Please explain these products to me

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Beerfan

Please explain these products to me

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:00 am

Well, we are starting to look around at products, and when it comes to resin, we found there are a few different types. Can someone please explain what these are, and also tell me which ones are needed to make a first time board??

1.) Solar resin additive

2.) Filler resin

3.) Wax in styrene

4.) Styrene monomer.

5.) Laminating resin ( seems obvious ! )

6.)Gloss resin

7.) gen purpose resin

8.) Catalyst.

As a first timer, wouldn't i only need laminating resin, wax in styrene, catalyst, and gen purpose resin??.

Any advice would be much appreciated, or if there is a link or page that saves a long reply, could someone please point me to it.

Thankyou for your patience

platty
regular

Post by platty » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:42 pm

Laminating resin: used to to glass the board.

Filler resin ( called hotcoat in the USA ) This is laminating resin with wax in styrene and few additives to stop it sagging on vertical surfaces. The wax in styrene comes to the surface during the curing process and gives you the non sticky surface which is easy to sand. This is brushed on after all the glass has been applied.

Gloss resin: is basically filler resin, but thinner. It is brushed on after the filler coat has been sanded. Once cured it is wet and dry sanded and polished.

Personally, I buy only laminating resin and add the W in S myself and don't worry about gloss resin. Lam resin with W in S added will polish up just as well as gloss resin. When doing ding repairs I use filler resin. It cuts out one stage. You don't need to do a filler coat before you sand.

Solar hardener is a crystal like powder that is added to resin instead of catalyst. Once exposed to UV rays it gells in seconds. So you need to be out of the sun when using this product.

Wax in styrene. is Wax in styrene. This is added to resin to make filler and gloss.

Styrene monomer. Resin is made up of a whole lot of chemicals. Resin is basicly a hard sudstance. Stryene is what makes it into a liquid. Resin is, depending on its purpose is about 40 to 60 percent styrene.

GP resin is resin used in boatbuilding and other moulding processes. It is not a clear resin like surfboard resin.

Calalyst or MEKP ( methyl ethyl ketone peroxide ) is what makes resin go hard. This is to be handled with great care. It will burn you. If exposed to bare skin. Do not mop up spills with rags. It can cause spontanious combustion. If you do soak the rag in water after mopping up.

So to make a board you will need.

Laminating resin.

Filler resin.

Gloss resin. (Filler will do the same job as gloss.)

Catalyst.

Plus some acetone to clean your tools, brushes etc.

I have a link to a pdf download on a surfboard construction book. It was published in the 70's but the process is pretty much the same today as it was back then. I will find it and post it. platty.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:46 pm

fong

Post by fong » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:52 pm

nice link platty :arrow: beerfan if u real keen...buy your glass off a surfboard builder...and ask if u could watch him glass one up.....u will learn heaps in 20 mins make your 1st go so much better...
p.s don't 4 get...u need good masking tape :lol:

Beerfan

Products

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:33 am

Thanks a bunch fella's, you have made things so much easier for me!. Thanks for that link platty, it's a ripper!. Good idea fong, there is a guy about 5 mins down the road, i'll give him a call, and see if he'll be willing to let me watch him do his "magic" haha!, i have thought about it before, but didn't know if he'd be keen to show me how to do something he makes a living out of, but, i'll give him a ring.

Thanks once again fella's

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:24 am

Excellent link Platty.