Polishing a new board - car repair shop?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

silvynn
Grommet

Polishing a new board - car repair shop?

Post by silvynn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:07 pm

I've just collected a new board from my local shaper. He's finished it down to a 800 grit sandpaper finish, so she's nice but not super glossy. After looking up a few youtube vids on how to gloss a board, I thought I'd try myself, but quickly realised I don't have the equipment, and ain't about to go buy it for a one-off.

I decided at the minimum to sand it down with 1800 grit wet n dry. In my search for some 1800 sandpaper (Bunnings don't have) I ended up in the local smash repair shop. The bloke there reckons he can polish it for me, after all, he's got all the gear.

My question: Am I mad putting my new stick in the hands of a smash repairer? Can he really f**k it up? After all, he won't be taking significant glass off, just polishing. I think.

Quangers
Local

Re: Polishing a new board - car repair shop?

Post by Quangers » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Do it. He'll do a good job - that's what he does as a profession - how many shapers you know do 'showroom gloss coats'?

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 am

take it to a surfboard factory and get some1 who knows how to polish surfboards to do it!...a non surfboard polisher can take off the hard edges which change the shape and consequently the performance of that shape. :D
would you take your car to a board factory 4 a polish? :D

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:49 am

Go to Supercheap Auto, buy a polisher and a bottle of fibreglass polish and have a go. That stuff does not have enough grit to take any edge off, it will only shine up a dull surface.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart