Wetties

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

stuey

Wetties

Post by stuey » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:37 pm

Best and worst wetties?
My worst- competion between a custom made 'worst suit' 5/3 that the rubber wore through near my chest and underarms after 6 surfs, and water eternally enter thru the zip meanin ya had to duckdive with yar head backwards instead of forwards, and a Quickie 5/3 zipperless that separated in 15cm sections at the seams of both legs in one season.
Best- O'neil zipperless zen. Warm to hot and super flexible. Only prob was ya I was always late to work tryin ta get the bastard off in the shower - and I am talkin about the wetsuit!

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:19 pm

i need a good wettie. anyone wanna buy me an oniell sealed steamer? haha i am hopeful
iv got a good springy, billabong foil i think...its heaps good

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:35 pm

Great topic Stuey :)

The Rip Curl Elastos really have won my vote. You can barely feel that you're wearing one (even a 4x3 steamer), and besides a high comfort factor, they really keep the warmth in and are easy to get in and out of.

Worst? I had a really bad O'Neill, which was exacerbated by the poor customer service (however this was 12 years ago).

I think that wetsuit technology is now coming to to a peak - how much better can they get than what we have? Flexibility is awesome right across the different brands, and warmth isn't remotely an issue anymore (well, not for me anyway - even in SA and Vicco during wintertime). The next few years will be interesting indeed :)

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:27 pm

id rate o'niell as my personal favourite. theyv always been much better than the other major brands ('ong, quik & rip curl) until now. we have the slickskin technology from rip curl which has proven to be a great success and the cell from quiksilver which seems great. has anyone got a cell wettie?

CLS

Post by CLS » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:03 pm

Yeh I have been through a few of the big brands and have gotten a couple of customs through Fox (used to be next door to my shaper).

My fav would have to be Rip Curl, The Elastos are great, just bought a slickskin ultimate elasto for next winter, love it, flexible as, heaps warms, in fact so warm that I had to buy a Rip Curl Elasto springy for when the water was only cool. The only thing that sh1ts me is the neck velcro, seems to grab hold of the inside of the wettie and make a mess of the material. Doesn't sem to be a durability issue though.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:03 pm

How long you guys reckon a wetty should last? my qs springsuit has virtually worn out after a year, though i've used it a lot. maybe next springy should be a rip curl slick skin. glad to see they got rid of those comic book "muscle panels", or at least made them black.

stuey

Post by stuey » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:36 pm

Guesto, No BS my old rip curl dawn patrol got the flick just last year. I got the bugger for me 21st! nearly went 19 years with the thing. Now, obsolescence is written in. Not a bad song that too, planned obsolescence by which aussie band???????

lrsa_04
Local

Post by lrsa_04 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:46 pm

i reckon oneill are the best the physco steamers are the bet things i have ever worn. no water gets in and if i any seems to get in through the zipper it dosnt get to the skin it goes out a little hole in the back. there so good i look forward to the winter waters!

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:27 pm

Im still stoked with my peak wettie.

kateontour

O'neill Psycho

Post by kateontour » Fri May 14, 2004 12:14 pm

Just bought an O'neill and it's amazing. The most comfy, stretchy, warm suit I've ever owned. Shoulders and arms aren't inhibited at all.
Quite tight wrists and ankles.
The neck seal is excellent - the only brand which fits real snug and has the smoothskin on the inside.
The zip and back flap thing with drain hole really works too after a few ducksives.
The seals are real stretchy too. When I pissed for the first time it took f**kin ages for the piss to get flushed out!
The only prob is the body is a bit long so does fill up a wee bit after an hour.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri May 14, 2004 12:29 pm

I had a cell for last winter which was fecking fantastic until a small hole appeared at the bottom of the zip. My mate who also got one got the same hole and his ended up ripping open to about 20cm in one session!

That said, I sent it back and Qs replaced it with the new model and so far no hole. Its the warmest wetty I've ever had and it's not very restrictive... Can't really compare it to any other latest wetties on the market though coz I aint tried them out...

wheresKONG
Grommet

Post by wheresKONG » Tue May 18, 2004 9:25 am

agreed its hard to compare...
because you never really buy to steamers in the same season.
thats said.
i had one of the first season elasto's it was good... but broke down fairly quickly....
got a bong solution now.. its near perfect.!!!
great suit.
BROKE..... will surf for money..!!

Rug
Local

Post by Rug » Tue May 18, 2004 2:16 pm

_cant_touch_this wrote:i need a good wettie. anyone wanna buy me an oniell sealed steamer?
Aaaah no!!!!

Sorry to rub it in but i just got the top of the line O'neill steamer. Haven't used it yet due to the warm water around the Gong area but from what i've read (these forums) I could get a little sweaty in it when i finally do wear it.
The best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun.

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

TwoSchoonersThanks

RipCurl steamer

Post by TwoSchoonersThanks » Tue May 18, 2004 7:44 pm

Just bought an Ultimate Elasto - toasty!
The water stays out, and it's not too much effort to get in/out of.
(the plastic bag trick seems to cut the in/out time in half)

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed May 19, 2004 2:37 pm

Rug wrote:
_cant_touch_this wrote:i need a good wettie. anyone wanna buy me an oniell sealed steamer?
Aaaah no!!!!

Sorry to rub it in but i just got the top of the line O'neill steamer. Haven't used it yet due to the warm water around the Gong area but from what i've read (these forums) I could get a little sweaty in it when i finally do wear it.
ahaha rug ya dont have ta worry anymore. walloper sold me his near-new RC elasto sealed number...its pretty awesome and has a littel room to grow into so it should last me a few winters. the only problem is the piss stayin inside the wettie for ages!!!

stuey

Post by stuey » Thu May 20, 2004 5:53 pm

Walloper's piss or yours mate? hehehehhe

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu May 20, 2004 6:11 pm

hahaha he told me (better not be lting ya bastard!) hed only worn it twice and haddnt even pissed in it yet...i hope. doesnt matter mate cos iv cleansed it with plenty o wettie-warmers since then!!!