned and went well and the current bonzer project is 20 1/2 or something, 7' and has a relatively pulled in tail at 13 1/2" and turns nicely also.

So my advice to young man without knowing your dimensions, and I really don’t want to, 2 3/4 - 2 7/8 thick 6' 8" - 6' 10"ish :wink: flat bottom (of the board) through to convex through the fin area. This will give easy rail to rail transitions :arrow:

Beerfan

Full volume shortboard

Post by Beerfan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:30 am

Thanks for the replies people. My mate and i have found someone who makes boards and is willing to get the stuff for us. We're just waiting on him !!.