The Real Surf Backyarderz ... who are you?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: The Real Surf Backyarderz ... who are you?

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:52 pm

dUg wrote:I am seriously considering adding white pigment to the resin to hide the carbon fibre rail tape on my latest board. It's just so hard to make it look nice unless you do the whole board in 6oz Carbon cloth. :-? :shock:
Dug, just about any cloth will add SOME impact resistance. I once did a little test (not on a board) with some 75g non woven cloth under some Innegra, it is amazing how much difference it makes. If you have a look at Diverse Dave's blogy thing he has a new video mentioning some of the material he uses without being specific… imagine my surprise, there is the same cloth.

Yes, white pigment, but only to keep it coooooool.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:03 am

ric, i've been looking for some of that non woven cloth - any ideas where i may find some? only luck i've had so far is N-fusion cerex from the states.

Cheers

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 am

That cerex stuff looks a lot like that hemming tape you iron in to your pants to take them up.

I glassed some silk cloth into a deck couple of years ago, expensive excercise. The colour looked amazing before I glassed it... then it turned into a flat, blotchy looking blue.

Latest I'm trying is some metalic luster pigment, but the results have been less than spectaular. I hope another coat will help but I don't think it'll save it. The laps look sh1thouse. :(

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 am

i picked up some non woven polyester material from lincraft this morning to try. it has the same feel as cerex, not sure what the differences in properties is though.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:46 pm

pirate_agenda wrote:ric, i've been looking for some of that non woven cloth - any ideas where i may find some? only luck i've had so far is N-fusion cerex from the states.
P-A, the material I used was simply a 'tissue' from FGI, like a super fine chopped strand. Think it is generally used in vac bagging as a top layer.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 am

ric_vidal wrote:
pirate_agenda wrote:ric, i've been looking for some of that non woven cloth - any ideas where i may find some? only luck i've had so far is N-fusion cerex from the states.
P-A, the material I used was simply a 'tissue' from FGI, like a super fine chopped strand. Think it is generally used in vac bagging as a top layer.
yeah i got some stuff that looks similar - i was chasing nylon, but the lady at the fabric store said the tissue stuff is used to "bulk and stiffen" things like collars in suit making - the words bulk and stiffen indicates what i want it to do - dent resistance!

I also found a similar material at bunnings - frost blanket - that was 17gsm and polypropylene - for $2 a 1.8m x 5m roll.

Gunna test the lincraft stuff today and see what happens!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 am

P-A, only downfall with some stuff is can be thirsty or hard to work by normal means.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:33 am

I could use some 'bulk and stiffen' myself... I'm about to go another hollow wooden project, but using up all the left over stuff from the last three projects. So the bottom is going to be made from a 4oz glass/3mmbalsa/4oz glass laminate. Internals will be three 3ply frames running like parallel stringers with cross bracing every 12in. Shape is coming from a combination of the biscuit outline with 1.5in taken from the width, making it 19in or so. The rocker line off my Bing Quad and a single/double/V bottom. The deck will be 4mm Paulownia with one layer of 4oz.+ Epoxy resin. I'm going for super light(hopefully) with strength not so much a factor. Rails are balsa strips and overall thickness will be 2.5in. (geek)
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:53 am

ric_vidal wrote:P-A, only downfall with some stuff is can be thirsty or hard to work by normal means.
yeah i found that with my initial attempt with cerex.

Thinking spreading resin on the bare foam, laying panel of non woven, then laying other wovens, lam as normal and chuck in the bag - other option would be to use a wet out table and lay each fabric individually.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed May 15, 2013 1:45 pm

haven't been getting much shaping done lately due to other commitments. but did manage to pump out this little bad boy for myself.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Been a long time since I was in the shed too, but have just finished this one for my youngest.

Its a Sweetdumplingbakedcouchponynator...
Short (4'10") wide, and a bit of a nod to McCoy with lots of thickness carried through the tail. Hopefully he gets lots of waves on it.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue May 21, 2013 6:13 pm

wingnut - way too long for the artwork! i think 3 nights after dinner in front of the idiot box - probly 10 hours total i reckon.

yeah MF - that handsome devil in the night surf photo is I.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Can't believe I just stumbled on this post. I'm going to need an hour to read through the previous pages!

Looks like there's some good stuff out there, I look forward to contributing. I love this stuff!

Yew!
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:27 am

As some of you may or may-not know I work on a little island in the South Pacific where I run a construction company. I work a roster of 21 days on and 14 days off where I head back to the QLD Sunshine Coast to be with my wonderful family!

While at home my wife was getting annoyed that I'd lock myself in the shed building surfboards while I should have been spending time with the family (which I suppose is fair enough). So I decided to set up a little shaping bay over here where I can make boards after work, test them in amazing waves and then take them home.

I'm that hooked on shaping, glassing and sanding that we were looking at buying a new house closer to the beach and the number one rule was that it had to have room for a 9x6 garage / shed so that I could build my shaping bay! We eventually found the right place so as soon as we move over there and begin the renovations the shed will be on top of the list!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Pics of the bay ledge
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:09 pm

diggerdickson wrote:Pics of the bay ledge
I'm back home dig, I'll post some when Im back on the rock!

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:56 pm

My new nuggie! Massive thanks to Mr Mik & Surfywurfy for supplying some rocker measurements for me.

Only another 5 f#@king weeks for this to heal and I might get to test it out....

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Yep, looks very nice, love the double stringer!