Yellow discoloured boards

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

matty_02
Grommet

Yellow discoloured boards

Post by matty_02 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:47 am

I'm sure you've all seen how boards turn that yellowy colour after a while.

Mines done that, its not too bad but i was wondering if theres anything which can be applied to it or done to bring it back to white???

Thanks in advance

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:06 am

Not as far as I know, barring a full restoration job. The foam and glass both develop a yellow tinge over time due to UV exposure and, in the case of the foam, sea water entering through dings.

I guess you could try sanding back a bit and spraying, but I think it'd look pretty crook.

I'll be staying tuned to this thread to see if any of the shapers/experts out there have any tips on this one. I know there are some guys who post on here who do lots of restoration work.

matty_02
Grommet

Post by matty_02 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:23 pm

Would be great to hear their thoughts.

Just want to know if its possible, then i'll think about doing it...
Its not that bad at the moment, looks alright!!

Thanks for your response

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:54 pm

I've also wondered this.

matty_02
Grommet

Post by matty_02 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:12 pm

Cmon fellas,

There must be someone who knows someone that can answer this question? ;) hope so.

Cheers

mad
charger

Post by mad » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:30 am

Matty, I dunno for sure, but I reckon there's nothing that can be done.
Basically the yellowing is a degradation process usually bought about by sun and ageing. There's no going back, or wonder products.

You can try to recoat it via a respray. Platty's covered this in the Mal section.
Or just get a new board, with a spray or tint to protect more against yellowing. Just move on.

Could try for a research grant at the Ponds Institute to find a solution :wink:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Good idea to keep it out of the sun as much as possible. Keep it in a cover and don't leave it sitting on the balcony all summer. A thought for next time :)

moods
regular

Post by moods » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:55 pm

Get a board with a top graphic (wont go as yellow)...or a tuflite if u can afford to spend the cash (will not go yellow, had mine for a yr and still looks brand spanking new). As far as i know nothin else can be done, good luck gettin the shapers talking, they all want us to dish out money on new boards, not repair old ones :shock: :lol:

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:34 pm

buy a yellow board in the first place and you wont even notice.

eMpowered
Local

Yellow

Post by eMpowered » Sat May 06, 2006 10:10 pm

I have done resto's like this - carefully taken all glass off - Photoshoped decals etc.

The ONLY way to get all yellow off is to reshape blank down a couple of mm and then reglass. Yes it is a huge job - No I have never done it for under $800

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun May 07, 2006 5:23 pm

matty_02 wrote:Cmon fellas...
Matty, not really any viable solutions that warrant the expense as even painting over a board that has been ridden is a can of worms because of the wax, dents, dings, etc, plus you will be adding weight and if it is not done properly it just gets scratched off.

This is also a lot of boards that have a white foam spray and others have a smidge of white pigment in the resin. Also very prevalent now are UV additive that make the resin have a slight blue/violet tinge, this is to try and minimise the discoloration of the foam and resin.

Buy a new board... :D

Post by Guest » Mon May 08, 2006 10:44 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
matty_02 wrote:Cmon fellas...
Matty, not really any viable solutions that warrant the expense as even painting over a board that has been ridden is a can of worms because of the wax, dents, dings, etc, plus you will be adding weight and if it is not done properly it just gets scratched off.

This is also a lot of boards that have a white foam spray and others have a smidge of white pigment in the resin. Also very prevalent now are UV additive that make the resin have a slight blue/violet tinge, this is to try and minimise the discoloration of the foam and resin.

Buy a new board... :D
I dunno about opening a can of worms, Rick, but scraping off the wax and opening a can of paint is no big deal. The boards all yellow anyway :roll:
Use acrylic paint and have a crack at it. You have nothing to loose and you might learn something :D

Post by Guest » Mon May 08, 2006 10:45 pm

Whoops did a kkk :roll: :roll: :roll:
What a looser :roll:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 08, 2006 10:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:Whoops did a kkk :roll: :roll: :roll:
What a looser :roll:
And forgot to log in :roll: :roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue May 09, 2006 8:59 am

Anonymous wrote: I dunno about opening a can of worms, Rick, but scraping off the wax and opening a can of paint is no big deal. The boards all yellow anyway :roll:
Use acrylic paint and have a crack at it. You have nothing to loose and you might learn something :D
Still wouldn’t do it unless it is just a partial spray. To do a good job that will last is laborious and if you have any paint in areas that are likely to make contact with anything it just tends to wear/scratch/scrape/chip off the paint so you can see what is underneath, even if with a clear coat for protection. Believe me I’ve done it and after a short while they look very pedestrian :shock:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 09, 2006 7:20 pm

Rick, I may not know art but I know what I like :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whats wrong with a grungy looking painted board?
At least you know its yours.
You don't have to try and fake a spray job :?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue May 09, 2006 8:03 pm

Beanpole wrote:Rick, I may not know art but I know what I like :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whats wrong with a grungy looking painted board?
At least you know its yours.
You don't have to try and fake a spray job :?
Nothing, if that’s what you like, but which is worse a yellowing board or some sh:thouse art and there’s definitely some highly expressive rubbish going around (in my book). :D

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri May 12, 2006 5:27 pm

Highly expressive rubbish: now that sounds like a fair description of artwork generally :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: