Removing small scratches ADVISE NEEDED

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Kauffy
regular

Removing small scratches ADVISE NEEDED

Post by Kauffy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi guys,

So I have a glossy cherry red takayama scorpion that has unfortunately been dragged across a coarse surface and left a few white scratch marks.

My question is (as they are not deep) can they be buffed or sanded out? I really don't want to take anything harsh to the board (its my baby and will be hung on the wall saved for a select few surf sessions)

So anyone have any methods and materials to remove these scratches?

Advise appreciated!!

Chris

Kauffy
regular

Re: Removing small scratches ADVISE NEEDED

Post by Kauffy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Cummmmmaaahhhhn no one have ANY ideas?? :D:

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:26 pm

No ideas here but I got a little story for you instead. I was out in the backyard yesterday when my youngest came out to tell me he'd picked up the iPad (on which I am currently typing) only to discover some 'scratches' on it. I went inside to have a look to find that they weren't scratches at all but rather the screen was shattered. His attempt at deflecting the suspicion away from himself was a total failure & it didn't take long to grind the little fcuker down & get him to admit that he'd dropped it.

That's the second time he has shattered an iPad. The last time Apple actually replaced it but I reckon we'll be pushing our luck trying it on again. But nevertheless I might send the missus in to give it a go. Maybe if you tried something similar?

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Karlos wrote:No ideas here but I got a little story for you instead. I was out in the backyard yesterday when my youngest came out to tell me he'd picked up the iPad (on which I am currently typing) only to discover some 'scratches' on it. I went inside to have a look to find that they weren't scratches at all but rather the screen was shattered. His attempt at deflecting the suspicion away from himself was a total failure & it didn't take long to grind the little fcuker down & get him to admit that he'd dropped it.

That's the second time he has shattered an iPad. The last time Apple actually replaced it but I reckon we'll be pushing our luck trying it on again. But nevertheless I might send the missus in to give it a go. Maybe if you tried something similar?

That should buff out fine with a bit of cutting compound and some 0000 steel wool.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:37 am

andy2476 wrote:0000 steel wool.
Well there ya go ... steel wool actually comes in grades ... and to think I've only ever used it to scrub pots. Will wonders never cease ... ?

Will Wonders would be a pretty cool name.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.