forgive me ....

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

pirate_agenda
regular

forgive me ....

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 pm

after hand shaping 40-50 boards i have just dropped my first file off for a computer cut... i feel like a sellout! but I guess it's what everyones doing these days eh??
<:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: forgive me ....

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 pm

pirate_agenda wrote:after hand shaping 40-50 boards i have just dropped my first file off for a computer cut... i feel like a sellout! but I guess it's what everyones doing these days eh??
<:
Just contemplating the same path, PA. Apart from which, you are still designing and finishing it. For me, it's more about 'where' rather than 'how' at the moment. So as much about dust and noise minimisation than anything.

Just check the cut when you get it, measured plenty that aren't symmetrical despite what people think about their accuracy.

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:08 pm

10-15 mm or more error in the outline is not uncommon.... so many variables - blank density, blank loader a couple of mill off centre on nose or tail on the laser points, over a 6ft or longer cut blank = an error, temp of the cutting room a cold winters morning cut compared to a hot summer arvo cut is a big difference thin noses thick tails or vise versa but the planshape easily evened up with a few more passes with the gauze. $25 for a machine cut is money well spent, 2o minutes of fine tuning and your ready to laminate.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:53 pm

nothing to forgive mate, the main reason im not doing it is because I feel I cant do it on a machine before I can do it well on my own. Plus im like matticus, I would miss out on the fun if I did it by machine
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:I wonder how long it will be until warez groups start releasing hacked CAD files on the internet like movies or music.
Just think, we could be getting pirate copies of Pirate Agendas shapes one day!
haha i must say my name does stem from the idea of copying everything!!

imagine that - a chinese copy of a backyard copy of a tomo!! 3-)

gotta say though I was pretty stoked with 10 mins worth of scrubbing and a finished shape.

heres what she looks like now...

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 7061_n.jpg

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:55 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
pirate_agenda wrote: gotta say though I was pretty stoked with 10 mins worth of scrubbing and a finished shape.

heres what she looks like now...

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 7061_n.jpg

Yep, it reduces the time ... any more pics?

What's the dimensions / volume?
thats the only pic so far. will take some more once its glassed. don't like moving shaped blanks around too much for obvious reasons.

its 5'3 x 20 x 2 3/8, 30.5L quad summer groveller for a 75kg surfer.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
pirate_agenda wrote: ... don't like moving shaped blanks around too much for obvious reasons ...
:-? ... don't you like the f'up fairy visiting :?: :mrgreen:
I find she only visits if you invite her. So I try not to.