Fins...

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Fins...

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:55 am

ric_vidal wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: even a great system like Futures has taken a long time to really find a strong foothold in Australia.
It's not that great a system. You obviously haven't worked in repairs. :wink: Saw some god awful things with ALL the systems.
yeah you're prolly right there ric, I can only speak from my own experience with the system, which with Futures is pretty much entirely bloody good, fin range is awesome, they lock in at the base, and it's a simple quick insertion.

but yeah then again I'm not fixing that many boards

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 am

Don't worry Nick, neither am I, fixing that is, saw the light… though god knows I may have to go back to it.

As I've said many times before, I have a problem with all the systems for fairly obvious and fundamental reasons… resin bond to the materials in use and the fact they are stuck into compressible foam. And I know for a fact most systems aren't properly installed, with Futures though there are probably less shortcuts.

Saw too many cracks, areas of de-lamination and damn horrible messes when things go pear-shaped. They are fiddly to install and an even worse nightmare to fix.

I do recall one young Tahitian pro brought in one of his boards and an entire flap of foam and the Futures box had come away… from turning. I could tell equally bad stories for any other system.

Whatever the system, still beats stickin' glass-ons.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as longevity in surfboards or much else associated with the sport it seems.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Have some Futures Controllers....as full Quad set I'm not a fan, not loose enough for me, but I like the upright rear fins with smaller plastic front fins, seems a bit more pivoty for a quad which is an ok combo. Other have glassed on MR twin size with 2 3/4 rear quad set up on a 6'2, fun and very whippy but hold and drive, like it.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 am

So, any more verdicts of C-Drive fins?

I ended up getting a quad set, medium fronts and small quad backs. Was a little disappointed the rears where single foiled, that never rubs well with me in a quad.

The drive bonus was noticeable however the skittiness of tracky to release and back was a little bizarre.

Anyone been doing some decent surfing on these in thrusters now? I remember NC mentioning he found magic with the combination of a Maurice super deep single. Any developments? Did they stick NC?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:So, any more verdicts of C-Drive fins?

I ended up getting a quad set, medium fronts and small quad backs. Was a little disappointed the rears where single foiled, that never rubs well with me in a quad.

The drive bonus was noticeable however the skittiness of tracky to release and back was a little bizarre.

Anyone been doing some decent surfing on these in thrusters now? I remember NC mentioning he found magic with the combination of a Maurice super deep single. Any developments? Did they stick NC?
Yeah they've stayed in those boards, I kinda feel like the complexity of the back edges gives you a lot of feel for turns on those super concaves. The concaves lift so hard it's easy to lose much feel for the actual water.

Can't imagine using them on a quad, there's enough going on with four back edges as it is without adding more stuff, but it'd prolly be a question of the right board.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 pm

saltman wrote:they come straight out of the same factory as FCS
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Surf-Eclipse- ... _pgn=2[url][/url]
FCS dropped Henry a while ago... but that won't stop him referring to them in the present tense to convince suckers he might actually fill an order for them.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: it's a quad set with the front set the big swept back high aspect fins and the back set these little semicircles with just one tab, so they can move in the back half of the fin.
Is the set up something along these lines?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:10 am

If you know where to look there are plenty of FCS fins out there being sold for a fraction of the price, just without the FCS logo and colour change. Straight out of the same factory. You would be kind of crazy to pay the mega prices being asked for the same set of fins with an FCS logo on em. I can't remember the last time I paid any good coin for FCS fins. They are an utter rip off in my opinion. About $40 will get you a good set of fins with carbon and other latest materials along with the latest foils.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:15 am

Natho wrote:If you know where to look there are plenty of FCS fins out there being sold for a fraction of the price, just without the FCS logo and colour change. Straight out of the same factory. You would be kind of crazy to pay the mega prices being asked for the same set of fins with an FCS logo on em. I can't remember the last time I paid any good coin for FCS fins. They are an utter rip off in my opinion. About $40 will get you a good set of fins with carbon and other latest materials along with the latest foils.
Orrrrr..

Ebay?

Forked out full $$ for a K2.1 set the other day

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:37 pm

saltman wrote:
dUg wrote:
saltman wrote:they come straight out of the same factory as FCS
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Surf-Eclipse- ... _pgn=2[url][/url]
FCS dropped Henry a while ago... but that won't stop him referring to them in the present tense to convince suckers he might actually fill an order for them.
Dug - not sure who Henry is ?? but definetly not the name of the guy who showed me his garage full of fins - so I doubt he would have trouble filling orders
I'd say there might be a couple reading this quietly cringing at my mentioning his name. :shock:

Let's just say Henry is the Ninja of surfboard fin manufacture, and he credits himself with pioneering the Resin Transfer Method in sailboard fin manufacture. Up until about 2009, if you saw a set of fibreglass fins in a surf shop, Henry probably made them.
Natho wrote:If you know where to look there are plenty of FCS fins out there being sold for a fraction of the price, just without the FCS logo and colour change. Straight out of the same factory. You would be kind of crazy to pay the mega prices being asked for the same set of fins with an FCS logo on em. I can't remember the last time I paid any good coin for FCS fins. They are an utter rip off in my opinion. About $40 will get you a good set of fins with carbon and other latest materials along with the latest foils.
Almost all I have seen use the same standard NACA foil the big brands use, and just reverse engineer everything else.

Definitely a huge rip off, especially given the wholsale price in the US ( we are ignoring online prices here... ) is now just over half what it is in Oz.

Newer customers copying FCS fins, sticking their logos on them and getting them pumped out of the same factory will have a product equal to FCS / Kinetic / Futures. Subsequent orders are never as timely or as well made. Some guys are on their fourth brand incarnation. :!:

fins
Grommet

Post by fins » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:05 pm

... has anyone got any PHOTOS of fins they have made , please ?

is that allowed on a BOARD DESIGN forum , is what I am asking , because ....

dot dot dot

[my username is fins , for a reason .... in case people are wondering ... I don't mind a bit of [fin] tinkering , every now and again ....]

:)

elitebloom

Post by elitebloom » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi There, been reading the posts and seen that it would be great if one could customize their fins using the colors and logos of your own. :-D-: :-D-: We are going to start a new project that could make this happen and provide customizable high quality fins at very good prices. :B If you wanna help make this real please take 3 mins of your time to complete this survey using the link below.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NT39N92

Cheers,
Constantino

elitebloom

Post by elitebloom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:35 am

Wouldn't it be great if you could design your own surfboard fin? Check it out now !

We finally got the site running at http://www.thefinfactory.com

Choose the right set of fins for your ride and then select the material color and add the logo you want. We will custom make your fin at super cheap prices. Only one condition if you want to get great discounts: order 3 sets or more. Make a present to you fellow friends and family and get up to 40% off.
Attachments
logo small.png
logo small.png (12.62 KiB) Viewed 6553 times

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:29 am

Can anyone vouch for their quality? :roll:

elitebloom

Post by elitebloom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:21 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Can anyone vouch for their quality? :roll:
Hi, we got a 1 month warranty if anything happens to the fins.
Actually we are planning to make a logo design contest and give out fins to the finalists.

Rgs,
CK

elitebloom

Post by elitebloom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:42 pm

not bad, maybe you could give it some color to spice it up?