whats a hot coat?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

marcus
Owl status

whats a hot coat?

Post by marcus » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:16 am

hey anyone know what a hot coat is, seems im confused or the yanks and ausies use different names for it, and how do you do it?
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Doug_Rail

Re: Hot coat

Post by Doug_Rail » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:55 am

There are as far as I know three types of resin to make a surfboard.

Laminating resin is used with the fibreglass cloth.

A 'hot coat' is a layer of sanding or filler resin which is brushed onto the surfboard after it has been laminated. This resin has 'wax in styrene' added to make it easier to sand. Most boards are finished off at this point.

Another gloss coat is sometimes put onto the board to bring a shine or polished look.

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:24 pm

As above us aussies call it "lamanate resin" Refer to one of plattys posts.

pointer

Post by pointer » Sun May 23, 2004 3:21 pm

errr no joshaloha ur a kook, there is laminating resin and hot coat resin u poof

seedy
regular

Post by seedy » Mon May 24, 2004 9:27 am

hey pointy bits you were complaining about stuey calling everyone kooks and poofs, now u r sounding like his apprentice. it is josh so that's ok I guess just found your change of heart amusing. (pointless post sorry)
last laugh's on the smartarse

pointer

Post by pointer » Mon May 24, 2004 7:48 pm

:) ehh what can ya do, they call me a kook, Plus every1 hates him, especially uther. + if they really r a kook then ya cant not callt ehm that

seedy
regular

Post by seedy » Mon May 24, 2004 11:44 pm

careful mate u r getting sum negative vibes (in my opinion) and you will end up like josh. that will only ruin this site for u. u wanna be able to log on and enjoy your self, get somthing positive outta it don't ya. betta to take a few on the chin, hav a laugh and sling it back.

pointer

Post by pointer » Wed May 26, 2004 9:19 pm

ehhh seedy i tried to but stuey has made these forums fcukin annoyin 4 me cos all he eva does is call me a kook n stuff, + ive bn tryin to be nice eva since i started here but tha topic that i posted up turned me into "pointdexter" why should someones thought end up being paid out jus for the hell of it?

pointer

seedy
regular

Post by seedy » Thu May 27, 2004 12:56 am

cos most combatants are a lot older than you and as you'll know when you get there we don't take shit from little upstarts. takin the piss is cool but any hint of aggression is not appreciated-stuey for example is just takin the piss- not being aggressive except when you arc up. like most people he can get it as good as he gives it. I reckon you r ok- take it all with a grain o salt. why r we going on about this here, this is an equipment subject, I will say no more

Post by Guest » Thu May 27, 2004 7:09 pm

yeah seeds, bak ta hot coats, mate if ya get ta know me i aint dat bad...i jus act like an asshole sometimes around randoms

pointer