New Hollow board

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

spork
barnacle

New Hollow board

Post by spork » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:24 am

Yes, I know I said I was not keen to make another just yet, but I'v got 6 weeks of holidays coming up slap bang in Nor-easter season. So I'v ordered some wood, a pile of Pawlonia basically. Mid size bundle is what Surfing Green call it. I'm going to have a go at making one from scratch, no kit, no supplied templates etc. Should be fun, and a challenge.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: New Hollow board

Post by alakaboo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:54 am

I'm interested.

As a woodworking person, any advice on fixing up a table that has been very poorly treated?
It's solid Huon pine, been left outside for years, wood seems okay apart from surface weathering, but the boards are badly cupped.
assume I have to take the top boards off, plane them back, put them in the sun up the other way until they flatten out, then reattach them?

I have zero practical skill and few tools. Plane, rotary sander etc.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:22 am

Drawknives are fun, but not for the inexperienced. I stick with the spokeshave. Hey Alakaboo, that table is going to need some serious work to get fixed. The cupping is pretty much irreversible. If it was me I would pull it apart and take the planks to the local joinery (unless you know someone at a high school) and have them put through a thicknesser. You will lose a bit of size but it will pretty much bring it back to a shape that could be used. Huon pine is very nice timber!
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks mate.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Wow, I'm humbled to be compared to JD, his stuff blows me away! Yeah, had a paddle at backside MR on the Shark Biscuit this morning, its was small but fun. Wingnut, did you used to be on ASL forums?, Iv a feeling we talked before, I was 'Nikko' on there.
I've a mind to shape me a mid sized board, around the 7' -7'6". A round pin thruster with a similar bottom shape to the biscuits single-double-spiral V. More curve in the outline and through the rocker, much less volume in the nose, in fact I'm aiming at similar volume to the 6'2" biscuit, which is far more buoyant than I was expecting. So, maximum thickness will be 2/1/2" or thereabouts(the biscuit is 3" thick). I'm looking to make a board specifically for the fat local break that my 8'1" Tolhurst mal loves so much. I'm finding that the mal shape is pretty restricting for a guy like me who came from pintail sailboards that love to carve a turn off a long rail line. Anyway, that's my excuse for making the thing. Here's a pic of my 8' pintail wavejumper taken at Ho'okipa - Maui in 1992. Its a Bob Margetts shape (I think he's still with 'Mad Dog' in Byron), very fast and incredibly manoeuvrable, even in the mad winds over there.
sailboard.jpg
sailboard.jpg (57.7 KiB) Viewed 7416 times
Last edited by spork on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Stewart

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Hope you've got plenty of clamps.
http://wollumbin-woodsticks.blogspot.com.au/

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

spork wrote:Hey Alakaboo, that table is going to need some serious work to get fixed. The cupping is pretty much irreversible. If it was me I would pull it apart and take the planks to the local joinery (unless you know someone at a high school) and have them put through a thicknesser. You will lose a bit of size but it will pretty much bring it back to a shape that could be used. Huon pine is very nice timber!
The timber is driftwood collected from Strahan in the 60s, I think. My grandfather made the table. It was crappy wood to begin with , and is without question his worst piece of woodwork, but it is going on the deck so it doesn't have to be great and I don't feel bad about butchering it.

Well, I took the plane to it just to see what it was like to work, and after removing the varnish the sun and rain combined to flatten out most of the warping.
I'll still probably need to take it to get thicknessed, but it isn't quite as bad as I first though.
Nice timber, soft and smooth. And the bugs love the smell.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Sounds like its worth the effort, even just for the history of it, imagine your kids saying " yeah, my dad made this from driftwood that his grandad found off Strahan back in the last century" Way cool I'm thinking........wish It was me doing it.
Roy Stewart

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:06 am

Well you probably know its used in boat building so it handles the elements pretty well. I was going to suggest stripping it, hosing it down and putting it in the sun to remove the cupping but you have allready done it yourself. Its a fantastic timber and it will reward the time you put into it. Comes up a great buttery yellow. I remember seeing an old telegraph pole or similar at the Wood Show a few years ago. It had been planed and polished in one area and it shone against the ordinary looking undressed part.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah, have made a template, kind of a MSF nose and a Tollhurst tail, pics to follow.
Roy Stewart

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:39 am

20121203_072748[1].jpg
20121203_072748[1].jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
Here's a couple of templates i'm looking at. I leave em standing in the back of the garage and look at em till one jumps at me. The one on the left has a scaled up biscuit nose (look carefully and you can see the original outline) and the tail off my Tollhurst mal. The other one is basically the mal with a foot chopped out of the middle, I think it looks a bit like the Mctavish sumo. I leaning toward that shape, especially for the waves its aimed at (BH).Both are about 6'10".
Roy Stewart

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Yeah, cut from cardboard and folded so they'll stand up. Becouse I'm making it from wood i don't need a solid template as the shape is dictated more from the cross spars and chine log. I will need to figure out the rocker too as that is dictated by the centre keel and rocker bench.
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 pm

One on the right looks a bit bloated in the front half.
I'd take the back 2/3rds of the one on the right, and the nose 1/3rd of the left.

Do you have to compensate for materials? i.e. wood board will sit lower in the water due to density.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:21 pm

That's exactly what the left one is, two thirds of the right with a different nose. I rekon my wooden board sits higher in the water than the equivalent PU biscuit I owned, so no im not looking to make it wide for that reason. The local wave is fat, so fat I usually ride a mal when it gets big, just so I can get into em. I had a lot of success with the 6'1" wooden biscuit, but when it gets sizey its a bit of a handfull to turn. So the hybrid short mal shape will give me paddle power and a narrower tail to get the thing on rail. Hopefully.
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Ah, re-read your original post.
They didn't look quite the same, must be the image. Don't mind me.

If you are going to be competing with mal riders, i.e. catching the wave when it is still fat, then I would keep the volume in the nose and make the tail even narrower.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Well I meant width with volume as a proxy. As a comparison with the other template.
I had a board that shape with a diamond pin that was fun as hell

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:05 am

I'm thinking of calling the new board 'The Taint"
Roy Stewart

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:39 pm

I like it Matticus. I just had the biggest weekend in the shed thanks to the 30knot NE'ster fanging down the coast. I spent a few hours matching and gluing planks for the deck and bottom of the board. Also made a cedar centre strip for the bottom using three scarf joints. Then, fark how do you replicate a board without template
20121209_072809.jpg
20121209_072809.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
You measure and cut and then do it again. The cross spars where not too bad, but the foil...arggghhhhh! drove me nuts. Made three different ones, then a combo of two. Take a foot out of a mal and then figure out the rocker fool! Needless to say my head is spinning and I've walked away...for now. In the morning I will make a decision
Roy Stewart