McCoy nugget

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

funboarder

McCoy nugget

Post by funboarder » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:05 pm

Does anyone own or have ridden a McCoy Nugget? what are they like in small and big waves? single fin or thruster? given their larger volume can you still duck dive them? how do the tuflite versions compare with the glass hand shaped? I am thinking of getting one and I would like some honest opinion; hard to separate the advertising hype from the real opinions. also thinking of a webber 'compact disc' - any first hand info on these? thanks

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:18 pm

I used to have a 6'6" nugget. Loved it. Loved it a lot.

It was excellent for waves up to about shoulder/head high- any bigger and I found it a little too loose so I'd switch to my 7' Aloha.

Smaller fatter waves are great - these days people are doing the same sort of thing with "fish" type boards.

I didn't find it particularly hard to duck dive despite the higher flotation. NB: I weigh 85kg.

Can't help you with Tufflite except to suggest you should go smaller because tufflites tend to be pretty buoyant.

I haven't ridden single fins for many years - why would you except for nostalgia? The nugget and three fins is the ONLY way to go - get FCS if you want to play around with fins.

funboarder

Post by funboarder » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:16 pm

thanks cambo. I appreciate the advice. looking for a bit of an all round board ie small to medium wave. i have a board with a thruster setup, thought a single might be a bit different. singles are reputed to work very will with the nuggets shape ie fast and smooth and still no slide slippage on steep faces. McCoy makes the boards with a fin box for singles or glassed on fins for thruster.
cheers

funboarder

Post by funboarder » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:06 am

Thanks Fong. appreciate the feedback.
hey Cambo, you mentioned to get FCS if i want to play around with fins - I am told that mccoy only does glass-ons. is this correct?
thanks again

funboarder

Post by funboarder » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:10 am

fong, forgot to ask - nugget of fish? after having both that do similar things which is better. looking at the niche, I thought a fish might be an alternative. the webber "CD" is another similar board. Ta :)

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:13 pm

I've owned a 6'4" and a 6'8" McCoy nugget. The 6'4" was great until it got a bit water logged and I put on a bit of weight. The 6'8" was a bit too big. They're great boards for an intermediate surfer provided you get the right size, and I can't say what is the best size for you.

Not every high volume surfboard is the same. All due respect to Hayden but I doubt he does as good a full volume shortboard as Geoff McCoy. I got another high volume shortboard from a local shaper and...it doesn't go vertical. But I never had a real problem with that on a McCoy, and it came off the top great.

I also demoed a 6'6" Tufflite version from Dripping Wet having gone an earlier surf on my 6'8" earlier that morning. The Tufflite had less drive and direction. I can't say why precisely except I recko the fins might be the difference. Anyway based on that experience I'd suggest getting a conventionally glassed board.

So, in short take recommendations about length from Geoff or the retailer. Get a conventionally glassed board. Don't get a Surftech. Don't get a protech glass job...go the whole enchilada. Good luck. Buy me a 6'6" while you're at it...I want a new one myself.
Last edited by buzzy on Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:17 pm

funboarder wrote:fong, forgot to ask - nugget of fish? after having both that do similar things which is better. looking at the niche, I thought a fish might be an alternative. the webber "CD" is another similar board. Ta :)
I also own a 6'0" Dick Van Straalen fish (as well as a 6'6" nugget style egg and having surfed 6'4" and 6'8" McCoy nuggets and owned a 6'6" Miller Waterskate...I know my high volume shortboards).

The big differences between a Fish and a Nugget are;

* A Fish is faster down the line.
* A fish is looser.
* A nugget has better drive through turns.
* A nugget can do mid face turns and a fish can't, or not so well anyway.

I reckon a nugget is a better allround board but in the right conditions (fast down the line waves in small to moderate surf) a fish is a better bet. A fish looks way cooler though.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:19 pm

...oh, and a McCoy nugget goes vertical better than a fish.

funboarder

Post by funboarder » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:58 am

great info thanks Buzzy. you mentioned the miller waterskate; that is another option. how does it compare?? that is another of my options. love to buy you one too mate, but not really in the budget :wink:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:07 pm

For my tastes I prefer a McCoy Nugget to a Miller Waterskate.

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:42 am

Funboarder,

What's the application of the baord?
Is it to be your only board?
What's your surfing experience and skill level?
Where do you normally surf?
What are you surfing now?

Answer those questions and you might find some better tailored advice.

Matt

funboarder

Post by funboarder » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:20 am

Thanks Buzzy

Matt, thanks, see your point. just trying to get a broad sweep of opinion without tying anyone down.
to answer your questions:
plan to use as my main board, unfortunately only once per week (little more if i am lucky). beach breaks. I am 40, and only took up surfing at 38, so you can figure my skill level is pretty average. only ever owned a 7'6" and now a 7'4" funboard. the 7'4" is actually quite good (Kym Thompson watercooled). just looking for something that is a little more lively but stable, and paddles well.
have had a couple of waves on a mate's 6'2" Webber CD - I liked this. fits the bill of shorter, more manouvreable but very stable. this board is a contender too, but just seeing what else is out there. so far it is between the Webber CD; waterskate and Nugget.
Thanks to all for your advice.
Mick

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:11 am

I'll admit straight out I'm not a great admirer of the McCoy Nugget for my surfing-despite the fact that Geoff McCoy is one of the best shapers of all time-anywhere.

And I'll disclose that I was a team rider in the late 70's early 80's for McCoy. Also worked in a N Beaches surf shop for about 5 years in the late 90's (NOT selling McCoys)-but been hanging around surf shops since the mid 60s as a surf shop rug rat.

I don't ride a Nugget, I've ridden one for a 'have a go' type deal. I do have an early 80's Tri-Zap in my ever growing quiver (not a totally dissimilar board to the current Nugget). I have ridden one of Greg's Discs and I have a much loved mid-90s Simon Anderson fish-and Grant Miller is a great bloke and shaper.

On the Nugget-the Nugget does have an application and you're pretty much the perfect specs for such a board-what with age, experience and the frequency and type of surfing you'll do and with it as your primary board.

They are a VERY forgiving board-very easy to paddle, easy to get into waves on and once on the wave have, albeit somewhat limited, manoeuvrability which will suit your application. They are NOT a high performance vertical surfing type board, however that is not their purpose and not your level besides.

Greg's Discs are slightly higher performance than the Nugget, but for you the downside would be a loss in ease of riding. A Fish (or Watersakte) is a similar proposition. All of these boards are built for 'flatter' less vertical riding and all have easy wave catching and inherent board speed (due to their volume and flatter rockers).

You'll probably find the Nugget (if new) to be more expensive than either a fish or the CD. Best bet is to get a ride on each of the boards in similar conditions-I'd think at your level, you'd be better off on something like the Nugget, with it's volume and soft rails-depends upon how challenged you want to be and your learning curve going forward.

Hope that's all of some help in your decision making-feel free to come back here for more input.

Matt

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:59 pm

i am in a similar situation to you. i've been surfing for year , am relatively geriatric to be a beginner and need to get a smaller board

i have a 6'10" mccoy nugget (21" by 3 1/4") but I am very small (48kg) so it is a great beginner board. now i just need something which I can get out back a little easier.

I had a good chat with Geoff McCoy via email. He was very helpful if you want to discuss board size and was very keen to give good advice rather than sell me a board which might be too small.

No doubt Grant Miller would also be helpful if you had any questions for them

He suggested a 6'4" for me, given that i still can't surf well.

i have seen at least five second hand Mccoy nuggets (ranging from 6'6" up to 7'2) around on ebay and Northern beaches surf shops over the last few months for about $500-$600, but none down near my size. Perhaps that would make them more affordable

On the other hand, I was also wondering whether I'd notice the subtleties between a Miller Waterskate and a Nugget.

Anyway, good luck

funboarder

Post by funboarder » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:11 pm

Thanks Matt. i appreciate your candor and advice. nugget is ahead by a nose at this point (altho I have ridden 6'2" webber CD with no problem and quite liked it). why is it you are not a nugget fan? not manouvreable enough for you? do you like the other high volume short boards like the waterskate or CD? any suggestions on an alternative? I am about 65kg, but to tell the truth I like the easier paddling that volume offers altho duck diving can be more difficult (how do you find the nuggets duck diving?, the CD wasn't too bad). have tried friends' low volume short board - barely float and obviously more difficult to surf. I don't mind a bit of challenge but mostly like to have fun! as the bloke in the surf shop said to me "I think you have left your run for world champion too late", so why bust my buns on low volume if i can find something that is more forgiving and gives me a weekly dose of stoke. since you are obviously well clued up on this ; what do you think of the nugget single fins? Geoff McCoy seems pretty keen on them, says that they are faster into waves and down the line, will still turn and don't slip on steep faces. what is your opinion? thanks again

Thanks to you too 'betty boop'. good info, I will check ebay, altho as i amafter maybe around 6'4" as well we may be bidding against each other :wink:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:04 pm

funboarder, one of my many boards has been a Webber Afterburner. A fantastic board for me...frankly when I'm fit that type of design is optimal for me. My afterburner snapped clean in two in small surf after about 8 surfs. I had a number of chats in the water with other Afterburner owners and ex afterburner owners and it's pretty much a universal story...Webbers are prone to snap etc.

So, while Greg Webber is undoubtedly one of the world's best shapers I'd be wary of getting a CD unless you ordered it direct and got a stronger than usual glass job.

But on reading your self description I'd say just wander into Dripping Wet or Six Inch Glass etc, whacking $800 on the credit card and marching out with a new McCoy.

I haven't surfed a single fin in a long time and I reckon we've moved on now. You probably don't know of Cheyne Horan but Cheyne was world no 2 for an eon back in the late 70's/early 80's. Most people reckon he would've been world champ except, influenced by McCoy, he stayed on a single fin when everyone else went to thrusters. MR, for instance, says he reckons inferior equipment stopped Cheyne getting a world title. Single fins are fine but I wouldn't go to the trouble of custom ordering one. Just buy, Buy now. Buy often.

funboarder

Post by funboarder » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:17 pm

Buzzy, funny you should say that about the Webber boards because the CD does seem quite light, and I did wonder about longevity. Fair call on the single fin, I have heard that said of Cheyne Horan before. Between you and 'loco4olas' it looks like the nugget is the go. cheers.