Complete novice questions

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Beerfan

Complete novice questions

Post by Beerfan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:42 am

I have a few questions about making a board, which would be a copy of a mates 9,1" mal

1.) What is the easiest foam to use/work with??. Also, where would you get it/them from in sydney??

2. ) Also, what would be the best glass, and coatings to use with the above foam ??.

3.) Fins??, we will be looking to make the fin removable for different fins etc.

4. ) Any tips and pointing to websites,books, and general advice would be more than welcome!. This is not an overnight project for us, and we will be going very slowly!.

5.) Any golden rules, and/or crucial stages??

Also, if there is any reference to this sort of stuff, could you please let me know, as i dont want people to explain things twice if they have already been covered :D

Lastly, we know that the final product will most likely me a little dodgy, but were keen to do this, and as long as it floats and glides o.k, we'll be happy!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:02 pm

Two alternatives Beerbaron, both would probably have everything you need including fin boxes (nobody retails FCS plugs so if you want those they will have to be retro-fitted):

• Dion Chemicals, 180 Harbord Rd Brookvale 9905 5157
• Surfblanks Aust. 11 West St Brookvale 9938 3300

You may have to order a blank nominating a rocker*, stringer type and width, etc as they are not necessarily held in stock. *Different shapers have their prefered rockers, some are documented and you can get what they use.

Get Shaping 101 and Glassing 101 video/DVD for a fairly comprehensive run through. I think both the above also sell these.

Strongly recommend if you really like what you shape get someone else to glass it for you asthey’ll also sand and fit a fin bow and/or FCS. It’ll probably cost around $350 (guesstimate only), but it would be well worth avoiding the potential disaster and you would need to spend a fair bit of money to get all the gear together if you don’t.

Warning: it’s a process, but it can be very rewarding 8) good luck! PM me if you think you need more info.