Questions about an old board

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Beerfan

Questions about an old board

Post by Beerfan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:29 am

Myself and a mate are keen to soon make a copy of his 9' mal, which is our first attempt at making a board. However, i have an old short board in my shed, a 5 ' 10ish skipp, and i was thinking of sanding it back a bit, and adding another layer of glass on top of that, and then adding a hot coat. I would be really only doing this for practice. Is this a good idea??.
Also, If im going to do it, will i be able to use this board when its finished??. Im a bit worried, as its about 4 inches shorter than me, and its only about 2 inches thick! .I thought that by adding more glass, it would give the board a bit more bouyancy, and i might be able to ride it, but im 85kg!.

I guess at worst, it will be a bit of glassing practice for the mal, but if it works o.k, i'd like to have a rideable board, if possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated, tah fella's.

fong

Post by fong » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:11 pm

hey mate :lol: adding glass won't add bouyence ( howeva u spell it :cry: :oops: ) only sink it more :D

BUT i think this is a great idea to wet out a bit of resin on and get a feel 4 the art :!: i think it's a great idea :arrow: DO IT... much better make mistakes on a board u don't really plan on surfin :idea:

u can always spray it up...screw in 4 legs...hey presto...coffee table :idea:

trust me....more than one my shapes now holds a tv remote :wink:

Beerfan

old board

Post by Beerfan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:30 am

Thanks mate, i'll give it a go. So how do i make sure a board is more "floaty" haha??, would i make the foam thicker??. Also, would i have to sand it right back to foam ,or can i just rough it up, and add a coat on top of the glass thats already there??